howa 308/30-06 opinions

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: howa 308/30-06 opinions

Post by bigrich » 15 Jan 2023, 8:01 pm

:D barrel cleaning is a can of worms topic ........ :D
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 15 Jan 2023, 8:33 pm

Yep you got that right ask 100 people you'll get 100 opinions I let my barrel do the talking soon as it stops grouping gets a good clean and as for not cleaning guns my son's howas stainless and chrome moly rifles were in storage for 2 years and no they were not cleaned but it was the old recipe ADI powder and over the years I've learnt corrosion was not a problem with that powder for some reason but since they've changed the recipe if my rifle is it going to sit for more than 2 weeks they get a couple of patches and some hobbies 9 just to let sit in the barrel until I'm ready to patch out and go again
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 15 Jan 2023, 8:44 pm

“Let the barrel do the talking” is the best advice I ever received. Pay attention. Gently does it. Don’t overdo it. Get to know the subtleties of each individual.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Jan 2023, 11:40 pm

in2anity wrote:“Let the barrel do the talking” is the best advice I ever received. Pay attention. Gently does it. Don’t overdo it. Get to know the subtleties of each individual.

Sounds like married life. :lol:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 16 Jan 2023, 7:16 am

Oldbloke wrote:Sounds like married life. :lol:

OB can confirm; cleaning a barrel is far more therapeutic.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Jan 2023, 10:20 am

in2anity wrote:

Ya gotta laugh.

If its unlikely I will use a rifle for some time it at least gets some carbon remover.

If its only had a few and intend to use in the next few weeks I don't bother.

Every 30 or 40 shots gets a good clean.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 16 Jan 2023, 4:41 pm

in2anity wrote:

you can clean my "copper mine" 30-06 barrel for me . you'll get a lot of therapeutic from that :lol:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 16 Jan 2023, 6:43 pm

bladeracer wrote:
SCJ429 wrote:
Soopyyy wrote:I think I've cleaned my Tikka three times in 200 rounds. It's never seemed to make any difference.

Clean your rifle you dirty little boy...and change the oil in your car while you are at it.

Why would you not clean the carbon out of it each time you shoot it. Only takes a little bit of your time.

Do you change your engine oil after every drive?

For the race car, yes, every time it has been on the track. Never seen a motor that was suffering from having the oil changed regularly but have seen heaps of motors that are U/S from lack of oil changes.

Was just joking in any case, I could care less how often guys clean their barrels.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 16 Jan 2023, 7:05 pm

SCJ429 wrote:For the race car, yes, every time it has been on the track. Never seen a motor that was suffering from having the oil changed regularly but have seen heaps of motors that are U/S from lack of oil changes.

Was just joking in any case, I could care less how often guys clean their barrels.

When I started racing I was changing my oil every month, but I was putting the used bike oil into my cars so it meant all my vehicles had really clean oil changed very regularly. I still have a VS Commodore engine here in bits. My stepdaughter never ever changed the oil, just kept topping it up until eventually the entire engine was packed solid with grease and simply couldn't cope any more.

Same, people should do what they want - their rifle, their money, their time so it's their choice.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles