Merkel RX Helix

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Merkel RX Helix

Post by ToyotaBoy » 30 Dec 2022, 7:08 pm

Heya guys & gal's
I was surfing for a second hand gun the other day, looking for nothing in particular and i came across the "Merkel Helix RX" in 308cal. Yeah i know lm a bit late to this rifle, apparently it's been around for a few years now. I'm not a fan of the straight pull system but I quite like how the helix works. But before I go and throw down my hard earned $$ I'm hoping there are some people here that have some experience with this rifle.
Main issue I have is will the over sized bolt knob be in my sight picture when I throw the rifle up similar to the browning T-bolt?
Cheers & keep shooting straight
Attachments
images.jpeg
images.jpeg (9 KiB) Viewed 678 times
Last edited by ToyotaBoy on 30 Dec 2022, 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ToyotaBoy
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Merkel RX Helix

Post by ThatNewGuy » 30 Dec 2022, 7:55 pm

ToyotaBoy wrote:Heya guys & gal's
I was surfing for a second hand gun the other day, looking for nothing in particular and i came across the "Merkel Helix RX" in 308cal. Yeah i know lm a bit late to this rifle, apparently it's been around for a few years now. I'm not a fan of the straight pull system but I quite like how the helix works. But before I go and throw down my hard earned $$ I'm hoping there are some people here that have some experience with this rifle.
Cheers & keep shooting straight

I recently got one of these rifles they are quite nice and the straight pull is slick and it can, in theory, become a one-and-done gun but where is the fun in that :D.

Pros:
-Easy to take down
-The irons are nice and bright
-they are fairly light so good for carrying in a field
-fast follow-up shots
-multi calibre with less than a minute to change from varying calibres

Cons:
-Parts are expensive and can be difficult to come by, though parts can be ordered if you want to wait a while
-if you want to make full use of the extremely nice case you need a QD scope mount setup
-potentially too light for some so a muzzle break might be needed

In a nutshell: they are good rifles, a bit on the pricey side however they are compact and the caliber change system is easy to use.
I just wanted something here...

-New Guy
ThatNewGuy
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: Merkel RX Helix

Post by mchughcb » 30 Dec 2022, 10:12 pm

Ask yourself why you want it. Take down or straight pull. I don't mind the helix the stroke is shorter than a blaser but it felt much lighter and a bit flimsier. Spare barrels might be an issue.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles