Marlin 336 loading gate spring issues

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Marlin 336 loading gate spring issues

Post by Bushwalker » 16 Nov 2022, 2:46 pm

Hi all,

Long time browser first time poster, finally decided to join after being unable to find the answer to a problem I have with my 336W. I bought it second hand a while back for around $600 (probably a Remlin) with the intention of using it for hunting but until recently I've been flat out with work and life in general, and have only just decided to have a go at hunting fallow deer in the thick stuff. I have come from a background of hunting ducks, quail, rabbits and foxes so generally just using shotguns and rimfires, and I'm pretty new to centrefire rifles in general. Anyway,

The problem
The loading gate spring on the rifle seems to sit skewed upwards towards the muzzle of the rifle with the lower part of the spring slipping over the edge of the gate. It almost looks like the past owner has filed part of the bottom of the spring off, as the top and bottom aren't an even thicknesses. Sometimes this causes issues when loading the tube, as if a round is allowed to slip back it blocks the gate spring from opening again. I have a gut feeling that previously the spring was jamming the carrier when cycling the action as with snap caps there are the odd hang ups. I've tried loosening and tightening the gate spring a few times and holding the spring at different angles but it reverts back to the same upwards tilt. I have also resolved not to use snap caps after they shaved bits of red paint into the chamber and through the action.

Some pictures should be attached below if I did this right,

Should I just bite the bullet and try ordering one of the ranger point precision gates from the USA?

Thanks for your help, and for all the awesome info on this forum. I look forward to contributing in future.
Attachments
Marlin 336 chamber.jpg
Marlin 336 chamber.jpg (426.83 KiB) Viewed 386 times
Marlin 336 loading gate side on.jpg
Marlin 336 loading gate side on.jpg (466.01 KiB) Viewed 386 times
Marlin 336 loading gate rear.jpg
Marlin 336 loading gate rear.jpg (170.44 KiB) Viewed 386 times
Marlin 336 loading gate bottom.jpg
Marlin 336 loading gate bottom.jpg (183.65 KiB) Viewed 386 times
Bushwalker
Recruit
Recruit