Hi in SA and about to get a roo gun, advice please!

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Hi in SA and about to get a roo gun, advice please!

Post by Gsxrdan » 25 Feb 2023, 8:36 pm

The wife 'convinced' me we need to get a couple of roos a year for ppl and dog meat, I don't need to be told twice! What should I get? And where do I go to buy firearm and ammo? I'm in Adelaide's south. Pretty sure I want a 223, but my experience is only with an old Stirling .22 years ago (I did shoot prob 10k rounds thru it tho, fun times). And do most ppl reload your own ammo?

Thanks, and pls be gentle to a newbie!
Gsxrdan
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Re: Hi in SA and about to get a roo gun, advice please!

Post by Blr243 » 04 Mar 2023, 1:42 pm

In that situation i would get a heavy barrelled howa 223 and i would be buying ppu or similar budget factoty ammo. Def no point reloading and beware of the laws before you start lining up up native fauna
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 04 Mar 2023, 2:20 pm

Gsxrdan wrote:The wife 'convinced' me we need to get a couple of roos a year for ppl and dog meat, I don't need to be told twice! What should I get? And where do I go to buy firearm and ammo? I'm in Adelaide's south. Pretty sure I want a 223, but my experience is only with an old Stirling .22 years ago (I did shoot prob 10k rounds thru it tho, fun times). And do most ppl reload your own ammo?

Its a little more involved than just " going out and getting a roo or 2 ".
Get a minimum 223 to be legal,doesn't have to be a heavy barrelled thing with a scope big enough to count craters on the moon. But it does have to be legal
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 04 Mar 2023, 2:22 pm

The first thing is you can't legally give other people roo meat. You can take it for your own use as long as you have tags for the property that you're a designated shooter on a destruction permit,but you can't give it to anyway
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Mar 2023, 3:03 pm

bigpete wrote:The first thing is you can't legally give other people roo meat. You can take it for your own use as long as you have tags for the property that you're a designated shooter on a destruction permit,but you can't give it to anyway

:thumbsup:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 04 Mar 2023, 3:57 pm

Gsxrdan wrote:The wife 'convinced' me we need to get a couple of roos a year for ppl and dog meat, I don't need to be told twice! What should I get? And where do I go to buy firearm and ammo? I'm in Adelaide's south. Pretty sure I want a 223, but my experience is only with an old Stirling .22 years ago (I did shoot prob 10k rounds thru it tho, fun times). And do most ppl reload your own ammo?

First issue is that it is illegal to shoot kangaroos, and most other native wildlife without special permissions - rabbits, hares and goats might be simpler as they are pest species and make very good eating. Likewise for deer which are not a pest species, you'll probably need a deer licence for those. I assume you do have access to somebody's private property to hunt and shoot on as there is no public land hunting in SA anymore. But you could travel to Victoria to hunt on public land.

.223Rem is not a bad choice at all, especially if you can qualify to shoot kangaroos - but you have to become skilled enough to head-shoot them, that's the only legal shot you can take.

As for reloading, I wouldn't do it any other way. I started reloading when I bought my first centrefire and haven't changed since.

To buy ammo we can no longer order it online so your best bet is to discuss with your nearest dealer, it'll likely be cheaper to buy from him than to travel somewhere else and spend more on fuel and vehicle costs than you'll save on cheaper ammo. I haven't looked at factory ammo prices recently but you're probably looking at $1.50 to $2.00 per round these days. The rifle you can order online from lots of dealers, but again it may just be cheaper to buy one from your dealer rather than pay shipping and interstate transfer fees.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 04 Mar 2023, 4:17 pm

bladeracer wrote:

First issue is that it is illegal to shoot kangaroos, and most other native wildlife without special permissions - rabbits, hares and goats might be simpler as they are pest species and make very good eating. Likewise for deer which are not a pest species, you'll probably need a deer licence for those. I assume you do have access to somebody's private property to hunt and shoot on as there is no public land hunting in SA anymore. But you could travel to Victoria to hunt on public land.

.223Rem is not a bad choice at all, especially if you can qualify to shoot kangaroos - but you have to become skilled enough to head-shoot them, that's the only legal shot you can take.

As for reloading, I wouldn't do it any other way. I started reloading when I bought my first centrefire and haven't changed since.

To buy ammo we can no longer order it online so your best bet is to discuss with your nearest dealer, it'll likely be cheaper to buy from him than to travel somewhere else and spend more on fuel and vehicle costs than you'll save on cheaper ammo. I haven't looked at factory ammo prices recently but you're probably looking at $1.50 to $2.00 per round these days. The rifle you can order online from lots of dealers, but again it may just be cheaper to buy one from your dealer rather than pay shipping and interstate transfer fees.

No deer licence in SA and you don't need to " qualify " to shoot roos under a destruction permit. Only if you are harvesting for consumption which is a different thing altogether.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 04 Mar 2023, 4:25 pm

bigpete wrote:No deer licence in SA and you don't need to " qualify " to shoot roos under a destruction permit. Only if you are harvesting for consumption which is a different thing altogether.

Nice about the deer. I meant qualify for cull permits - too hard for me to bother with down here.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 04 Mar 2023, 4:34 pm

bladeracer wrote:
bigpete wrote:No deer licence in SA and you don't need to " qualify " to shoot roos under a destruction permit. Only if you are harvesting for consumption which is a different thing altogether.

Nice about the deer. I meant qualify for cull permits - too hard for me to bother with down here.

Its up to the landowner to qualify for the permits. Its not hard at all. Then they can buy tags that can be given to whoever shoots under their destruction permit so that individual can take roo meat for their own individual use ( that of their household ). The allotted shooters don't have to pass any accuracy qualifications but they do need to adhere to the federal guidelines for non commercial macropod harvest. Which in a nutshell is 204 Ruger or larger,head shots unless attempting to kill an already wounded animal,and no shots beyond 200m.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Mar 2023, 4:41 pm

About reloading. The only way to go. But if your only shooting off a couple of boxes a year probably not worth your trouble.

Even I have covered the cost of my gear and I don't shoot much at all. But probably took 25 years. But I like the process and there are additional benefits other than costs savings.

Suggest you keep all your empty cases. When you have about 100, rethink reloading then.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 04 Mar 2023, 4:47 pm

Oldbloke wrote:About reloading. The only way to go. But if your only shooting off a couple of boxes a year probably not worth your trouble.

Even I have covered the cost of my gear and I don't shoot much at all. But probably took 25 years. But I like the process and there are additional benefits other than costs savings.

Suggest you keep all your empty cases. When you have about 100, rethink reloading then.

Yeah,I reload too and always have done , but I confess these days I don't put enough rounds down range that I'd warrant it if I owned a 223.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 04 Mar 2023, 5:45 pm

Buy yourself a Tikka T3 and some ammo that uses 50 or 55 grain Hornady VMax and Bobs your uncle.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Diamond Jim » 06 Mar 2023, 9:05 pm

Blr243 wrote:In that situation i would get a heavy barrelled howa 223 and i would be buying ppu or similar budget factoty ammo. Def no point reloading and beware of the laws before you start lining up up native fauna

The Howa is a great value rifle but the heavy barrel "varmint" model is, surprise, very heavy. Fine if you are doing all your shooting from a vehicle or a rest or bipod but a beast to carry any distance at all and almost impossible to shoot from a standing position (unless you are built like Dwayne Johnson). If you are likely to be walking then I'd look at one of the lighter models which also shoot extremely well.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by JohnV » 08 Mar 2023, 4:16 pm

223 , Either a Howa or a Weatherby Vanguard with a 4 to 12 Leupold scope . Works pretty good. My roo rifle is a CMC Mountaineer 1 of 500 celebration rifle in 223 with a 12 power scope . It's the forerunner of the Howa .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Return to Centerfire rifles