Best .223 for a first owner

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Best .223 for a first owner

Post by JohnV » 14 Dec 2022, 6:49 pm

CZ 457 American , it's not ugly like a Lithgow is .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Peter988 » 16 Dec 2022, 7:06 am

Nobody has mentioned Sauer as a first time 223. Very happy with mine.
Peter988
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Lazarus » 16 Dec 2022, 9:37 am

JohnV wrote:CZ 457 American , it's not ugly like a Lithgow is .

???
Last edited by Lazarus on 16 Dec 2022, 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 16 Dec 2022, 9:48 am

JohnV wrote:CZ 457 American , it's not ugly like a Lithgow is .

I think you might mean a CZ-527 since the 457 is a .22LR Calibre.

I have a CZ-527 Laminate Varmint 1:9 Twist and it shoots light out. Not as heavier barrel as other Varmint Barrels. Very easy to do better than 1/2 MOA with anything I have reloaded and developed from 35gr to 60gr.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 16 Dec 2022, 7:21 pm

Yes but like all MAUSER type claw extractor actions clunky rough nothing smooth about Em I used to have one only thing I really like about it was the accuracy and the ability to have 4 magazines on the dashboard when culling Roos.
Also had a 1967 manufacturer ZKK601 243 it had a beautiful set trigger beautiful timber but I'm just not a fan of mauser type actions
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by jwai86 » 16 Dec 2022, 8:08 pm

I've read mostly good things about the CZ 527, but putting aside that they were always more expensive than a Howa, were they much chop?
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Dec 2022, 9:54 pm

The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Apollo » 16 Dec 2022, 10:00 pm

jwai86 wrote:I've read mostly good things about the CZ 527, but putting aside that they were always more expensive than a Howa, were they much chop?

Is that a Lamb Chop or a Pork Chop.... :sarcasm:

Would you expect a better quality Rifle to be cheaper than a lower quality / accurate one.

I have never owned or will I own a Howa, they need a few mods to get them to shoot properly in my view. I have however had use of a few to workup loads for but they had already had a lot of work done on them like change / modified trigger, stock change and bedding. Then they shot but not any better than my CZ in the same calibre. Howa is cheap and good value for what you get.

BTW from above ... I also owned a Brno ZKK 601 243W back in the early 70's. Very nice rifle.

Mauser actions are clunky / rough to use if you don't know how. Also you might find it hard to get a new CZ 527 since they went out of production and Brno / CZ are the same company, just a change of location and name... The history is on Wiki.

If you want a beautifully accurate, well finished rifle then look at something like a Sako. Chalk n Cheese.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 16 Dec 2022, 10:25 pm

Apollo wrote:
jwai86 wrote:I've read mostly good things about the CZ 527, but putting aside that they were always more expensive than a Howa, were they much chop?

Is that a Lamb Chop or a Pork Chop.... :sarcasm:

Would you expect a better quality Rifle to be cheaper than a lower quality / accurate one.

I have never owned or will I own a Howa, they need a few mods to get them to shoot properly in my view. I have however had use of a few to workup loads for but they had already had a lot of work done on them like change / modified trigger, stock change and bedding. Then they shot but not any better than my CZ in the same calibre. Howa is cheap and good value for what you get.

BTW from above ... I also owned a Brno ZKK 601 243W back in the early 70's. Very nice rifle.

Mauser actions are clunky / rough to use if you don't know how. Also you might find it hard to get a new CZ 527 since they went out of production and Brno / CZ are the same company, just a change of location and name... The history is on Wiki.

If you want a beautifully accurate, well finished rifle then look at something like a Sako. Chalk n Cheese.

Yes provided that sako is not an 85 model absolute rubbish even compared to a Tikka yet twice the price best thing about howa is you can just walk in and buy a barrel action should be able to do this with all rifles which is what I did $0.50 later with two Springs I had this . At 502 yards ...... I now only own one howa that will soon change I have a mixture of Tikka Remington Ruger by far the best value for money vs accuracy howa wins hands down I've had four plus of them over the years 2x223 1 243 1 7mm remmag never had one was a lemon yet
https://youtu.be/ke1l-z2O0SU
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Apollo » 16 Dec 2022, 11:12 pm

Nice shooting..

Funny enough, two of my Sako's are 85's sold another one that was a .223W since my CZ was more accurate but in fairness that Sako was a 12 twist and the CZ 9 twist.

The Sako 85 .243W I have won a few 300m competitions with and it's a delight to shoot but funny even more to add weight I took off the fluted Sako Barrel and put on a Tikka Barrel to save me some recoil pain.

The other Sako I still have is a not very original Sako S491 which has 22BR and 6BR Switch Barrels.

None are as nice as my custom Stolle Rifles.....
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 19 Dec 2022, 6:28 pm

Stolle!!! You should have gone BAT Machine............
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 19 Dec 2022, 7:34 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Stolle!!! You should have gone BAT Machine............

I've been to Canberra to do a "300m Bat Shoot" and the Stolle Grizzly did very well, killed a few bats.

Much prefer the 500m Fly Shoot, easier to kill flies in daylight..... :thumbsup: :drinks: :thumbsup:
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by jwai86 » 19 Dec 2022, 7:56 pm

Apollo wrote:Is that a Lamb Chop or a Pork Chop.... :sarcasm:

Of course not, but I made the comparison because when it comes to buying something that's 'good enough', the cheaper Howa often won out over the CZ 527 despite the latter being higher quality.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles