Does anyone know much about the Zastava LK M85?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Does anyone know much about the Zastava LK M85?

Post by jwai86 » 06 Apr 2023, 1:07 pm

I saw a couple of .223 Zastava LK M85 rifles being advertised on Used Guns. However, I haven't seen one in person before, and wouldn't have a clue about Serbian manufacturing quality, fit or finish.

How do they compare to a Howa Mini Action in the same calibre?
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Does anyone know much about the Zastava LK M85?

Post by No1Mk3 » 06 Apr 2023, 3:30 pm

G'day jwai86,
Zastava rifles are usually of good fit and finish, they have been in the arms business since 1853 making cannon with small arms production from 1928 and made Mausers for the Kingdom of Serbia, the Third Reich, Yugoslavia and the AK47, AK74 etc as well as machine guns, sub-guns, pistols, cannons etc. and are still the main supplier of arms for Serbia and some other countries. I would not hesitate to buy a Zastava rifle, and between them and sau Howa it would come down only to price.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by jwai86 » 06 Apr 2023, 4:06 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day jwai86,
Zastava rifles are usually of good fit and finish, they have been in the arms business since 1853 making cannon with small arms production from 1928 and made Mausers for the Kingdom of Serbia, the Third Reich, Yugoslavia and the AK47, AK74 etc as well as machine guns, sub-guns, pistols, cannons etc. and are still the main supplier of arms for Serbia and some other countries. I would not hesitate to buy a Zastava rifle, and between them and sau Howa it would come down only to price.

Do you have any opinions about the M85 specifically?

So far, I know that the M85 uses a mini Mauser action but with push feed instead of controlled feed. It often gets mentioned as a cheaper but rougher alternative to the CZ 527.
Last edited by jwai86 on 06 Apr 2023, 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by No1Mk3 » 06 Apr 2023, 6:10 pm

The M85 mini action is based on the Sako 46 action, so is push feed. The whole push vs CRF is a load of hot wank as far as I'm concerned, I've owned and used both and they both have their pros and cons. The action finish on the CZ is superior, but you pay for it, and as the CZ is no longer in production but the Zastava and Howa are I guess the shooting public voted with their wallets on that issue. The action on the 85's I've used are certainly not "Carcano" rough and are very durable and reliable. As I posted before I would not hesitate to buy one if I was in the market for a small bolt action and only price would determine my choice, certainly if a CZ527 came up at the same price as a Howa or Zastava I would grab it, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by yoshie » 08 Apr 2023, 8:16 am

I've got a Zastava in 9.3x62 and I'm happy with the quality. Manufacturing and labour costs in Serbia are lower hence the lower price. Quality is good. It's no Sako but it was more than a quarter of the price.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by northdude » 08 Apr 2023, 10:58 am

I haven't owned that particular model but had a zastava in 22mag. very nice quality rifle for the price. Id buy another one if one came up in a caliber I was looking for. You don't see them second hand very much so I guess the owners keep them for a reason..
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Return to Centerfire rifles