what bullets with a 1:9 twist 223

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

what bullets with a 1:9 twist 223

Post by mickb » 25 Aug 2022, 6:35 pm

I decided to start using a 223 I bought a while back. At the time I wanted a 24" sporter barrel and tight-ish twist off the shelf so a weatherby vanguard with 1:9 got the nod. Where does this get me to with heavier bullets fellas? I know stabilisatio is about bullet length, not weight per se, so just after general ballparks here. I did pick up some 64 grain winchester power point ammo and was going to run that first, reckon it will do okay? Purpose is small to medium game to 300 yards, nothing fancy.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Re: what bullets with a 1:9 twist 223

Post by Oldbloke » 25 Aug 2022, 6:52 pm

The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wyliecoyote » 25 Aug 2022, 6:55 pm

69 grain SMKs and 75 Amax/ELDs will work in the 9 twist. 80 grain SMKs and ELDs will not. The SMKs are useless beyond paper but the ELDs are good on game.
For hunting bullets that punch well above their weight, 62 TSXs are the ticket in your 9 twist.
Wyliecoyote
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by mickb » 25 Aug 2022, 7:39 pm

Thanks fellas and for the cut-off comparison there wyliecoyote. I actually grabbed a few boxes of different barnes bullets when I got the gun. Will pull them out and check which weights.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bladeracer » 25 Aug 2022, 7:52 pm

mickb wrote:I decided to start using a 223 I bought a while back. At the time I wanted a 24" sporter barrel and tight-ish twist off the shelf so a weatherby vanguard with 1:9 got the nod. Where does this get me to with heavier bullets fellas? I know stabilisation is about bullet length, not weight per se, so just after general ballparks here. I did pick up some 64 grain winchester power point ammo and was going to run that first, reckon it will do okay? Purpose is small to medium game to 300 yards, nothing fancy.

9" twist works up to almost one-inch length in .224".
Up around the 70gn area, though a flat-base soft-point might go 80gn if somebody makes one.
Can't find a length for the 64gn Winchester but unless it's an ELD or VLD I would expect it to work fine.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Boundry Rider » 26 Aug 2022, 12:28 pm

I have 1/4 MOA with these @3120FPS using AR2208:
39473 Nosler 22 Cal 60g Ballistic Tip Varmint
Escaped WALcatraz
Boundry Rider
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by mickb » 26 Aug 2022, 3:49 pm

bladeracer wrote:
mickb wrote:I decided to start using a 223 I bought a while back. At the time I wanted a 24" sporter barrel and tight-ish twist off the shelf so a weatherby vanguard with 1:9 got the nod. Where does this get me to with heavier bullets fellas? I know stabilisation is about bullet length, not weight per se, so just after general ballparks here. I did pick up some 64 grain winchester power point ammo and was going to run that first, reckon it will do okay? Purpose is small to medium game to 300 yards, nothing fancy.

9" twist works up to almost one-inch length in .224".
Up around the 70gn area, though a flat-base soft-point might go 80gn if somebody makes one.
Can't find a length for the 64gn Winchester but unless it's an ELD or VLD I would expect it to work fine.

Thanks Blade, sounds good.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 26 Aug 2022, 4:56 pm

Perhaps this is of use?. Not sure. I just measured couple of pills. Ave of 3.
Hornady 62gr SP TAP. Barrier. 20.12mm

Sierra Super Roo 55gr #1365k 18.59mm
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by mickb » 28 Aug 2022, 3:50 pm

good to know, cheers oldbloke
mickb