New production k98 mausers

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

New production k98 mausers

Post by Gun-nut » 09 Apr 2023, 3:22 pm

New production k98s coming in from serbia (zastava?) are arriving in the United States and Canada. Both in 8mm mauser and .308. Would be interesting if some aussie importers jumped on this seeing the astronomical prices that k98s are going for down here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wj8XoFx ... fleReviews

Skip to 1.50 to see them talk about the mauser.
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: New production k98 mausers

Post by bladeracer » 09 Apr 2023, 4:33 pm

Gun-nut wrote:New production k98s coming in from serbia (zastava?) are arriving in the United States and Canada. Both in 8mm mauser and .308. Would be interesting if some aussie importers jumped on this seeing the astronomical prices that k98s are going for down here.

Are they likely to be cheaper than the prices of milsurps though?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gun-nut » 09 Apr 2023, 11:48 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Gun-nut wrote:New production k98s coming in from serbia (zastava?) are arriving in the United States and Canada. Both in 8mm mauser and .308. Would be interesting if some aussie importers jumped on this seeing the astronomical prices that k98s are going for down here.

No information on prices at this point unfortunately, but if they're not at the very least cheaper than original k98s in good condition than I don't see them being competitive. If however they are built by Zastava I could see them being affordable given the price of their current products.
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by phill55phill » 10 Apr 2023, 9:18 am

Milsurps are way overpriced they made a hundred million of them
phill55phill
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by phill55phill » 10 Apr 2023, 9:18 am

Milsurps are way overpriced they made a hundred million of them
phill55phill
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by No1Mk3 » 10 Apr 2023, 1:42 pm

Gun-nut wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

No information on prices at this point unfortunately, but if they're not at the very least cheaper than original k98s in good condition than I don't see them being competitive. If however they are built by Zastava I could see them being affordable given the price of their current products.

A new Zastava Mauser (Preduzece 44, M48, M48A) is $14 to $1600 in the grease, although I have seen some adventurous soul ask over $2K for a used one. To the collector the latest batch of Yugo Mausers will never be as desirable as earlier models since we don't buy the rifle, we buy the history which is why I paid $2500 for my Bosniak Sniper M48A. I can't see the price for the 7.62 variant being under the $800 odd price of an Israeli
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 10 Apr 2023, 5:14 pm

It could be a good way to get hold of an action as the basis for a custom rifle if it's not too expensive because many gunsmiths will not re barrel old wartime Mauser's as there is no manufacture liability coverage for them . They sometimes do a hardness test and they come up a bit soft .
I had a Maser knocked back by a gunsmith once and ended up re-barreling it my self , shoots great and takes all the pressure no problems . I would only use one of these actions myself if they still had the armorers lugs inside the front action ring .
I set my barrels up to seat hard on the lugs but soft on front ring face . My action shoots better that way and is the way Mauser intended the barrel to be fitted. In these new commercial actions the front ring face may be much straighter than an old Mauser and still be ok even if it had no lugs but I just like the armorers lug system . Just looking at the barrel nocks form profile it looks like it may well have the armorers lugs .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by straightshooter » 11 Apr 2023, 6:38 am

I thought I knew my way around a M98 fairly well but this is the first time I have seen any reference to "armourers lugs". Please enlighten me.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by JohnV » 11 Apr 2023, 1:30 pm

Inside the front action ring on many Mauser 98's are two lugs or a circle lug sticking out and the face of the barrel tenon can land on those lugs instead of landing on the barrel shoulder . The reason for that is during manufacture the barrel chamber can be just cut to a certain depth from the barrel face and then the barrel wacked in at a certain force with no reference to the front action ring face or barrel shoulder .
Which is why Military Mauser's generally don't have much of a barrel shoulder at all . I will see if I can find a photo on the net . If I can't I will pull the barrel from my Mauser and take a photo .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by straightshooter » 11 Apr 2023, 3:44 pm

JohnV
No need to do what you said.
What you have indicated in the factory drawing is commonly called the "Inner Collar" in just about any literature I have read.
I note that you have a dimensioned drawing from PFK Warszawa. I have a couple of K98's, a K29 and a sporter based on a WZ29 all of Radom manufacture.
An interesting factoid: When Roy Weatherby was still working as a custom gunsmith his action of choice was a Radom mauser.
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by JohnV » 11 Apr 2023, 10:13 pm

straightshooter wrote:JohnV
No need to do what you said.
What you have indicated in the factory drawing is commonly called the "Inner Collar" in just about any literature I have read.
I note that you have a dimensioned drawing from PFK Warszawa. I have a couple of K98's, a K29 and a sporter based on a WZ29 all of Radom manufacture.
An interesting factoid: When Roy Weatherby was still working as a custom gunsmith his action of choice was a Radom mauser.

In Military circles it was called armorers lugs because that's what the collar was designed for to assist the Military Armorers who had to maintain the Mauser's and quickly fit new barrels , also for ease of manufacture . Anyway some gunsmiths don't even know how to properly fit a Mauser barrel with lugs and set the barrel hard on the front action ring face , which sometimes is ok if the face is machined accurate but sometimes it's bad and it won't shoot well . I know what works as I have built my own guns in the past and I was advised to do it that way from a German engineer in a local machine shop I frequented that worked on Mausers back in Germany . He said that when you seat the barrel on the front action ring the barrel threads stretch the tenon . When you seat on the lugs you compress the tenon making a better lock up . The shop is gone now I think he died . This is how my Mauser shoots with pretty max power 243 loads .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by No1Mk3 » 11 Apr 2023, 10:54 pm

To-mah-toe, to-may-toe, it's also called the "C Ring", it depends where you were trained and where your trainer studied. As JohnV said the intention of Mauser is that the action screw up to the C Ring with appx .0015 to .002" gap from the action face, and then when torqued to 65 to 70 ft/lb the barrel ring contacts the action face. In practice it doesn't always make a difference but in many Mausers it does. The method is intended to avoid the need to true the action.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 12 Apr 2023, 11:47 am

The guy in the video says they will be affordable so if you want a K98 that hasn't been around the block, it might be an interesting option for some.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Gun-nut » 12 Apr 2023, 3:21 pm

I imagine they'd be made off of existing tooling as well to keep the price down. Having them be affordable would be impossible with the price of retooling up. Would also be interested to know if they'd offer them already drilled and tapped for optics.
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by dnedative » 12 Apr 2023, 8:09 pm

They wont be cheap, I'm sure someone will bring in a batch asking $3000 a pop.
dnedative
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 13 Apr 2023, 4:49 am

maybe new on their own receivers and bolts will become available as new parts ?
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by straightshooter » 21 Apr 2023, 8:11 am

A couple of pages from "The Bolt Action: A Design Analysis, Vol. 1 by Stuart Otteson"
Attachments
OttesonM98p5.jpg
OttesonM98p5.jpg (132.3 KiB) Viewed 4158 times
OttesonM98p4.jpg
OttesonM98p4.jpg (180.46 KiB) Viewed 4158 times
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles