Most annoying rifle you've owned

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Most annoying rifle you've owned

Post by northdude » 23 Jul 2022, 7:34 pm

For me it was a h&r handi rifle in 243. It was a good shooter but it had the common problem of the case getting stuck in the chamber (seems to mainly be the 243s that do it) and it wouldn't eject, tried every thing with it and then just when you'd thought you'd fixed it it would start doing it again was a real pita that rifle...
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Re: Most annoying rifle you've owned

Post by bigpete » 23 Jul 2022, 7:38 pm

For me there were 2.
First was a wichester featherweight chambered in 223wssm. Lovely light rifle with a fantastic trigger that just would not shoot for s**t.
Second was a chiappa double badger. Don't have space to list the f***ed up s**t that I went through with that pile of crap
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by dnedative » 23 Jul 2022, 7:52 pm

northdude wrote:For me it was a h&r handi rifle in 243. It was a good shooter but it had the common problem of the case getting stuck in the chamber (seems to mainly be the 243s that do it) and it wouldn't eject, tried every thing with it and then just when you'd thought you'd fixed it it would start doing it again was a real pita that rifle...

They must of been several cases deep into the bud lights when they decided to make an ejector break action rifle with no primary extraction.
They soon realised why nobody else does it
dnedative
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by No1Mk3 » 23 Jul 2022, 9:13 pm

Bentley Model 30 pump-action shotgun. Hated that gun.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 23 Jul 2022, 9:58 pm

Stirling 22 mag. When I got rid of it he said how much do you want for it. I said nothin .... I had a para ordinance 45 acp double stack mag. I hated that thing too ... and I was never fond of my sks
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by northdude » 23 Jul 2022, 10:18 pm

come to think of it my ar15 was a piece of crap as well. endless problems with it and when It was finally sorted I was totally over it and then we had to hand them in.
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by deye243 » 23 Jul 2022, 11:59 pm

The Tikka I bought a few months ago replaced it 6 odd weeks after I bought it with a Howa not looking back
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 24 Jul 2022, 12:11 am

Lever actions
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Faedy » 24 Jul 2022, 12:53 am

A Lakefield .22 I bought as a kid. It had a tubeag fed like ahit, and shot even worse.
Traded it for a Ruger 10/22.
Faedy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by northdude » 24 Jul 2022, 7:03 am

deye243 wrote:The Tikka I bought a few months ago replaced it 6 odd weeks after I bought it with a Howa not looking back

What was wrong with the tikka
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by bladeracer » 24 Jul 2022, 7:21 am

Not sure I've ever had anything really annoying, but getting my Marlin '94 .44Mag to shoot remotely well with cast bullets was a long frustrating endeavour.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by LawrenceA » 24 Jul 2022, 9:51 am

bladeracer wrote:Not sure I've ever had anything really annoying, but getting my Marlin '94 .44Mag to shoot remotely well with cast bullets was a long frustrating endeavour.

About to start down this road.
Any pointers?
One well placed shot is all it takes.
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by LawrenceA » 24 Jul 2022, 9:54 am

Currently
a Steyr 7mm RM that puts 3 or 4 shots in a group then shifts zero and a Marlin 27S that doesn't quite lock up enough to fire but enough to lock the action (have to disassemble to clear the chamber).
Historically a couple of 22's that wont feed consistently.
One well placed shot is all it takes.
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Boundry Rider » 24 Jul 2022, 10:10 am

CZ 455; don’t put a micrometer on the barrel while you’re torquing the action screws, you’ll want to throw the whole thing in the bin. Can’t get same poi with changing positions especially using various sling techniques. Going in the direction of a laminated or metallurgical gunstock now.
Escaped WALcatraz
Boundry Rider
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Billo » 24 Jul 2022, 10:21 am

Id have to say a Tikka too, bought a T1X 22lr a few years ago. Had my deposit in to grab one of the first released, super excited then discovered accuracy was ho hum. Threw every make of cheap and quality ammo and I just couldnt get the group size down below 2 moa consistently. Nice trigger and bolt throw great just very average accuracy.

I had a Ruger 17 WSM at the same time and it would shoot groups half the size of the Tikka, cemented my perception that Tikka's are over priced and overhyped :thumbsup:
22lr, 20 Hornady Hornet, 6mm ARC, 270 Win, 308 Win, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 S&W
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by mickb » 24 Jul 2022, 2:13 pm

chiappa double badger in 22/410. Misfires, poor firing pin strikes, didnt like the higher pressure rounds like velocitors( had to extract with a cleaning rod down the muzzle) 4" groups with everything at 50 yards. Two warranty jobs then finally sold it. Even selling it annoyed me as I had to be honest about how poorly it shot. :)
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Wm.Traynor » 24 Jul 2022, 3:24 pm

A Rossi Rio Grande.
Got fed up with all the things that went wrong and sold it. To be honest, I had mixed feelings because it was so accurate but what could I do, being so way out of pocket with trips to the smith.
A Mossberg 464
Six inch vertical groups at 50 yards, after the first few groups. Plus failure to feed, failure to fire and I forget what else. Inanity's blog came to the rescue hoffos.wordpress.com with an RTV bedding solution. Turned out to be a terrific lot of work but it sure fixed it. However, because of all the trouble, I do not recommend.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 24 Jul 2022, 4:19 pm

northdude wrote:
deye243 wrote:The Tikka I bought a few months ago replaced it 6 odd weeks after I bought it with a Howa not looking back

What was wrong with the tikka

The only projectile it would put into a group was a 55 grain Ballistic Tip ragged hole for 4 then 1 11/2" out but that is not what it was built for it was a 1 in 8 twist and yes I checked it came out correct would not put anything 75 to 80 grain in to less than 11/2 ".
I tried 75g eldm and Berger vld and 80g eldm and Berger with cci 400 cci450 ADI 2206H 2208 .
And a heap of seating depths .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 24 Jul 2022, 6:42 pm

mickb wrote:chiappa double badger in 22/410. Misfires, poor firing pin strikes, didnt like the higher pressure rounds like velocitors( had to extract with a cleaning rod down the muzzle) 4" groups with everything at 50 yards. Two warranty jobs then finally sold it. Even selling it annoyed me as I had to be honest about how poorly it shot. :)

Yep. Same as mine. Except I was told it was all my fault,I didn't know how to operate a gun,and that they'd fix the problem but if it happened again they wouldn't honor the warranty. And the problem was going to happen again due to a design fault
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by dnedative » 24 Jul 2022, 8:14 pm

LawrenceA wrote:
bladeracer wrote:Not sure I've ever had anything really annoying, but getting my Marlin '94 .44Mag to shoot remotely well with cast bullets was a long frustrating endeavour.

Any pointers?

Micro groove yeah?
Hard cast (hardball), thou oversize and gas checked.
dnedative
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 24 Jul 2022, 8:47 pm

LawrenceA wrote:

Any pointers?

Get the fattest mould you can, CBE do a .432" mould which works for me - it actually throws bullets about .433" with the alloy I'm using. Some people have to go even bigger though, I think fortunecookie45LC had to go bigger than .432". I cast the bullets then pushed some through a sizing die, powder-coated them, test fired them, honed the die out further, sized, coated and tested some bullets, and so on until they finally started to stabilise. It really wasn't much fun at all, but it did eventually get me to a reasonable result, though still well short of jacketed-bullet accuracy. Scoped off the bench they give me about 150mm groups at 100m. Jacketed bullets are about half the group size.

I ended up using three-parts Bronzewing 7-1/2 shot and one-part 60/40 solder, gas checked and powder-coated twice. I don't have the email from Bronzewing but they told me it was 3.5% antimony from memory, I don't think it was the "standard" 4% you'd expect from "Magnum Shot". I have a fair bit of this shot as I bought cases of field loads and swapped in BB's and Lee slugs. The solder adds a lot more tin than you actually need, and makes the 250gn mould throw the bullets closer to 225gn. Should give an alloy around 15.5BHN, don't recall if I ever actually measured the hardness but it's on par with commercial bullets. You may well get similar results from simply melting commercial bullets, and probably cheaper than buying shot and solder.

The rifle shoots great with jacketed bullets, it's only cast that are an issue.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by dnedative » 24 Jul 2022, 9:02 pm

Thankfully Ruger bought out Marlin and anything to do with microgroove rifling probably went in the bin assuming Remington had anything left ;)

Woolies sell copper scouring pads, wrap that around a brush to get the lead out :D
dnedative
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by mickb » 24 Jul 2022, 10:01 pm

LawrenceA wrote:

Any pointers?
'

Marlins 1:38 twist, variably oversized bores and micro rifling can be frustrating. 44 cal in levers probably have more bore variance than any other calibre. . Rossis anywhere from .429 to .433, win/miroku .432, Ruiger 96/44 as large as .434 I think. Even the browning the classiest of the lot with a .432 bore and 1:38 twist. Coversely 44 revolvers usually have might tighter twists and less bore variance.

40-50 years customers have been noting this to the gun companies but year after year the engineers in the rifle making section seem to just throw darts at a dart board to choose bore size :crazy:
Last edited by mickb on 24 Jul 2022, 10:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Over The Hill » 24 Jul 2022, 10:06 pm

Armalite AR7
Never could get it to feed consistently without jamming. Knowing what I do now I was probably feeding it the wrong ammo.
Over The Hill
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 24 Jul 2022, 11:50 pm

You too,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Plus another post here in this thread also not liking Tikkas
My issue with the Tikka I bought (new) was a .223
When I listed the issues I was having,,, there were some on here that poo pooed what I was saying.

I too sold the Tikka flat out like a lizard drinking.
I replaced it with a Howa as well.

Mental note to oneself,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I'll never ever buy another Tikka
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by wrenchman » 25 Jul 2022, 3:54 am

remington 700 adl in 270 bolt release would stick and trigger was real bad after getting it right i was offered a real nice 700 bdl in 270 and i bought it i just lost faith in the adl.
i sold it to a friend that was going to africa and loved it said he never had a issue with it.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by 22Whorenut » 31 Jul 2022, 4:50 pm

22K Hornet Anschutz. It was a one trick pony … shot 2 moa plus with every projectile except one.
The one that it shot was a 35gr Vmax which blew around in the wind …
22Whorenut
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles