Sauer or Bergara…

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Sauer or Bergara…

Post by Achilles_13 » 17 Jan 2023, 7:08 pm

Hi all,

As many, I’m looking at my first hunting rifle in .308 and am in doubt between the sauer 100 wood stock or the bergara wilderness ridge.

I read just about all there is to read about both bit am still looking for some confirmation on some things… as the sauer is almost 500 more in the shops, does anyone have any experience with the wood stock? Hunting is done in the cold, rainy seasons here and I am worried that the beech stock might not hold up against the elements… any experience ?

And does it pay dividends to go for looks and reputation ( sauer 100) or just go for practicality and future proof (bergara with the cerakote, 1:10 twist for mono bullets)

Kind regards

A.
Achilles_13
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Re: Sauer or Bergara…

Post by JohnV » 10 Mar 2023, 7:18 am

I would not buy either . Buy a Sako 85 Hunter Stainless . And seal inside the stock with marine grade lacquer.
In cold conditions synthetic stocks can get cold on your hands but wood is much nicer to hold without gloves .
I have hunted in winter many times with wood stocks and had no real issues . I think you can also get wood look synthetic stocks on Sako 85 but not sure . Their information about stocks is terrible . I don't like the 1 in 11 rifling twist rate it should be 1 in 10 for 308W. but it will get the job done with most hunting bullets .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Blr243 » 10 Mar 2023, 5:52 pm

Im a fan of the sauer Sub moa guarantee my 243 is blued. My 270 is ceracote I really like the safety its very definite and eassily operated in tje dark. Very nice adjustable trigger. No exp with their wood stocks
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by JohnV » 12 Mar 2023, 5:46 am

The Sauer would be the more precise made gun . A Bergara is basically a Rem 700 knock off made in Spain could be quite a good gun but cheaper production .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by SCJ429 » 12 Mar 2023, 8:29 am

First hunting rifle? Why not a 223 or a 6mm.
Shoot in cold wet conditions, get a plastic stock.
The Scandinavian rifles would be my pick.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles