.308Win barrel length test by MDT

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

.308Win barrel length test by MDT

Post by bladeracer » 08 Sep 2022, 11:24 am

Measuring velocity from 69" down to 19" in .308Win.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCqa2umL8ME
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: .308Win barrel length test by MDT

Post by JohnV » 11 Sep 2022, 10:11 am

Interesting test . I think there is a glitch in their test results around the 25 1/2 inch mark . It's not going to suddenly drop like that and then climb again .
Getting 69 inch barrel out the truck window would be a bit cumbersome but the muzzle blast would be light . Think I will just stick to 22 to 26.5 inch barrels .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bladeracer » 11 Sep 2022, 12:34 pm

JohnV wrote:Interesting test . I think there is a glitch in their test results around the 25 1/2 inch mark . It's not going to suddenly drop like that and then climb again .
Getting 69 inch barrel out the truck window would be a bit cumbersome but the muzzle blast would be light . Think I will just stick to 22 to 26.5 inch barrels .

I really expected it to start slowing down toward the end of that tube.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 11 Sep 2022, 1:12 pm

It's going to depend on the powder speed a real slow powder will like the longer barrel more than the faster powder . There is a whole lot of variables associated with this kind of thing so it's interesting but not conclusive in all situations . I also expected to see more slow down at those extreme barrel lengths but when you watch most muzzle blasts there is a lot of pressure lost in the average 22 inch barrel . However the graph did flatten out pretty much .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Return to Centerfire rifles