Best 223 options for plinking/hunting/farm work

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Best 223 options for plinking/hunting/farm work

Post by cloudsurfer » 25 Feb 2023, 10:48 am

Hi folks,

I own a Howa 1500 chambered in 223 with MDT chassis. It's lovely to look at and shoots well, however I'm kinda over the tacticool look and it's quite heavy so I only ever pull it out at the range.

For around the farm it's just too heavy and so I'm considering to sell it and buy something more lightweight but just as precise that I can take to the range occasionally but mostly carry around on the farm. Range would be up to 400 yards I'd say. I wouldn't really shoot beyond that.

Any recommendations here? I looked at the Lithgow LA102 as I have the smaller 101 and love it but I'm not vetted to any brand really. It's a bit about value for money and if I can keep it to below $2500 (ideally with scope) that would be ideal.

Pls spam me :)
cloudsurfer
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Best 223 options for plinking/hunting/farm work

Post by Shootermick » 25 Feb 2023, 11:08 am

I’m currently in the same boat. I’ve got a Lithgow 223, fantastic rifle, but fairly long and reasonably heavy for manoeuvring around in the ute for the day to day work around the farm.
So I’m currently tossing up between a couple of single shots, a used H&R 36” total length, $700, or a new Bergara BA 13 35” total length, $1175. Just for the odd feral that I encounter during work. Then I’ve still got the Lithgow for my serious shooting and spotlighting.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 25 Feb 2023, 11:28 am

Ruger American Predator would be my pick, or the Ranch Rifle.

cloudsurfer wrote:Hi folks,

I own a Howa 1500 chambered in 223 with MDT chassis. It's lovely to look at and shoots well, however I'm kinda over the tacticool look and it's quite heavy so I only ever pull it out at the range.

For around the farm it's just too heavy and so I'm considering to sell it and buy something more lightweight but just as precise that I can take to the range occasionally but mostly carry around on the farm. Range would be up to 400 yards I'd say. I wouldn't really shoot beyond that.

Any recommendations here? I looked at the Lithgow LA102 as I have the smaller 101 and love it but I'm not vetted to any brand really. It's a bit about value for money and if I can keep it to below $2500 (ideally with scope) that would be ideal.

Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 25 Feb 2023, 11:44 am

Or Howa mini. Abt $750
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 25 Feb 2023, 12:54 pm

Cz 527 carbine
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 26 Feb 2023, 6:27 am

just spend the money on a 1-12 tikka t3 and never look back :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by animalpest » 26 Feb 2023, 10:53 am

bigrich wrote:just spend the money on a 1-12 tikka t3 and never look back :thumbsup:

:drinks:
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Gun-nut » 26 Feb 2023, 1:20 pm

Ruger american would be a good choice. Rugged, accurate and takes ar mags as a bonus. CZ 527 carbine is another good choice, but discontinued now unfortunately.
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 26 Feb 2023, 1:30 pm

Could you knock four or six inches off the barrel and put it back in its plastic stock to give you a lighter rifle?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by northdude » 26 Feb 2023, 2:29 pm

Can you sell the chassis and get a light weight stock for the rifle your already familiar with?
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by Barbarian » 27 Feb 2023, 8:12 am

My main hunting rifle started life as a Tikka CTR .308 and has since evolved into a 6.5 with CF Proof Barrel and now sits in a KRG Bravo with whiskey 3 forend setup to use the TRG/CTR mags (Had my smith open up the mag well to match the CTR Bravo backbone as I like the lower profile of the CTR 10rnd mags over a 10rnd AICS mag)

So throwing a new stock on the Howa like a Bravo and getting a CF barrel would be a good way to drop some weight from the rifle.
Barbarian
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by ash_hendo » 28 Feb 2023, 8:10 pm

bladeracer wrote:Ruger American Predator would be my pick, or the Ranch Rifle.

I have a Ruger Ranch rifle and I think it is very suitable for an around the farm rifle:Cheap, light, short and easy to manage, sub moa accurate, plastic waterproof stock and rugged. Takes AR15 magazines.... I like it.
ash_hendo
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Larry » 28 Feb 2023, 9:24 pm

From what you describe I think the best option for you would be a Howa 1500 in a Houge stock with floor plate. it gives so many of the features you want other than a larger capacity mag. Another good option would be the mini action.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by in2anity » 01 Mar 2023, 12:09 pm

As mentioned, just grab that 223 Ranch rifle and whack a cheapie bushnell on it. Add a Rhodesian sling, throw it in the back of the truck and call it a day. Not far north of $1k and it’ll vital shot anything out to 300m, if you learn to use it properly.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by RunRabbit » 01 Mar 2023, 8:22 pm

T3x with Leupold vx3 4-14. Would come in around $2500 with current prices from Cleaver.
RunRabbit
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 01 Mar 2023, 9:22 pm

RunRabbit wrote:T3x with Leupold vx3 4-14. Would come in around $2500 with current prices from Cleaver.

great choice , i have that exact setup . :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Peter988 » 03 Mar 2023, 7:35 pm

Love my Sauer
Peter988
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by ThatNewGuy » 04 Mar 2023, 8:46 pm

Second-hand is also an option, There are plenty on the market at the moment. so might be able to pick up a really nice rifle on the cheap
I just wanted something here...

-New Guy
ThatNewGuy
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Express404 » 05 Mar 2023, 8:58 am

Tikka.. super accurate. Sporter or Fluted Superlite are great to carry around and still super accurate. A carry hunting rifle is very different to a cumbersome heavy set up.. whilst tight groups are a great brag factor, even 3/4" groups are fine and will hunt everything to 300m.. which is a long way anyway. Ive been hunting for 45 years. Most hunting shots and spotlighting shots are 100 to 150m... ( sometimes 300m) and been buying 100 or 200 rounds of 223 or 243 factory ammo at a time, sight in.. and hunt. However about to start reloading, and I will do both factory velocity and I want some mild loads.. less noise.
Our kids hunt and fish.
Express404
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Shootermick » 05 Mar 2023, 6:01 pm

Shootermick wrote:I’m currently in the same boat. I’ve got a Lithgow 223, fantastic rifle, but fairly long and reasonably heavy for manoeuvring around in the ute for the day to day work around the farm.
So I’m currently tossing up between a couple of single shots, a used H&R 36” total length, $700, or a new Bergara BA 13 35” total length, $1175. Just for the odd feral that I encounter during work. Then I’ve still got the Lithgow for my serious shooting and spotlighting.

Well I solved my need for a second 223 yesterday.
Went with a Bergara single shot. Nice length, balance and weight about it. Really looking forward to picking this one up. Should be perfect for the ute.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Mar 2023, 11:48 pm

Nothing wrong with singles
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 06 Mar 2023, 8:52 am

Reminds me of one of our novel "telescopic sights" match where an old-timer ran a BSA CF-2 308 single shot. Bipod only; no rear rest. I happened to film it:

https://youtu.be/fKNpA4xASBA

Not shown in the video, he was sending them at a rate of one every 8 seconds; 4 second exposure.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles