Ruger Hawkeye hunter vs Browning BLR

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Ruger Hawkeye hunter vs Browning BLR

Post by AussieMadman » 03 Feb 2023, 7:38 pm

what would you choose?
both would be chambered in .308 win.
considering things like reliability and accuracy - reliability is a big one as nothing that i own has an easy life.
keen to hear your answers
AussieMadman
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Re: Ruger Hawkeye hunter vs Browning BLR

Post by Blr243 » 03 Feb 2023, 11:53 pm

I have blr. Id be choosing the action style before i started choosing who makes it
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 04 Feb 2023, 1:07 am

AussieMadman wrote:what would you choose?
considering things like reliability and accuracy - reliability is a big one as nothing that i own has an easy life.

I'd go bolt-action over lever action.
But those are two fairly different designs so it'd likely come down to which you find more comfortable and which works best for you.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 04 Feb 2023, 6:55 am

Definitely the bolt action
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by retorts » 04 Feb 2023, 11:17 am

I actually own the Browning BLR (take down version) in 308 and the Ruger American in 308... I know the Ruger American is a lower quality than the Hawkeye but I really do prefer the Browning BLR... Most of my hunting is within 200 yards / meters... One of the main reasons I prefer the lever over the bolt is that I am a lefty for long guns and can shoot pistols left or right handed... I am mainly right handed but left eye dominant so for me it is just more natural with the BLR... I think the bolt may be a bit more accurate but have no issues with accuracy with 150gr or 180gr commercial loads... I've put several hundred rounds through each with no issues... The BLR is still tight and rattle free... For what it's worth, for me the BLR is easier to clean since I have the take down version...
retorts
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by GQshayne » 04 Feb 2023, 7:48 pm

bigpete wrote:Definitely the bolt action

Definately the lever action.

Of course, we have no idea what it will be used for, so a side by side 12 gauge may be a good option too.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 04 Feb 2023, 8:03 pm

GQshayne wrote:
bigpete wrote:Definitely the bolt action

Definitely the lever action.

Of course, we have no idea what it will be used for, so a side by side 12 gauge may be a good option too.

He did stress that reliability is important though, that leads me away from lever-action - although the BLR does do away with most of the features that add to the complexity of most lever-action designs, particularly the lifter mechanism.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 05 Feb 2023, 6:59 am

Having owned lever actions for years I went back to bolts entirely for the above reason. And they're not a great deal slower in reality
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Billo » 05 Feb 2023, 12:27 pm

bigpete wrote:Having owned lever actions for years I went back to bolts entirely for the above reason. And they're not a great deal slower in reality

Nope Id disagree, bombing up mobs pigs a BLR will put 4 on the ground whilst you might get 2 ;) :drinks:
22lr, 20 Hornady Hornet, 6mm ARC, 270 Win, 308 Win, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 S&W
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 05 Feb 2023, 12:33 pm

I dunno,I can work a bolt pretty quick,quick enough I can accurately shoot just as quick with a bolt as I could with a lever action.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by deye243 » 05 Feb 2023, 5:17 pm

AussieMadman wrote:what would you choose?

You have not mentioned what this rifle will be for two completely different designs which will excel in 2 completely different scenarios
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 05 Feb 2023, 5:22 pm

I got three with my bow from a mob up north once before they all moved out of range that was cool i never before grabbed artows from my quiver and loaded them as fast As that day. Bit of a sound advantage i think. One thing i really hate about getying old is that i cant remember so many detsils about what i used to get up to .
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by jpsauer88 » 09 Feb 2023, 5:57 pm

Id stay away from Ruger, is there a reason you selecred ruger?
Lots of nicer guns out there for less coin.

Howa finished better and shoots great, tikka, browning...pretty much anything

If your set on CRF a winchester model 70 or CZ550 (there's a few for sale in 308) is IDEAL.

Check out this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17576&start=60
jpsauer88
Private
Private

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles