Best ammo for Tikka T3x Aspire in 223rem

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Best ammo for Tikka T3x Aspire in 223rem

Post by jamie_blue » 14 Aug 2022, 10:47 pm

Hi folks. Just got a new Tikka T3x Aspire in 223rem. Does anyone have any ammo recommendations? I've got a box of the Sako 55gr softpoints and also some ADI 55gr blitzking to start with.

Interestingly, it's based off the T3x Superlite, so it you've got recommendations for that, that might also help.
jamie_blue
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Best ammo for Tikka T3x Aspire in 223rem

Post by deye243 » 14 Aug 2022, 11:01 pm

No recommendations generally won't help every barrel is different they all have their likes and dislikes regardless of model and make best you can do is buy some and test them the barrel will tell you what it likes but I think you'll be on a winner with the Sako 55 grain .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 15 Aug 2022, 12:31 am

Precisely what Deye243 said,,,,,,,,,,,,
Every barrel throws that little bit of lead differently.
Just say your prayers,, and hope that it doesn't have an expensive taste.

Or you could go down the reloading road and give it a custom diet, but I'm not the person to be discussing that cos I don't do it myself.
There are plenty of blokes on here that do reload though.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by 22Whorenut » 15 Aug 2022, 7:32 pm

Just quickly, which barrel twist did your Aspire come with? Either 1/12 or 1/8.
Cheers,
Marcus.
22Whorenut
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 15 Aug 2022, 11:17 pm

Yep what they say is true mate. To answer your question though, I have a Tikka T3X that loves the Aussie Outback with 55gn Sierra Blitzking.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Boundry Rider » 15 Aug 2022, 11:57 pm

As said, what’s your twist rate?
Escaped WALcatraz
Boundry Rider
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by albat » 18 Aug 2022, 7:45 am

I have this rifle in 1:8 mine shoots hornady tap 60gr and fiochi 60gr extremely wellI believe it's the same projectile in both cartridges both
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Boundry Rider » 18 Aug 2022, 8:28 am

Well if the OP comes back to view this post, if you’re a 1:8 twist I’d recommend ADI Aussie outback 62G Sierra. I’ve had these across the crony and they’re in the high 2900FPS range in my 1:9 Hawkeye and are 1/2 MOA.

I reload Nosler 60G Varmint Ballistic tip to 3120FPS and 1/4 MOA.

At an 8 twist barrel you want a projectile weight of 60>G, 55G and less are likely to not stabilize and therefore not group well.
Escaped WALcatraz
Boundry Rider
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 18 Aug 2022, 8:59 am

Boundry Rider wrote:Well if the OP comes back to view this post, if you’re a 1:8 twist I’d recommend ADI Aussie outback 62G Sierra. I’ve had these across the crony and they’re in the high 2900FPS range in my 1:9 Hawkeye and are 1/2 MOA.

At an 8 twist barrel you want a projectile weight of 60>G, 55G and less are likely to not stabilize and therefore not group well.

My 8"-twist shoots everything just fine, from the stubby little 35gn VMax to the 80gn ELDM. It also shoots 30gn bullets but I haven't tried pushing those at speed.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Boundry Rider » 18 Aug 2022, 3:22 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Boundry Rider wrote:Well if the OP comes back to view this post, if you’re a 1:8 twist I’d recommend ADI Aussie outback 62G Sierra. I’ve had these across the crony and they’re in the high 2900FPS range in my 1:9 Hawkeye and are 1/2 MOA.

My 8"-twist shoots everything just fine, from the stubby little 35gn VMax to the 80gn ELDM. It also shoots 30gn bullets but I haven't tried pushing those at speed.

Some are sure to perform differently as usual in firearms activity. However it is interesting to hear, are your examples handloads?
Escaped WALcatraz
Boundry Rider
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 18 Aug 2022, 6:37 pm

Boundry Rider wrote:My 8"-twist shoots everything just fine, from the stubby little 35gn VMax to the 80gn ELDM. It also shoots 30gn bullets but I haven't tried pushing those at speed.

Some are sure to perform differently as usual in firearms activity. However it is interesting to hear, are your examples handloads?[/quote]

I only shoot handloads, I very rarely use factory ammo other than rimfire and shotgun.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 18 Aug 2022, 9:49 pm

If your not into handloading, there is always rimfires...
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles