Preferred method for cleaning CZ 17 Hornet

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Preferred method for cleaning CZ 17 Hornet

Post by Timboon » 16 Aug 2022, 12:59 am

Gday Fellas,

Thanks in advance to anyone that can ease my mind here or offer me some advice...

My CZ 17 Hornet is most likely still in the run in stage with less than 200 rounds put through it.

I only have a few shots ( generally ) each time I pull it out and sometimes it is months between having a shot so when I stow it I patch it out and then run a slightly wet oily patch through it to store it.

Next time it comes out - A few dry ones through it and away I go...

I guess my issue is - I have heard it plenty of times you can do more harm than good cleaning them too often and it somewhat feels that way to me...

I have a Taylors 17cal rod and a good quality Jag. I use Pro Shot patches which are ok without being too tight.

Each time the rod goes through it feels like it isn't sliding patch on metal it feels like its metal on metal and when you look at the jag its of a smaller dia to the rod naturally as it has to then have the patch around it...

So my question is really only to those who run a 17, How often and how do you manage the little calibre and get the most accuracy out of it without over doing the cleaning ( i'm happy to do what is required provided it is necessary )...

Again - Thanks in advance - Timboon
Timboon
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: Preferred method for cleaning CZ 17 Hornet

Post by keenstalking22 » 16 Aug 2022, 5:18 am

Don't have a .17 but the point of the rod and jag is that they are made out of a softer material than the hard steel barrel. I wouldn't really worry about it unless it was super tight. If you try putting in just the jag and rod without a patch, is it still really tight? You may be using too large patches.

Again I don't have a .17, but over time I just clean my firearms less often because it simply isn't necessary. I clean only if I have been in any moisture or wetness, the rifle has a lot more carbon residue than id like or if accuracy is taking a drop. If you're going to store them for years + that's when I would put a coat of oil over the entire thing including bore. I store firearms for months or even a year at this point with a dirty bore no problem. I doubt "over cleaning" is actually doing any harm to the rifle, its just not necessary to clean that much, so why bother wasting time for little to no benefit. If anything it may be more consistent to not clean the rifle that often, as you will only have a clean bore for the first few shots, with the other 99% being dirty.
keenstalking22
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by Timboon » 16 Aug 2022, 8:09 pm

Fair comment mate, with no disrespect I was hoping one of the CZ 17 Hornet fellas would give me their first hand experience with what works best to keep their rifle as accurate as possible...

I have a Winchester Mod 70 .308 that I don't give much love too but that doesn't need to be as accurate throwing 150-170 grain pills...
Timboon
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Bills Shed » 16 Aug 2022, 9:33 pm

I have a little 17H and I do pretty much the same as you do. Some times there will be only 5rounds fired, others, 50 or more. As the round count goes up, I do not see a depreciation of accuracy. Saying that, I have replaced my barrel since i bought the rifle new. New barrel has a far better chamber and is so much smoother than the original moly barrel. In the end the Old barrel did not seem to have the accuracy i expected any more.
I run a few patches of Sweets 762 through it, let it sit for a good while, give it a scrub with a nylon brush and then patch out until clean. Oily patch to finish. My biggest concern was rust as it went out in all weather. New barrel is stainless and is not so much of an issue.
You are not going to hurt the barrel with a brass jag. I do use a plastic coated cleaning rod.

Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Timboon » 16 Aug 2022, 11:20 pm

Thanks Bill!

Couple of things there...

Firstly I use Tipton Jags and after a bit of homework, I have found they are Nickel coated ( unsure over what material ) however the jag doesn't bother me so much, its the larger diameter ( than the jag ) rod that slightly worry's me...

A plastic coated cleaning rod sounds like a better idea to me as does a brass Jag...
Timboon
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Return to Centerfire rifles