243 budget ammo?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

243 budget ammo?

Post by S O K A R » 29 Jan 2023, 10:46 am

Is there any budget spec ammo anyone would suggest for punching paper?
Have been using Winchester deer season (95g) to date.
S O K A R
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Re: 243 budget ammo?

Post by bladeracer » 29 Jan 2023, 12:20 pm

S O K A R wrote:Is there any budget spec ammo anyone would suggest for punching paper?
Have been using Winchester deer season (95g) to date.

My brother was using Federal as it seemed to be the cheapest and it was certainly accurate. Still at least $2 a round though, expensive for putting holes in paper. As long as you have primers I would load your own.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 29 Jan 2023, 5:12 pm

Ppu shoots 1/2 moa in my stainless v b howa
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 30 Jan 2023, 8:43 pm

I can load match grade ammo for less than $1, shoots under 0.3 of an inch at 100. Are you able to load your own?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 30 Jan 2023, 8:51 pm

If you aren't set up to reload and don't want to spend a small fortune doing so, you can buy a .243 Lee Loader for around $70, It'll pay for itself pretty dam quick and give you better than factory ammo :thumbsup:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Jan 2023, 9:32 pm

https://youtu.be/UeEl9wZyabc

Resized_Screenshot_20230130-222642_Samsung_Internet.jpeg
Resized_Screenshot_20230130-222642_Samsung_Internet.jpeg (136.34 KiB) Viewed 1511 times

Dippers/scoops
https://youtu.be/XHfWhqI5FC8
Last edited by Oldbloke on 30 Jan 2023, 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by S O K A R » 30 Jan 2023, 10:14 pm

Hadn't looked into/started down the reloading road as of yet, but seems its really the only sensible option at this point.
Price of factory ammo is ridiculous, thanks for the replies.
Will look into some of that ppu ammo, dirt cheap on the barn.
Hopefully someone in tas stocks it.
S O K A R
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Jan 2023, 10:45 pm

S O K A R wrote:Hadn't looked into/started down the reloading road as of yet, but seems its really the only sensible option at this point.

Hope your keeping your cases.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 30 Jan 2023, 11:44 pm

Hope you don't expect to do too much paper punching with a 243 its not my choice for that endeavour be lucky if you get 1200 accurate rounds out of it Sub 1moa.
223 308 even 3006 has better barrel life .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 31 Jan 2023, 12:15 am

S O K A R wrote:Hadn't looked into/started down the reloading road as of yet, but seems its really the only sensible option at this point.

Make sure you can get primers before you buy all the gear.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 31 Jan 2023, 11:35 am

bladeracer wrote:

Make sure you can get primers before you buy all the gear.

Understand where your coming from.

But he should still keep one eye open for bargains. The primers will turn up along with everything else he needs. He needs to decide, do I go down the super simple Classic Lee road of buy better gear?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 31 Jan 2023, 2:25 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Understand where your coming from.

But he should still keep one eye open for bargains. The primers will turn up along with everything else he needs. He needs to decide, do I go down the super simple Classic Lee road of buy better gear?

Up here if I can't find primers locally I can take a day and drive to Sydney to get them. If he can't find primers in Tassie I'm not sure it's viable to travel to the mainland to get some, perhaps it is. Supply around me seems to be good just now, at least for large rifle.

I would be confirming that I can get primers, but reloading gear is always good to have.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 31 Jan 2023, 4:59 pm

Yeh, Tassie could make it harder.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 31 Jan 2023, 5:59 pm

Good point from Blade re component availability, definitely worth sussing that out.

If it's any help, I started out with the lee loader and slowly added a few bits like a beam scale and tools to prep brass. The budget kit enabled me to develop sub .5 moa rounds for both the .243 and the .223

Thousand's of loads later and im still using those little lee loaders to this day, I just haven't found the need to upgrade to a press.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by S O K A R » 31 Jan 2023, 7:05 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Hope your keeping your cases.

Have about 500 saved up at the moment, not a huge amount but its a starting point

deye243 wrote:Hope you don't expect to do too much paper punching with a 243 its not my choice for that endeavour be lucky if you get 1200 accurate rounds out of it Sub 1moa.

Yeah right, that's interesting
I always assumed they had better barrel life then that, given its a ruger american its probably a throw away when the barrel is done
Thanks for the heads up

Oldbloke wrote:

I'll most likely just keep using factory ammo for the time being and slowly acquire all the reloading gear I need, I'll most likely end up with all the bells & whistles
Blame it on ocd :lol:
But gives me abit of time to find the supplies I need

bladeracer wrote:
Up here if I can't find primers locally I can take a day and drive to Sydney to get them. If he can't find primers in Tassie I'm not sure it's viable to travel to the mainland to get some, perhaps it is. Supply around me seems to be good just now, at least for large rifle.

I would be confirming that I can get primers, but reloading gear is always good to have.

Can get supplies freighted down worst case, its just a huge pain in the ass and costly so kind of defeats the purpose of cost cutting in the first place
But in saying that I'm in melb on a regular basis so could just bring the car and bring them back with me on the boat as opposed to flying
Thanks for the heads up, few things to consider none the less
S O K A R
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 31 Jan 2023, 7:47 pm

If you load your own there's no requirement to run the rifle at factory pressure levels, reducing the pressures extends barrel life. Does seem an odd choice though for shooting paper. If you want to stretch its legs then handloading is definitely the way to go so you can use the longer high-BC bullets - if you have sufficient twist rate.

Confirm with your dealer that you can ship supplies down, up here nobody is licenced to courier ammunition or primers. If your dealer can get them then there's no problem. If you drive here occasionally anyway then you're set, although it may be a breach of the ferry policy to take primers on board - check that.

S O K A R wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:Hope your keeping your cases.

Have about 500 saved up at the moment, not a huge amount but its a starting point

deye243 wrote:Hope you don't expect to do too much paper punching with a 243 its not my choice for that endeavour be lucky if you get 1200 accurate rounds out of it Sub 1moa.

Yeah right, that's interesting
I always assumed they had better barrel life then that, given its a ruger american its probably a throw away when the barrel is done
Thanks for the heads up

Oldbloke wrote:

I'll most likely just keep using factory ammo for the time being and slowly acquire all the reloading gear I need, I'll most likely end up with all the bells & whistles
Blame it on ocd :lol:
But gives me abit of time to find the supplies I need

bladeracer wrote:

Can get supplies freighted down worst case, its just a huge pain in the ass and costly so kind of defeats the purpose of cost cutting in the first place
But in saying that I'm in melb on a regular basis so could just bring the car and bring them back with me on the boat as opposed to flying
Thanks for the heads up, few things to consider none the less
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 31 Jan 2023, 8:09 pm

Some good advice there.
500 empties is plenty to get started.
Yes there are DGs restrictions on the ferry.
AR2208 & Ar2206H are easy to get and incredibly versatile so a good starting point.
You could buy a reloading kit, like the Lee Anniversary kit for example.
Personally I'd suggest buying gear as you require it. Here is a list.

RE-LOADING EQUIPMENT
You don’t need heaps of stuff to start reloading. Some can be made or purchased second hand
YOU MUST HAVE *
* “O” or “C” Frame press-Any 7/8” press, some come with the priming tool - I have a simplex Master. Just must be a solid press.
* Priming tool
* Shell holders to suit the cartridge
* Dies- MUST have for each calibre. Lee RGB are the cheapest to get you started. ~$50
* Loading block(s) Buy or easy to make
* Sizing lube - Any oil will do. e.g. diff, engine, coco nut or Lanox
* Powder funnel-Must have one of these.
* Scales. A MUST. Beam or electronic. I have beam. Some whinge about the lee scales? But at a pinch they do the job.
* Components, Powder, Primers Projectiles, Cases
* Access to ADI Powder manual-for loading data.
* Manual on how to do it or someone to show you.
OPTIONAL or Can wait a while
Trimmer- You need to buy one of these with each cartridge in the lee kit. But a generic one is preferred. It will do almost any cartridge, most companies sell them. I have a simplex.
There is also a cheap Lee trimmer used with a drill.
Powder scoops-Easy to make from fired cases
Lee Perfect Powder measure. (If you load lots) abt $60. These are great
Primer pocket cleaner, Easy to make, drill or screw driver
De-burrer, A sharp pocket knife and fine file will do this if you have nothing else. Plumbers pipe de-burrer.
Trickler, or very tiny scoop. Or just use a 308 shell and dribble it in. Easy to make too
Vernier caliper to check case length & OAL. I got away with a plastic dial caliper for years. Dial type seem to be best.
Tumbler, But I use the salt/vinegar solution. Fine for most. Ultra sonic jewelry cleaners a great.

RE-LOADING PROCEDURE

1. De-Prime
2. Clean in Aldi ultrasonic cleaner. Water, vinegar, soap, salt. Rinse and air dry
3. Visual inspection of fired cases looking for signs of pressures, case separation or neck cracking
4. Anneal every few reloads or as required.
5. Lube & Lightly lube inside of neck FLRS
6. Wash and air dry
7. Trim all cases & debur. as required
8. Prime,
9. Charge
10. Seat projectile and check length. (OAL)
11. Go shooting

Lots of basic info here. Lots of DIY options.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13453
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles