It hasn't been fired, only dropped once?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

It hasn't been fired, only dropped once?

Post by SHV » 13 Aug 2022, 8:10 pm

IMG_7528.JPG
IMG_7528.JPG (562.71 KiB) Viewed 2169 times
SHV
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Re: It hasn't been fired, only dropped once?

Post by SHV » 13 Aug 2022, 8:11 pm

IMG_7531.JPG
IMG_7531.JPG (540.5 KiB) Viewed 2168 times
SHV
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Vince24 » 13 Aug 2022, 10:03 pm

I will pretend I haven't seen the title of this thread !;)

Sadly despite being French, I don't have any Mas 36, I was affraid it would not pass the custom in Australia (no safety at all on this rifle!! - yes the mood was to cost-cutting in France at that time) so I did not get any before moving.

So SHV are you able to tell us a bit more on this rifle, how does it compare to your other rifles, shooting-wise?
Vince24
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by No1Mk3 » 13 Aug 2022, 10:34 pm

I will also ignore the silly title, and say that the MAS36 is a very good rifle, and with good ammo will perform very well out to 500m. My own was one of the ones that went through FTR in the 1960's and was not used after that. The only fault with mine is a sharpish corner on the rear sight wings that will cut the back of the thumb if you don't "palm" the bolt closed, nothing a whetstone wouldn't fix. The main issue with the MAS36 here is the great difficulty getting rear sight elements to zero in the sight but apart from that I would put it up against most other short rifles or carbines.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by SHV » 15 Aug 2022, 9:52 am

Vince24 wrote:I will pretend I haven't seen the title of this thread !;)

Sadly despite being French, I don't have any Mas 36, I was affraid it would not pass the custom in Australia (no safety at all on this rifle!! - yes the mood was to cost-cutting in France at that time) so I did not get any before moving.

So SHV are you able to tell us a bit more on this rifle, how does it compare to your other rifles, shooting-wise?

sorry for the silly joke, this is my friend's new purchase, he got a pack of old military ammo for free from the LGS but I don't think shoot it will be a good idea, so it's long way to go to find ammo or reload to shoot

rifle is light weight and easy to handle, a bit front heavy but once remove the bayonet it's perfect balanced, two stage trigger is heavy but crisp, bolt is smooth, it's a nice rifle
I'll keep it original and clean up a little bit and put more photos later
SHV
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by SHV » 15 Aug 2022, 12:46 pm

IMG_7600.JPG
IMG_7600.JPG (623.48 KiB) Viewed 2025 times
SHV
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by SHV » 15 Aug 2022, 12:47 pm

IMG_7610.JPG
IMG_7610.JPG (613.18 KiB) Viewed 2025 times
SHV
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by SHV » 15 Aug 2022, 12:48 pm

IMG_7622.JPG
IMG_7622.JPG (635.99 KiB) Viewed 2025 times
SHV
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by SHV » 15 Aug 2022, 12:49 pm

IMG_7630.JPG
IMG_7630.JPG (560.47 KiB) Viewed 2025 times
SHV
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by SHV » 15 Aug 2022, 12:50 pm

IMG_7611.JPG
IMG_7611.JPG (634.37 KiB) Viewed 2025 times
SHV
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by No1Mk3 » 15 Aug 2022, 4:43 pm

G'day SHV,
Hope the ammo wasn't that Syrian surplus, mostly fail to fire or click-bang, even worse than that POF 303 stuff. Cases for the 7.5x54 can be made from 6.5x55 Swede, someone imported a swag of PPU brass for it a few years ago, may see some of it around the traps now and then. Out of curiosity, what is the serial prefix letter? Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by cz515 » 15 Aug 2022, 7:01 pm

Hey No1Mk3 do you know anyone where i could get a couple of the brass of the POF 303.

Just to add to my collection of brass. (Hoping i never have to reloacte to WA).
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 15 Aug 2022, 9:10 pm

cz515 wrote:Hey No1Mk3 do you know anyone where i could get a couple of the brass of the POF 303.

Just to add to my collection of brass. (Hoping i never have to reloacte to WA).

I should still have some in the shed, I will have a look tomorrow and PM you with details, Cheers
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by cz515 » 15 Aug 2022, 10:33 pm

Thanks
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Gun-nut » 15 Aug 2022, 10:45 pm

Love the MAS 36, awesome looking rifle with the bayonet that inspired the design on the fg42. Doesn't PPU make 7.5x54? surely some of that has been imported into the country?
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 16 Aug 2022, 7:16 pm

No white flag bayonet attachment?
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Vince24 » 16 Aug 2022, 11:56 pm

The "dropped once" is historically incorrect.
Indeed, they were dropped twice, one time in June 40, and another time in 1954 at Dien Bien Phu!

Joke aside, most of the Mas 36 were actually produced after WW2.

In France they are not so popular with the competitive shooters - despite their accuracy potential - because:
- thick front post (the opposite of a 1903...)
- super heavy trigger
- short line of sight (compared to a P17...)
- sling on the side,
- and the impossibility to easily adjust windage. The front post can't move. You have got to have the whole selection of rear sights leafs, each giving a different windage, and pick the one that does the good sighting in. In the army this was done at units level, and once done, nobody would touch the rifle anymore.That's a few million years away from the nice windage adjustable rear sight of the early SMLEs or of the 1903...

It was clearly a rifle designed with the WW1 experience for maximum efficiciency, easy handling and reliability in short distance fighting in tough conditions - not a sniper rifle at all.
-
Vince24
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Return to Centerfire rifles