mossberg mvp 223

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

mossberg mvp 223

Post by northdude » 28 Dec 2022, 11:23 am

Do you guys have these over there.? Any good? theres a s/h one in lgs and since I cant find 222 wondering about this
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
 
Posts: 834
New Zealand

Re: mossberg mvp 223

Post by Gun-nut » 29 Dec 2022, 12:05 am

I handled one years ago at my lgs and wasn't too particularly impressed. Haven't shot one though so can't really comment on it's functionality but I've heard they're quite hit and miss with regards to quality. I'd look at the ruger american series in .223 if after an affordable bolt action that takes AR magazines.
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 428
Victoria

Re: mossberg mvp 223

Post by northdude » 29 Dec 2022, 5:45 am

Ok. Id probably go howa. The ar mag thing doesnt bother me
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
 
Posts: 834
New Zealand

Re: mossberg mvp 223

Post by northdude » 29 Dec 2022, 12:07 pm

I ended up getting it. Seems pretty good to me stock and metalwork is a nice fit fully floating fluted heavy barrel. Action looks similar to a howa mini with a fluted bolt. Test it on sat and see how she shoots
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
 
Posts: 834
New Zealand

Re: mossberg mvp 223

Post by Oldbloke » 29 Dec 2022, 5:14 pm

GMF. The howa mini seems to be a beautiful thing. Except that monster magazine.

IMO they need to either give an option for a floor plate or 5 round magazine.

Some love the mag, some hate it. Horses for courses I guess.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
User avatar
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
 
Posts: 11068
Victoria

Re: mossberg mvp 223

Post by bigpete » 29 Dec 2022, 5:36 pm

Oldbloke wrote:GMF. The howa mini seems to be a beautiful thing. Except that monster magazine.

IMO they need to either give an option for a floor plate or 5 round magazine.

Some love the mag, some hate it. Horses for courses I guess.


I hate it. No surprises there. I hate any magazine that protrudes from the stock much,as in most cases thats the balance point and right where I want to carry the rifle when hunting. Really is a pity they don't do a floor plate magazine
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel
 
Posts: 3519
South Australia

Re: mossberg mvp 223

Post by northdude » 30 Dec 2022, 8:13 am

they are budget rifle so cant complain to much. there is a mod for the howa mag and you might be able to do the mossturd one if your allowed to do that over there. we are allowed to mod our own firearms over here no permits or anything required...
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
 
Posts: 834
New Zealand

Re: mossberg mvp 223

Post by northdude » 01 Jan 2023, 2:24 pm

This actually surprised me after reading the reviews reguarding poor accuracy. This thing did consistant 3 shot 1" or under groups at 100m with factory s&b ammo. Thats perfectly fine for me out of a low end budget rifle. Trigger is a little bit gritty but shouldnt be to hard to sort out. Feeding is crap due to the wobbly mag but thats an easy fix as well.
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
 
Posts: 834
New Zealand

Re: mossberg mvp 223

Post by northdude » 10 Apr 2023, 7:46 am

Tried some 62gn handloads in it yesterday with varget. 62 grainers were some kind of russian projectile soft poind with a concave base. Was shooting consistant 1/2" or a knats arse over groups at 100m with it off a bipod and rear bag
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
 
Posts: 834
New Zealand

Re: mossberg mvp 223

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Apr 2023, 1:54 pm

northdude wrote:Tried some 62gn handloads in it yesterday with varget. 62 grainers were some kind of russian projectile soft poind with a concave base. Was shooting consistant 1/2" or a knats arse over groups at 100m with it off a bipod and rear bag


You would be happy with that.

Was it expensive? If I recall they are a budget rifle.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
User avatar
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
 
Posts: 11068
Victoria

Re: mossberg mvp 223

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Apr 2023, 2:01 pm

bigpete wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:GMF. The howa mini seems to be a beautiful thing. Except that monster magazine.

IMO they need to either give an option for a floor plate or 5 round magazine.

Some love the mag, some hate it. Horses for courses I guess.


I hate it. No surprises there. I hate any magazine that protrudes from the stock much,as in most cases thats the balance point and right where I want to carry the rifle when hunting. Really is a pity they don't do a floor plate magazine


Its easy to shorten the magazine to 5 rounds.

https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/a-h ... ss.106742/

howa mini 5 round magazine.jpg
howa mini 5 round magazine.jpg (31.22 KiB) Viewed 1024 times
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
User avatar
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
 
Posts: 11068
Victoria

Re: mossberg mvp 223

Post by northdude » 10 Apr 2023, 2:33 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
northdude wrote:Tried some 62gn handloads in it yesterday with varget. 62 grainers were some kind of russian projectile soft poind with a concave base. Was shooting consistant 1/2" or a knats arse over groups at 100m with it off a bipod and rear bag


You would be happy with that.

Was it expensive? If I recall they are a budget rifle.

I got it second hand but basically new. $500.00. I suspect it had a feeding issue and was sold. The mag was wobbly as s**t in it and would tilt forward and make the round nose dive into the feed ramp and jam up. Bit of epoxy cured that and it runs fine. Just got it back from gunsmith a couple of days prior as had it threadded for a suppressor
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
 
Posts: 834
New Zealand

Re: mossberg mvp 223

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Apr 2023, 2:57 pm

$500 Nz sounds very cheap to me. Sounds like you got a bargain
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
User avatar
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
 
Posts: 11068
Victoria

Re: mossberg mvp 223

Post by northdude » 10 Apr 2023, 4:17 pm

I was in the right place at the right time for a change. was actually looking for a 222 but few and far between these days. And now a zastava 222 has just come up on trade me
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
 
Posts: 834
New Zealand


Back to top
 
Return to Centerfire rifles