6.5 creedmoor SHB or Varmint weight difference

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

6.5 creedmoor SHB or Varmint weight difference

Post by jpsauer88 » 11 Oct 2022, 5:36 pm

Hello
I currently own a 6.5CM howa varmint 26" in XRS chasis with the 10rnd mdt window mag, 20moa mdt rail and tactical bolt handle.
I bought it a few months ago, took it to the range and it was just too heavy to go walking around with my shoulders in the state their in (hunting rifle).
SO
I put it up for sale and in the meantime I am looking for a 26" hunting rifle (prefer same cal). I found a howa SHB 26" in 6.5 in a hogue stock.

After 2 hours of researching trying to find the weight difference between the two BARRELED ACTIONS or in the same stock (to get a sense of what weight i would be saving) I got nothing.
Howa lists the 6.5 26" varmint in a hogue and the 26" SHB (9.2lb) in a HS precision (8.1lb), but i dont know what the actual difference for the rifle is because i cant find specs of weight for the stocks.
Does anyone have a SHB 26" that they have weighed i would greatly appreciate it i dont wana risk having to go through geting pta etc just to get something a few grams lighter.

I want a 26", i know going shorter will save weight, but i really like long barrels. I have a jaguar 22lr 28.5" and i just like the idea of having a longer barrel.
jpsauer88
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: 6.5 creedmoor SHB or Varmint weight difference

Post by SCJ429 » 11 Oct 2022, 6:11 pm

Try a sling, weight training, chuck the mag and single feed the rounds, try a carbon fibre stock, carbon bolt knob.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by jpsauer88 » 11 Oct 2022, 9:06 pm

But the stock isnt that heavy i think its the barrel, no?
jpsauer88
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 11 Oct 2022, 9:47 pm

Howa do list the weight of their barrelled actions, from memory I think 2400gm, but there would be variations.

My hunting rifles are MDT chassis, and they are are heavy. But hung on a single-point sling they become fairly innocuous as the weight is across both shoulders, and leaves both hands free, and both my shoulders are pretty messed up. I would try it before buying something else at least. I did some walking on the weekend with the 7mm-08 hanging down my front, the .223 in my left hand, and the .204 Bullpup in my right hand - I pretty much felt like I was only carrying the two rifles.

Otherwise, can you buy or borrow a standard M1500 polymer stock to swap onto your rifle for hunting? You won't even have to remount the scope so the swap would be _very_ simple.

jpsauer88 wrote:Hello
I currently own a 6.5CM howa varmint 26" in XRS chasis with the 10rnd mdt window mag, 20moa mdt rail and tactical bolt handle.
I bought it a few months ago, took it to the range and it was just too heavy to go walking around with my shoulders in the state their in (hunting rifle).
SO
I put it up for sale and in the meantime I am looking for a 26" hunting rifle (prefer same cal). I found a howa SHB 26" in 6.5 in a hogue stock.

After 2 hours of researching trying to find the weight difference between the two BARRELED ACTIONS or in the same stock (to get a sense of what weight i would be saving) I got nothing.
Howa lists the 6.5 26" varmint in a hogue and the 26" SHB (9.2lb) in a HS precision (8.1lb), but i dont know what the actual difference for the rifle is because i cant find specs of weight for the stocks.
Does anyone have a SHB 26" that they have weighed i would greatly appreciate it i dont wana risk having to go through geting pta etc just to get something a few grams lighter.

I want a 26", i know going shorter will save weight, but i really like long barrels. I have a jaguar 22lr 28.5" and i just like the idea of having a longer barrel.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by jpsauer88 » 11 Oct 2022, 10:30 pm

Yea i think il do a stock swap. I could t find the barreld action listing in catalogue of 2020, 2018 of 2016.
I never thought of the double shoulder sling. Wha brand is it?
jpsauer88
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 11 Oct 2022, 11:31 pm

jpsauer88 wrote:Yea i think il do a stock swap. I could t find the barreld action listing in catalogue of 2020, 2018 of 2016.
I never thought of the double shoulder sling. Wha brand is it?

Not a double shoulder sling, just a simple military single-point sling, goes around one shoulder and your neck with a QD clip to connect the rifle to it.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/183158456341
The tail remains clipped to the rifle, you just wear the sling all day.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Biscuits » 12 Oct 2022, 2:34 pm

Highland Outdoors distributes Howas in the U.K. and they have a catalog which seems to show the weight of barrelled actions.
http://www.highlandoutdoors.co.uk/howa-catalogue.pdf

I thought the normal logic though was just to buy two guns!
Biscuits
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 12 Oct 2022, 3:16 pm

Biscuits wrote:Highland Outdoors distributes Howas in the U.K. and they have a catalog which seems to show the weight of barrelled actions.
http://www.highlandoutdoors.co.uk/howa-catalogue.pdf

I thought the normal logic though was just to buy two guns!

Down here it would be, in much of Europe it might not be possible to own two, so a replaceable stock/chassis can be an excellent option.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by animalpest » 12 Oct 2022, 9:01 pm

jpsauer88 wrote:Hello
SO

Why on earth do you want a 26" barrel (or longer) on a hunting rifle? I know you like them but they are just not needed in the bush.

Change your "wants" to "needs" and you will be on the right course.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by jpsauer88 » 18 Oct 2022, 9:57 pm

Thanks for the info guys

Yea, my brother always has this argument with me and barrel length. My wife is happy so im not compensating for anything lol
I just like long barrels, but it may be time to move to a 24" :(
jpsauer88
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Faedy » 18 Oct 2022, 10:14 pm

Buy a tikka hunter.
Problem solved
Faedy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 19 Oct 2022, 12:54 am

You should aim for a hunting rifle to be light. No more than 8lb with scope. (3.6kg)
22" barrel is the norm. 26" is nuts.

I have never tried a single point sling so I can't comment.
Try a "safari sling". I like them.
Easy to make or you can buy them.

https://youtu.be/FGwn6Kfno7o
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles