Henry 308 Lever action

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Henry 308 Lever action

Post by henry67 » 25 Sep 2022, 1:54 pm

Hello fellow countrymen & women
so just want your opinions on the most versatile ammo to use in a Henry 308 lever action long ranger if anyone has experience with this particular rifle i want your opinion
cheap is ok expensive is overated wont be shooting long range 300 max.
Ive run hornandy superformance dont like it jammed in the breach goin in
fiocchi all over the place for me
sellier & bellot most consistent so far but i think that someone knows of a cheaper option that works well in these rifles

thanks in advance for your knowledge and shared info
henry67
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Henry 308 Lever action

Post by N.Field » 27 Sep 2022, 8:14 am

I have no experience with the rifle but here are some review results:

"We used four factory loads for this review. These included Remington Express 150 grain Core-Lokt, Federal/Fusion 150 grain Fusion, Hornady American Whitetail 150 grain Interlock SP and Winchester Supreme 168 grain Ballistic Silvertip.

"Our recorded groups were fired from a covered shooting bench at 100 yards, using a Lead Sled DFT rest. We fired three shot groups for record. Due to time constraints and the warm weather, we were not able to let the barrel cool down between groups, although we did give it a few minutes to at least partially cool between shooters.

"The group size for the groups we fired with all four brands of ammunition averaged 1.56". This is very good accuracy for four loads fired by four different shooters. The most accurate load in this particular rifle turned out to be the Rem. Core-Lokt 150 grain bullet, which achieved a mean average group size of only 1.15".

https://www.chuckhawks.com/henry_long_ranger.html

"The inexpensive and commonly available Federal Premium 168grain SMK cartridge scored an extremely consistent 1″ group after fully 10 five-round groups. It outperformed the hand load I built to replicate it by a tenth of an inch — all done on a filthy dirty bore."
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/gun-r ... 8-rifle-2/
N.Field
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Re: Henry 308 Lever action

Post by bladeracer » 27 Sep 2022, 9:51 am

henry67 wrote:Hello fellow countrymen & women
so just want your opinions on the most versatile ammo to use in a Henry 308 lever action long ranger if anyone has experience with this particular rifle i want your opinion
cheap is ok expensive is overated wont be shooting long range 300 max.
Ive run hornandy superformance dont like it jammed in the breach goin in
fiocchi all over the place for me
sellier & bellot most consistent so far but i think that someone knows of a cheaper option that works well in these rifles

thanks in advance for your knowledge and shared info

For paper and steel or for hunting?

For a cheap general purpose bullet I generally look to the Speer Hotcore's, I know Federal used to load these in some of their 7mm-08 ammo, and Federal is generally at the cheaper end of the ammunition I've looked at in .243 and 7mm-08. Hard to find any .308 under two-bucks a round nowadays though.

Best bet I think would be to load your own ammo and build a load that best suits the rifle.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles