310 Cadet with Bertram cases

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

310 Cadet with Bertram cases

Post by dnedative » 20 Dec 2022, 6:19 pm

Quick one; What bullet heel size suits bertram 310 cadet brass?
From memory the HRC/Black Widow bullets are no good, designed for thinner Super brass so even if you flare and press them into Bertram cases they typically wont chamber easily. Boyne cast and sell bullets I think are on the money, they have a .308 heel size.

Just want to know what fits Bertram cases;
Rifle is a BSA if that matters.
dnedative
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: 310 Cadet with Bertram cases

Post by JimTom » 20 Dec 2022, 7:53 pm

Mate I cast my own however they are a 125gn bullet that is .307 at the heel which works well with the Bertram brass.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by No1Mk3 » 20 Dec 2022, 8:16 pm

I use HRBC 128g .323" projectiles with a .314 heel which I load in all cases and they chamber in all my Cadets, but don't shoot well in 3 of them in which I load HRBC 122g .317" non-heeled projectiles in all cases which also chamber in all 7 Cadets but only shoot well in 4. The Westley Richards Cadet shoots anything, even 32-20 with only a few split cases.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by dnedative » 20 Dec 2022, 8:22 pm

Thanks, they are fiddly things to get working well.
I know the greener and westerly richards versions are a bit more varied.

I'll order a box of .310 Boyne bullets and see how they go
dnedative
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 22 Dec 2022, 7:07 am

dnedative wrote:Quick one; What bullet heel size suits bertram 310 cadet brass?
From memory the HRC/Black Widow bullets are no good, designed for thinner Super brass so even if you flare and press them into Bertram cases they typically wont chamber easily. Boyne cast and sell bullets I think are on the money, they have a .308 heel size.

Just want to know what fits Bertram cases;
Rifle is a BSA if that matters.

I was originally loading bullets with a .314 heel but found I had to run them back though the sizing die (removing the recapping pin obviously) after loading to get them to chamber properly. It worked and they chambered fine however the .307 heel alleviates the need for this process mate.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by dnedative » 30 Dec 2022, 8:05 pm

The Boyne bullets look pretty good, flare the case a touch and they seat nicely with the Lee dies.
They are a touch tight to chamber, could get one to chamber if I wanted to but the slightest kiss with the sizing die does the trick so they drop in and it effectively crimps them in the case nicely.

After firing the case will blow out a bit and after sizing and cleaning they will probably be good to go.

Powder choices are kinda limited to what I have - Winchester 231, ADI APS350 and Alliant 2400. I'll probably use the 231; Start at 3gr and probably go to 4.5gr.
dnedative
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by dnedative » 05 Jan 2023, 4:53 pm

They shoot really well, sights were an issue at the indoor range because of poor lighting but 3.7gr of Winchester 231 looks pretty good. Light loads as expected, shooting point of aim nicely. Zero leading whatsoever.

I'll probably order another 750 bullets and call it sorted for life.
dnedative
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 05 Jan 2023, 6:18 pm

dnedative wrote:The Boyne bullets look pretty good, flare the case a touch and they seat nicely with the Lee dies.
They are a touch tight to chamber, could get one to chamber if I wanted to but the slightest kiss with the sizing die does the trick so they drop in and it effectively crimps them in the case nicely.

After firing the case will blow out a bit and after sizing and cleaning they will probably be good to go.

Powder choices are kinda limited to what I have - Winchester 231, ADI APS350 and Alliant 2400. I'll probably use the 231; Start at 3gr and probably go to 4.5gr.

They still look like they’d be tight mate.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by dnedative » 05 Jan 2023, 6:26 pm

JimTom wrote:They still look like they’d be tight mate.

Fired 50 today, all dropped into the chamber fine.
Fired cases have expanded as expected so wont need to do anything once the bullet has been seated.
dnedative
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 05 Jan 2023, 7:24 pm

dnedative wrote:
JimTom wrote:They still look like they’d be tight mate.

Fired 50 today, all dropped into the chamber fine.
Fired cases have expanded as expected so wont need to do anything once the bullet has been seated.

Mate great result. Glad to hear it worked out for you. :drinks:
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by dnedative » 06 Jan 2023, 9:11 pm

Loaded the brass again, no need to touch them with the sizing die once seated.
If your shooting a 310 they are bang on the money size wise, imagine they will shoot well in anything given they are .320 and have the reduced heel.
dnedative
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles