Has Howa cornered the market for cheap centrefire rifles?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Has Howa cornered the market for cheap centrefire rifles

Post by bladeracer » 16 Nov 2022, 4:30 pm

jwai86 wrote:Returning to the topic of Howa rifles, I know that the floorplate on the older long and short action models can be changed to accept detachable magazines. On the other hand, is there merit in leaving the stock magazine configuration as is?

In a centrefire hunting rifle the fixed magazine is not a bad thing, impossible for it fall out in the field or get left at home. Also impossible to sit or step on it and crush it.

But if you like to carry different loads it's a pain as it's a little more fiddly if you want to drop in a different round for a specific target. And it's a little easier and safer to unload with a detachable mag, to cross a road or track for example.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Nov 2022, 4:46 pm

bladeracer wrote:
jwai86 wrote:Returning to the topic of Howa rifles, I know that the floorplate on the older long and short action models can be changed to accept detachable magazines. On the other hand, is there merit in leaving the stock magazine configuration as is?

In a centrefire hunting rifle the fixed magazine is not a bad thing, impossible for it fall out in the field or get left at home. Also impossible to sit or step on it and crush it.

But if you like to carry different loads it's a pain as it's a little more fiddly if you want to drop in a different round for a specific target. And it's a little easier and safer to unload with a detachable mag, to cross a road or track for example.

Spot on.
I prefer internal magazine. My first BA 30.06 was the cheaper of the Win Mod70. (I still have it) Internal and no floor plate.
All three are the same. Wouldn't have it any other way now. You soon get used to it.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by dnedative » 17 Nov 2022, 4:21 pm

5 round internal box magazine that's flush with the stock is where its at for a hunting rifle; People buy magazine conversions for hunting rifles for the same reason why people buy heavy profiled barreled rifles in target chassis for hunting rifles, in their minds it looks awesome and they might think it works fairly well but they are missing out. Its just more s**t to carry with more things to fall off, forget or lose.

My hunting rifle advise is to buy the lightest gun that you can shoot well that's in your budget and dont over scope it. Preferably stainless in a synthetic stock cause at some stage it will rain, it will get damp and you very well might end up crossing a creek with it etc
dnedative
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by jwai86 » 18 Nov 2022, 12:02 pm

bladeracer wrote:In a centrefire hunting rifle the fixed magazine is not a bad thing, impossible for it fall out in the field or get left at home. Also impossible to sit or step on it and crush it.

I vaguely recall reading that the rounds in the fixed magazine can be emptied out by opening up the floorplate. Is doing that in the field particularly fiddly?
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 18 Nov 2022, 12:49 pm

jwai86 wrote:
bladeracer wrote:In a centrefire hunting rifle the fixed magazine is not a bad thing, impossible for it fall out in the field or get left at home. Also impossible to sit or step on it and crush it.

I vaguely recall reading that the rounds in the fixed magazine can be emptied out by opening up the floorplate. Is doing that in the field particularly fiddly?

Depends on the design, most rifles allow this some don't, I'm not familiar with the Howa. As these fixed mags are generally in the three to five round capacity it's not too difficult to unload it this way. Paul Harrell did a video of these things and managed to drop a round or two when he unloaded. In poor light or long grass it's possible you could lose most or all of the ammo if you dropped it, which would be bloody annoying, but you're probably just as likely to lose them cycling them through the action to unload.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyaHi7T8JFs
2:20 for the loading/unloading and 14:00 to see him firing the Mosin with a bunch of deer standing just behind him :-)
Note that I absolutely disagree with his technique of chambering a round, putting the safety on, and slinging a hot rifle over his shoulder - do not wander around in the bush with a round chamber relying on the safety, you do not have any reason to chamber a round until you have or expect to immediately have a target in sight.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 18 Nov 2022, 2:29 pm

I have 3 BA rifles with blind internal magazines.
To empty there is no need to close the bolt. (controlled feed may be different)
Simply use/work the bolt to strip the cartridges out of the mag, if held correctly, gravity does the rest.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 18 Nov 2022, 3:04 pm

jwai86 wrote:

No it is not just hold a firearm in a manner and a safe direction of course open the bolt extract the cartridge that is in the chamber if there is one cup one hand under the floor plate open the floor plate with the other hand and they all just drop in doesn't even take 5 seconds once you've practise it with a few dummy rounds if you've never done it before
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 18 Nov 2022, 5:07 pm

Oldbloke wrote:I have 3 BA rifles with blind internal magazines.
Simply use/work the bolt to strip the cartridges out of the mag, if held correctly, gravity does the rest.

That IS controlled feed,if the extractor engages the rim without the bolt being closed....
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 18 Nov 2022, 5:17 pm

bigpete wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:I have 3 BA rifles with blind internal magazines.

That IS controlled feed,if the extractor engages the rim without the bolt being closed....

Nope, they just slide out of the mag & are pushed into the chamber. If you push the bolt far enough.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 18 Nov 2022, 6:03 pm

I have a couple or a few 2000 dollar rifles and a 2700 dollar maral but my main rifle I have set up for my next hunt is just a cheap blued howa in a cheap hogue stock . Sometimes we just choose something simple and they work
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by niceshot » 15 Mar 2024, 9:08 pm

Personally I don't think that Howa has it all to themselves. My opinion is that they are good but that's because they are better than Ruger American and Savage Axis by far. they are only a couple of hundred bucks more than a Ruger. My personal preference is Weatherby Vangaurd s2 synthetic. They are very well made even though most think they are a Howa, there not. Actions are made by Howa to Weatherby specs. For a few bucks more you get a better rifle with a sub moa guarantee. I paid $1195 for a 223rem varminter with fluted barrel and that puts three shots into one hole at 175 yards by my Leopold range finder. That's pretty damded good. Admittedly it wears a decent scope, a4-20×50 Zerotech which I find good value too. I think I paid $700 for that plus a pair of Tally mounts and you have a very good outfit for the small to medium game shooter. To go a bit bigger I bought another in .308win for $995 a year ago. that shoots 3/4" at 100yards all day for 3 shots. that wear a zerotech 4.5-18×40, I don't have a problem with the extra magnification as you have it low unless you need it. I have a Howa 22lr and that is a good little rifle but the stock leaves a lot to be desired. Not that it's bad but it's like holding a 4x2. Shoots like hell, 3/8" at 55 yrds for 10 shots. $1100 for the outfit. That's got a Vortex 3-9×40 Diamondback on it. Came with mounts and 2 mags, great little rabbit rifle. so got to the top of the budget lines and you really get value for money.
niceshot
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by gunderson » 15 Mar 2024, 9:10 pm

Ive got a howa and a weatherby vanguard, they are both sub moa and both great, reliable very sturdy rifles. and for the price, cant beat them.
gunderson
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by AlHow » 31 Mar 2024, 8:25 pm

niceshot wrote:Personally I don't think that Howa has it all to themselves. My opinion is that they are good but that's because they are better than Ruger American and Savage Axis by far. they are only a couple of hundred bucks more than a Ruger. My personal preference is Weatherby Vangaurd s2 synthetic. They are very well made even though most think they are a Howa, there not. Actions are made by Howa to Weatherby specs. For a few bucks more you get a better rifle with a sub moa guarantee. I paid $1195 for a 223rem varminter with fluted barrel and that puts three shots into one hole at 175 yards by my Leopold range finder. That's pretty damded good. Admittedly it wears a decent scope, a4-20×50 Zerotech which I find good value too. I think I paid $700 for that plus a pair of Tally mounts and you have a very good outfit for the small to medium game shooter. To go a bit bigger I bought another in .308win for $995 a year ago. that shoots 3/4" at 100yards all day for 3 shots. that wear a zerotech 4.5-18×40, I don't have a problem with the extra magnification as you have it low unless you need it. I have a Howa 22lr and that is a good little rifle but the stock leaves a lot to be desired. Not that it's bad but it's like holding a 4x2. Shoots like hell, 3/8" at 55 yrds for 10 shots. $1100 for the outfit. That's got a Vortex 3-9×40 Diamondback on it. Came with mounts and 2 mags, great little rabbit rifle. so got to the top of the budget lines and you really get value for money.

Howa .223 varmint $595 Cleaverfirearms.
AlHow
Private
Private

-

Post by Blr243 » 01 Apr 2024, 2:19 pm

I m waiting for a pta so I can collect my new 223. Sporter barrel because all my heavy barrelled howas are to heavy to carry. 565 I think it was. It’s so easy to go straight to a howa when money is a bit tight
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Peter988 » 01 Apr 2024, 5:35 pm

I considered Howa for the last 223 but ended up going Sauer as they were also a reasonably cheap rifle that had good reviews.
Peter988
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 01 Apr 2024, 6:18 pm

dnedative wrote:5 round internal box magazine that's flush with the stock is where its at for a hunting rifle; People buy magazine conversions for hunting rifles for the same reason why people buy heavy profiled barreled rifles in target chassis for hunting rifles, in their minds it looks awesome and they might think it works fairly well but they are missing out. Its just more s**t to carry with more things to fall off, forget or lose.

My hunting rifle advise is to buy the lightest gun that you can shoot well that's in your budget and dont over scope it. Preferably stainless in a synthetic stock cause at some stage it will rain, it will get damp and you very well might end up crossing a creek with it etc

You and I have very similar thought patterns
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles