Savage MK2 FVSR

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Savage MK2 FVSR

Post by Goshawk » 08 May 2014, 7:57 am

Hi all,

Has anyone got any experience with a savage mk2 FVSR?

Is the 16.5 inch barrel long enough? Is it louder than a 21" barrel?

Also, does anyone know why boyds won't send their tacticool stock for these overseas?

Cheers
Goshawk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Re: Savage MK2 FVSR

Post by Travis hutch » 09 May 2014, 11:07 am

In my opinion for a first rifle you can't beat a SAVAGE MK2 FV.

It's fully free floated, comes with the accu trigger, heavy barrel, comes with dove tails for sights/scopes, the bolt is nice and crisp, very very accurate, and parts are very common and easy to find and mags are fairly cheap.
Travis hutch
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by pajamatime » 09 May 2014, 11:53 am

Im getting myself one of those savage mk2 xp F's
The Prudent see the evil and hide but the Naive keep going and are punished for it
pajamatime
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Warrigul » 09 May 2014, 6:40 pm

I like the savages, I have yet to see one that doesn't shoot, you get used to the accutrigger.

I routinely trim my hunting .22's to 16 or 17" and they retain accuracy.

Optimum length for a .22LR is 16" any longer and they just slow the pill down for no effect. Long barrels are only good for sight radius when using iron sights.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by zook60 » 10 May 2014, 1:06 pm

Warrigul wrote:I like the savages, I have yet to see one that doesn't shoot, you get used to the accutrigger.

I routinely trim my hunting .22's to 16 or 17" and they retain accuracy.

Optimum length for a .22LR is 16" any longer and they just slow the pill down for no effect. Long barrels are only good for sight radius when using iron sights.

What he said.
I have the exact model you are referring to and it is by far my fav gun. Being that short and handy it is never left in the safe when going on a trip away.
zook60
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 23 May 2014, 3:35 pm

I bought the Daughter a Mk2 HB for her first rifle - nice little shooter, I put a Boyds Thumbhole Stock on it and a spare Tasco I had laying around, it certainly shoots straight and has been very successful on the bunnies so far. I reckon the shorter barreled version would be a rippa too.

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by portph » 25 May 2014, 7:47 pm

Did she clean up all those rabbits?

Looks like a natural :D
Tikka T3 Lite in 300 Win Mag
Tikka T3 Hunter in 243 Winchester
portph
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by heeple » 25 May 2014, 7:47 pm

5 shots in 5 cents.

Has a nice ring to it.
Remingtion 700 XCR in 7mm-08
Winchester 94 in 30-30
Ruger 77/22 in 22LR
heeple
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by redrum » 25 May 2014, 7:49 pm

Warrigul wrote:I like the savages, I have yet to see one that doesn't shoot, you get used to the accutrigger.

For curiosity though even when you're used to it would you still prefer a normal one?

Only played with one a few times but doesn't strike me as the kind of thing I'll grow to like TBH.
Good news, everyone!
- Hubert J. Farnsworth
redrum
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 26 May 2014, 9:34 pm

redrum wrote:For curiosity though even when you're used to it would you still prefer a normal one?

Only played with one a few times but doesn't strike me as the kind of thing I'll grow to like TBH.

Nope, it doesn't worry me at all. Did to start with.

Mind you I have an assortment of two stage target, military and various single stage target and hunting rifles so I am used to swapping.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by redrum » 27 May 2014, 2:03 pm

Fair enough.

I only use single stage stuff so it's still pretty foreign to me.
Good news, everyone!
- Hubert J. Farnsworth
redrum
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 27 May 2014, 2:09 pm

Gotta say I've always preferred a light, crisp, single stage to a two stage.

I wouldn't change a thing for my Anschütz trigger.

Only personal preference though I guess.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by zook60 » 27 May 2014, 3:18 pm

I took the FVSR out today again with federal bulk ammo. 6 shout group just under an inch @100m on a very windy day.
I let rip around 40-50 rounds in 5 minutes they are just too much fun, I was even hitting used shotgun shells repeatedly.
zook60
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 28 May 2014, 3:03 pm

portph wrote:Did she clean up all those rabbits?

Looks like a natural :D

Nah I shot those particular bunnies (well I had to make sure it shot straight hey)! :lol: but she went out on her first bunny hunt where she was the shooter and we only saw the 1 bunny and she nailed it in the head at around 50m or so, which surprised me and her somewhat too. I thought the nerves might have gotten to her being the first time shooting a live target but she just crept in nice and low and crawled the last part of the stalk, set the bipod up and chambered a round, checked the backdrop to make sure everything was safe there, took aim and sent one on its way, next thing I heard was WOOMP!

Bunny down! It did a flip or 2 and lights out! :D shot placement could have been an 1" higher but for her first time shooting a live target not a bad effort, she hasn't shot a hell of a lot before that to be honest (a few targets and some of those spinner target things and that's pretty much it really), so she's coming along nicely.

Best part was the bunny tasted beautiful, lovely and tender.

Last edited by bigfellascott on 28 May 2014, 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 28 May 2014, 3:12 pm

redrum wrote:

For curiosity though even when you're used to it would you still prefer a normal one?

I've never found it an issue to use, honestly all that blade is is a safety feature, its still a single stage trigger, just that it can't be fired at all unless that blade is fully depressed, I've tried to get it to fire without depressing that blade and it just won't happen, that's the whole idea of them.

I actually find that if you don't get your finger on the trigger correctly (ie touch the blade first type thing) that the trigger will lock and can't be fired until you open and close the bolt again, can be annoying at times but most of the time I don't have an issue with it - this trigger has been worked at some stage (according to previous owner) whether that has something to do with that particular issue I can't say but most of the time its not an issue at all.

Cheers
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by zook60 » 28 May 2014, 3:28 pm

Scott thats a standard accutrigger feature if the trigger gets any type of sideways pressure on the blade then it locks out.
zook60
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by MeccaOz » 28 May 2014, 3:34 pm

Goshawk ... Now you have me looking at one of these .... My other half hit the roof, but thanks I placed the blame squarely on you ol mate :D
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 28 May 2014, 4:45 pm

zook60 wrote:Scott thats a standard accutrigger feature if the trigger gets any type of sideways pressure on the blade then it locks out.

Yeah I figured as much mate, all part of the safety side of things and accidental discharges etc, you just have to be mindful of it and I guess in a way it makes you position your finger on the trigger correctly and with consistency type thing, can't be a bad thing can it. :D

I really like the little Savage, If I ever buy another 22 I reckon the FVSR would definitely be in the running but I would love a Cooper if I had the money, they really are beautiful rifles.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by zook60 » 28 May 2014, 5:13 pm

I nearly got more attention at the range on tuesday with the savage over the Sako. Even the old blokes love it.
Savage are also releasing a 22mag and 17hmr in the FVSR.
zook60
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 28 May 2014, 7:09 pm

zook60 wrote:I nearly got more attention at the range on tuesday with the savage over the Sako. Even the old blokes love it.
Savage are also releasing a 22mag and 17hmr in the FVSR.

Yeah everyone seems to like the little Savage of the Daughters too, they really are a great little rifle for the $$$ I'd definitely buy another one without hesitation, might buy one for the youngest Daughter as she's been eyeing off my Brno Mod 2! :lol:

Hows that new Sako 204 going? haven't seen any posts about it so far (may have missed them)?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 28 May 2014, 7:20 pm

Zook I take it your Savage likes the CCI Standards like all Savages?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by zook60 » 29 May 2014, 9:44 am

bigfellascott wrote:Zook I take it your Savage likes the CCI Standards like all Savages?

I have been feeding it federal bulk pack 525 rounds for $30-40. Never tried anything else.
zook60
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 29 May 2014, 9:54 am

Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by zook60 » 29 May 2014, 11:42 am

Chronos wrote:http://m.usedguns.com.au/Product_Desc.aspx?Pid=36603

FYI

Chronos

Thats a good price, those TAC stocks are worth a pretty penny due to not being able to import them.
zook60
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by MeccaOz » 29 May 2014, 12:04 pm

Anyone know why you cant import those stocks ? They seem pretty benign to me .... No adjustable stock or anything ... Not my cup of tea but if people want them, hey why not ??
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Chronos » 29 May 2014, 12:26 pm

MeccaOz wrote:Anyone know why you cant import those stocks ? They seem pretty benign to me .... No adjustable stock or anything ... Not my cup of tea but if people want them, hey why not ??

Because they are black and therefor evil!

No idea mate, they look ok and do the job on a prone rifle shooting off a bipod.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by zook60 » 29 May 2014, 1:10 pm

The critical side of me thinks that savage has done a deal with bodys.

Otherwise everyone would just buy the FV then import a boyds stock instead of paying big bucks for the TR model
zook60
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 29 May 2014, 1:15 pm

Yep that's about it in a nutshell, as soon as they see the word Tactical they s**t themselves for some stupid reason. :roll:

Those stocks from Boyds are just Laminate with a black coating on them.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Goshawk » 28 Dec 2014, 7:45 pm

Hi all,

I ended up getting the rifle. It's been a great little toy, taken a heap of rabbits, a couple of hares and a fox so far.

It's uber accurate and lite. It doesn't seem to like ejecting winchester rounds though, never any issues with any other rounds.

Still think getting a different stock though.

DSC_0272.JPG
Head shot hare at 40m, last time it eats the wife's vege patch!
DSC_0272.JPG (320.34 KiB) Viewed 8784 times
Goshawk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by vonfram88 » 28 Dec 2014, 10:30 pm

Well I love my FVSS in 22mag. Great trigger.
He that hath no sword; let him sell his garment and buy one.
vonfram88
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles