Rifle on a budget

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Rifle on a budget

Post by yoshie » 07 Aug 2022, 5:13 pm

I've bought a few budget rifles over the years. My first was a Marlin XL-7, this would be my pick but they aren't made anymore. I've also got a Howa and a Zastava. The Zastava is a great commercial Mauser made in Serbia. But my pick would be the Howa. They're just solid good quality guns. All of them are available in 308 and 30-06/Magnum lengths actions.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Aug 2022, 5:22 pm

yoshie wrote:I've bought a few budget rifles over the years. My first was a Marlin XL-7, this would be my pick but they aren't made anymore. I've also got a Howa and a Zastava. The Zastava is a great commercial Mauser made in Serbia. But my pick would be the Howa. They're just solid good quality guns. All of them are available in 308 and 30-06/Magnum lengths actions.

I have two. They are great value.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by yoshie » 07 Aug 2022, 5:28 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
yoshie wrote:I've bought a few budget rifles over the years. My first was a Marlin XL-7, this would be my pick but they aren't made anymore. I've also got a Howa and a Zastava. The Zastava is a great commercial Mauser made in Serbia. But my pick would be the Howa. They're just solid good quality guns. All of them are available in 308 and 30-06/Magnum lengths actions.

I have two. They are great value.

Yep, I wish I bought a more of them before they were discontinued.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Johnat21 » 27 Aug 2022, 4:42 am

bladeracer wrote:
Johnat21 wrote:Hey bladeracer, I need a police clearance because I've lived outside of Australia while over the age of 16, I've had a look at a few guns now and my birthday budget will now stretch to a Tikka T3x hunter, but im thinking cheaper rifle with better optics atm... I will be hunting around Marysville and Eildon region with a buddy. I don't self load, as I said, I'm a complete novice.... I will probably spend more time at the range than hunting until I get the hang of rifle shooting instead of shotgun.
Thanks for all the replies, there is a lot to think about...

Thanks John, never heard of that before, regarding living outside the country in the past requiring international checks.

If you think you'll mainly be shooting at clubs I would focus on a rifle that suits that. You ca adapt it to hunting later on, or buy something better suited.

Do you a particular interest in some kind of competition, like PRS or Silhouette?

Not really interested in competition shooting (unless of course I miraculously find out I'm good at it).
It will probably be range shooting to get the hang of the gun and to get my eye in again after 11 years of not picking up a gun...
Tikka T3X Hunter S/S 270win
Savage A22R Pro Varmint 22wmr
Johnat21
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 27 Aug 2022, 8:30 am

Johnat21 wrote:Not really interested in competition shooting (unless of course I miraculously find out I'm good at it).
It will probably be range shooting to get the hang of the gun and to get my eye in again after 11 years of not picking up a gun...

I use the .22LR for all that practice, I put 870rds through the Ruger Precision this month already, plus I've used the Henry H001 and the SMLE this week, and even got the air-rifles out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWeH7Ad381g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWsOrFsEtXc
I don't think you need to use a centrefire to hone the basic skills, just time on the trigger.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Pokeyjoes » 28 Aug 2022, 7:13 pm

I've got a 270win in the weatherby vanguard. It's a great rifle for the price and mines topped with a zerotech trace scope, can't fault the rifle and the scope
Pokeyjoes
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles