Blaser vs Merkel?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Blaser vs Merkel?

Post by S O K A R » 14 Sep 2022, 8:19 am

In an attempt to downsize my collection & avoid having to deal with licensing/pta's as often as possible I've decided to go the multi-caliber route
Currently tossing up between the blaser r8 ultimate x & the merkel helix speedster
Interested to hear other peoples opinions on them

Blaser is give or take 9-10k I've been told with the merkel coming in at around 6-7k
Able to get a conversion kit to run rimfire with the blaser, can also run 338 lapua mag with it & everything in between, merkel is basically 223 all the way up to 338 win mag
10 round dbm with the blaser where as you can only get a 5 round with the merkel
But not sure all that justifies an extra 3k+

Thoughts?

Cheers
S O K A R
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Re: Blaser vs Merkel?

Post by mchughcb » 14 Sep 2022, 8:28 am

Blaser. Easier access to mounts and accessories. 22 to 458 lot. I don't worry about detachable mag as 4+1 has been fine for me for hunting deer and pigs to competition.

Plenty of second hand R8 way cheaper yjan what are quoting. I've held the helix several times and it's OK but it's not a blaser.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by 9.3x64 » 14 Sep 2022, 8:23 pm

I have 22 Rimfire up to 500 Jeffery with my R8. I have absolutely no regrets. I don’t see a need for a ten shot mag for most hunting situations. The beauty of owning the one gun is you get bloody familiar with it. Same trigger, same decocker/safety, same feel ... Personally I would go the R8 again, but not the Ultimate X. I like the standard professional.
9.3x64
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by 9.3x64 » 14 Sep 2022, 8:25 pm

Another good thing about the Blaser platform is the huge availability of aftermarket parts. Mounts, stocks, you name it.
9.3x64
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by solarpak » 14 Sep 2022, 9:29 pm

Blaser - backed by OSA here in Oz and is the biz

C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by S O K A R » 17 Sep 2022, 9:42 am

Got quoted yesterday 3.5k for an additional barrel, sure that's a mistake right?
3.5k for a barrel is abit rich....
I know the barrels for the merkel are around 2k, but the blaser does look like a better bit of kit
S O K A R
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by mchughcb » 17 Sep 2022, 10:48 am

You can get much cheaper barrels second hand.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles