Marlin 1895 Trapper anyone?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Marlin 1895 Trapper anyone?

Post by allthegearandnoidea » 05 Sep 2022, 6:24 pm

With a 16” barrel and Skinner peep sights looks like a good thing in 45/70
What does everyone think as a handy sambar bang stick? Also now made by Ruger so not a bad thing
allthegearandnoidea
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Marlin 1895 Trapper anyone?

Post by Border_Bloke » 06 Sep 2022, 1:04 pm

I saw Ruger bought them out. Probably the easiest model to make second seeing as the actions, woodwork etc were already in production for the 19" model.

Being so short and light I'd imagine the noise and recoil would be worse than the 19" version with heavy handloads. I prefer the look of the sights on the trapper (if you were using open sights) but I think you'd need to remove them to mount a scope (I may be wrong). The 19" 1895 SBL comes with pic rail for scope mounting so you can have both.

That's my 2c worth anyway.
Border_Bloke
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 06 Sep 2022, 3:13 pm

Too short. Would be deafening
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 06 Sep 2022, 4:08 pm

allthegearandnoidea wrote:With a 16” barrel and Skinner peep sights looks like a good thing in 45/70
What does everyone think as a handy sambar bang stick? Also now made by Ruger so not a bad thing

Doesn't sound like much fun at the range :-)
This mob tested the .45-70 by cutting an inch off the barrel. From 20" to 16" only lost about 90fps with 325gn and 405gn bullets, so velocity isn't really an issue with the 16" barrel. https://matchgrademachine.com/velocity-testing-thompson-center-barrels/#government
It's about 300fps more than you're likely to see from a .44Mag 325gn load in a 16" so it's still pretty strong.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by wrenchman » 06 Sep 2022, 11:37 pm

That is a really popular model it is why ruger is is making it.
My son has a cowboy model and was picking up 4570 ammunition this weekend and it is scary the price it's going 70 dollars u.s. a box he reloads so it will be offset and was buying it for the brass to
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Wrangler » 09 Sep 2022, 6:12 pm

No thanks
Too short
Too loud
Too light
Too much recoil
Unbalanced.