New (southpaw) centerfire shooter

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

New (southpaw) centerfire shooter

Post by Chippy89 » 11 Apr 2023, 9:22 am

Gday,

First off - I'm a new shooter and new to the forum, so I apologize if I'm putting my first post in the wrong category.

I'm early 30s, carpenter and relatively new to the scene. Ive grown up shooting the odd 22lr and live in rural Victoria (near Yea) and looking to hunt foxes and goats - once my skill has increased I would ideally like to go after deer where possible to keep myself fed.

I'm left handed and subsequently options are limited in terms of available centerfires - for foxes I was looking for a 223 but LH options are limited for <$1000 which has pushed me to consider a Ruger Predator in 243.

I want to become proficient in shooting before I start to hunt any animal as I don't want to get out there until I'm confident I can ethically kill at a standard 100 yard distance. My problem is that there is nowhere near me that allows me to get behind a centerfire (at a range) to get my skills up, let alone practice sighting in a centerfire. I also don't know anyone with land that I can approach
and I believe you can only 'sight in' on crown land, not shoot targets..

I would be interested in what others have done in my position because I'm surely not the first!

Any input on anything above will be greatly appreciated - just please don't tell me to buy a SS Tika and throw a 2k Leopold on it! Building my skills and learning good habits is more important to me than having all the gear and no idea!

Cheers,
Chippy89
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: New (southpaw) centerfire shooter

Post by Blr243 » 12 Apr 2023, 7:12 pm

Sounds tome like you need to travel to the range even if its a long w ay away .. or pay to hunt ... most pay to hunt places also practice if done in a safe manner. I sight rifles in on hunting trips because i hate going to rifle ranges I shot my first fallow with my 243 decades ago. Is it a legal cal where u operate ?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Apr 2023, 9:58 pm

Have you tried VRA

https://www.vra.asn.au/rifle-ranges

https://ssaavic.com.au/ranges/

You do seem to be in a bit of a "no ranges" area.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Peterwho » 12 Apr 2023, 10:05 pm

Chippy

As a fellow left hander, good luck with your journey. It is worth keeping an eye on SSAA, Used Guns and Oz Guns websites for LH guns. They come up regularly enough. There is a Ruger M77 in 223 on one of the sites now that is in Victoria. It might be close enough to look at.

Regards

Peter
Peterwho
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by northdude » 13 Apr 2023, 4:12 am

Im a lefty. I have a couple of lh rifles but most of them are rh drive. You can shoot fine with them and you get used to it.
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by Chippy89 » 13 Apr 2023, 4:39 pm

Blr243 wrote:Sounds tome like you need to travel to the range even if its a long w ay away .. or pay to hunt ... most pay to hunt places also practice if done in a safe manner. I sight rifles in on hunting trips because i hate going to rifle ranges I shot my first fallow with my 243 decades ago. Is it a legal cal where u operate ?

For hog/fallow/chital - yes. With a min 80gr.

Yes it looks like I have a few long drives ahead of me.. I was hoping someone would point out a range that I missed when searching! Sadly, not the case.
Chippy89
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Chippy89 » 13 Apr 2023, 4:41 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Have you tried VRA

https://www.vra.asn.au/rifle-ranges

https://ssaavic.com.au/ranges/

You do seem to be in a bit of a "no ranges" area.

Yeah - I'm up in Kinglake. There's no ranges around apparently!
Chippy89
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Chippy89 » 13 Apr 2023, 4:41 pm

Peterwho wrote:Chippy

As a fellow left hander, good luck with your journey. It is worth keeping an eye on SSAA, Used Guns and Oz Guns websites for LH guns. They come up regularly enough. There is a Ruger M77 in 223 on one of the sites now that is in Victoria. It might be close enough to look at.

Regards

Peter

Thanks Peter, I'll have a suss
Chippy89
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Pighunter » 17 Apr 2023, 11:46 am

Chippy89 wrote:Gday,

First off - I'm a new shooter and new to the forum, so I apologize if I'm putting my first post in the wrong category.

I'm early 30s, carpenter and relatively new to the scene. Ive grown up shooting the odd 22lr and live in rural Victoria (near Yea) and looking to hunt foxes and goats - once my skill has increased I would ideally like to go after deer where possible to keep myself fed.

I'm left handed and subsequently options are limited in terms of available centerfires - for foxes I was looking for a 223 but LH options are limited for <$1000 which has pushed me to consider a Ruger Predator in 243.

I want to become proficient in shooting before I start to hunt any animal as I don't want to get out there until I'm confident I can ethically kill at a standard 100 yard distance. My problem is that there is nowhere near me that allows me to get behind a centerfire (at a range) to get my skills up, let alone practice sighting in a centerfire. I also don't know anyone with land that I can approach

I would be interested in what others have done in my position because I'm surely not the first!

Any input on anything above will be greatly appreciated - just please don't tell me to buy a SS Tika and throw a 2k Leopold on it! Building my skills and learning good habits is more important to me than having all the gear and no idea!

Cheers,

Marlin 30-30 or pretty much any lever action is ambidextrous another option to consider.
Pighunter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by No1Mk3 » 17 Apr 2023, 5:14 pm

G'day Chippy89,
5 VRA clubs within about an hour, and 1 SSAA. 1 1/2 hrs to Benalla VRA. There is no real limit to how long it takes to sight in your rifle on Crown Land, so if you put up a basic target and spent an hour or so sighting in, no problem.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by wrenchman » 17 Apr 2023, 10:33 pm

check savage they are one the few makers here that make a good number of left hand guns that dont brake the bank
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by AlHow » 19 Apr 2023, 9:08 pm

Cheers,

Welcome mate, I’m new to the game also and a lefty.

Kinglake near Yea? Not quite mate. I used to live in Pheasant Creek. A shooting mate lives in Yea.

Chippy, there is plenty of bush out your way. I used to ride my dirtbikes all through there. Go into one of the pine plantations and set up a target. This is what I do as I now live in Nth East Vic. You can get perfectly good range finders in the brand of Mileseey off ebay for $100, otherwise step it out.

Being a leftie I am still trying to determine which side I’ll shoot from. To date I’m butting on my left shoulder. Today i held one of my rifles (all right handers) as if I was a righty. I don’t have a dominant eye. I was surprised how comfortable and natural it felt. Don’t get too hung up on lefty rifles mate.

Nah you won’t be hearing from me about buying a Tikka and Leupold. My first rifle not long back was a Howa .308 sporter in stainless. Cost me $700 new from Cleavers in Qld. $48 delivery plus dealer handling which was $20. In blue steel these rifles are going for $600. They even have a 6.5 Creedmoor for $500. Total was way cheaper than anyone else could do the rifle alone for. Mate from memory there is a dealer in Epping I think otherwise you have a shop in Seymour.

All the best with it mate and keep us posted.

Al.
AlHow
Private
Private

-

Post by Oldbloke » 19 Apr 2023, 10:56 pm

"Chippy, there is plenty of bush out your way. I used to ride my dirtbikes all through there. Go into one of the pine plantations and set up a target. This is what I do as I now live in Nth East Vic. You can get perfectly good range finders in the brand of Mileseey off ebay for $100, otherwise step it out"

Pine forests land is leased from the State Government.
You are trespassing unless you have permission from the plantation owner.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 19 Apr 2023, 11:56 pm

Oldbloke wrote:"Chippy, there is plenty of bush out your way. I used to ride my dirtbikes all through there. Go into one of the pine plantations and set up a target. This is what I do as I now live in Nth East Vic. You can get perfectly good range finders in the brand of Mileseey off ebay for $100, otherwise step it out"

I'm not convinced of this. It's public land that is leased only for the purpose of growing trees, it is not leased for their sole use and it is in fact a breech of their lease to attempt to keep the public out. I haven't been able to find any legislation that allows them to prevent the public from doing lawful activities in there, and shooting is a lawful activity.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Chippy89 » 20 Apr 2023, 6:32 am

AlHow wrote:

Cheers,

Welcome mate, I’m new to the game also and a lefty.

Kinglake near Yea? Not quite mate. I used to live in Pheasant Creek. A shooting mate lives in Yea.

Chippy, there is plenty of bush out your way. I used to ride my dirtbikes all through there. Go into one of the pine plantations and set up a target. This is what I do as I now live in Nth East Vic. You can get perfectly good range finders in the brand of Mileseey off ebay for $100, otherwise step it out.

Being a leftie I am still trying to determine which side I’ll shoot from. To date I’m butting on my left shoulder. Today i held one of my rifles (all right handers) as if I was a righty. I don’t have a dominant eye. I was surprised how comfortable and natural it felt. Don’t get too hung up on lefty rifles mate.

Nah you won’t be hearing from me about buying a Tikka and Leupold. My first rifle not long back was a Howa .308 sporter in stainless. Cost me $700 new from Cleavers in Qld. $48 delivery plus dealer handling which was $20. In blue steel these rifles are going for $600. They even have a 6.5 Creedmoor for $500. Total was way cheaper than anyone else could do the rifle alone for. Mate from memory there is a dealer in Epping I think otherwise you have a shop in Seymour.

All the best with it mate and keep us posted.

Al.

Thanks mate, yeah Kinglake near Yea - Pheasant creek is just down the road from me. About 10 minutes.

Mt Robertson state forest is only 5 minutes from me, I just didn't know I could go and sight in legally (don't want to get my license taken away!)

Do you know anywhere specific that blokes used to go to practice/sight in?

I'm left eye dominant, my right eye is a bit buggered, so unfortunately left shoulder is the go regardless!
Chippy89
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by AlHow » 20 Apr 2023, 8:50 am

Oldbloke wrote:"Chippy, there is plenty of bush out your way. I used to ride my dirtbikes all through there. Go into one of the pine plantations and set up a target. This is what I do as I now live in Nth East Vic. You can get perfectly good range finders in the brand of Mileseey off ebay for $100, otherwise step it out"

I was a logger in the plantations but to an extent you are correct. I should have been more specific. Where the plantations meet the natural forrest, it is usually quite a large open area. This is where it is great to set up a rifle. Its where I do mine.
Attachments
0B8CE333-2E2D-4BA1-ABD1-82A7D7480728.jpeg
0B8CE333-2E2D-4BA1-ABD1-82A7D7480728.jpeg (477.48 KiB) Viewed 1894 times
AlHow
Private
Private

-

Post by Oldbloke » 20 Apr 2023, 9:25 am

This has been argued in the past. It's been my understanding for many years you need permission. It's leased/licenced from the state governments.

1.In an area I hunt " More to Explore" app indicates is all no go areas.

2. See attached.

3. See cropped section from the pdf

tempFileForShare_20230420-091846_25460850187978.jpg
tempFileForShare_20230420-091846_25460850187978.jpg (272.58 KiB) Viewed 1892 times

FS0002-Where-can-I-hunt-in-State-forest.pdf
(364.89 KiB) Downloaded 3366 times
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 20 Apr 2023, 2:21 pm

Just because a flier says that doesn't make it law though, these people will actively try to convince the public they're not allowed in there, which they are specifically not allowed to do under the terms of their lease. If you can actually find legislation that states that you must have the lessees permission please post it. You need permission to hunt and shoot on private property, you do not need permission on public land as long as it is not a specifically prohibited area.

I went out last month to look at a spot in a plantation that I regularly hear people shooting in. I found a stretch of relatively clear line of sight out to about 250m. At the end is a pile of rubbish that people have brought out for the purpose and left there, drums, boards, furniture, etc. Behind this there is nothing at all, not even trees, just open sky out over the plantation that runs down the hill. Bullets just disappear out into the wilderness it seems.

Oldbloke wrote:This has been argued in the past. It's been my understanding for many years you need permission. It's leased/licenced from the state governments.

2. See attached.

bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 20 Apr 2023, 5:22 pm

bladeracer wrote:Just because a flier says that doesn't make it law though, these people will actively try to convince the public they're not allowed in there, which they are specifically not allowed to do under the terms of their lease. If you can actually find legislation that states that you must have the lessees permission please post it. You need permission to hunt and shoot on private property, you do not need permission on public land as long as it is not a specifically prohibited area.

I went out last month to look at a spot in a plantation that I regularly hear people shooting in. I found a stretch of relatively clear line of sight out to about 250m. At the end is a pile of rubbish that people have brought out for the purpose and left there, drums, boards, furniture, etc. Behind this there is nothing at all, not even trees, just open sky out over the plantation that runs down the hill. Bullets just disappear out into the wilderness it seems.

Oldbloke wrote:This has been argued in the past. It's been my understanding for many years you need permission. It's leased/licenced from the state governments.

2. See attached.

The attachment tempFileForShare_20230420-091846_25460850187978.jpg is no longer available

The attachment FS0002-Where-can-I-hunt-in-State-forest.pdf is no longer available

All I'm going to say is:

Two different sources I mentioned earlier from state government departments say you can't.

I am yet to see legislation that says you can.

And deer hunting maps issued by the state government say you can't.

And deer hunting map 70, attached and freely available to down load clearly says permission is required for the "bluish" leased pine plantation.

I hope you have deep pockets for lawyers.

Resized_Screenshot_20230420-143709_Samsung_Notes.jpeg
Resized_Screenshot_20230420-143709_Samsung_Notes.jpeg (266.69 KiB) Viewed 1878 times

P.S. It's probably in the lease agreements.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 20 Apr 2023, 5:29 pm

I
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 20 Apr 2023, 5:53 pm

Legislation won't say you can, you already can by law, any relevant legislation will specifically prohibit you, just as it does with various reserves and such.

Yes, it is in the lease agreements that they cannot prevent public access for lawful activities on public land, to do so breaches their agreement.

Oldbloke wrote:All I'm going to say is:

Two different sources I mentioned earlier from state government departments say you can't.

And deer hunting map 70, attached and freely available to down load clearly says permission is required for the "bluish" leased pine plantation.

bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 20 Apr 2023, 9:07 pm

Sooo,, the Victorian State Government it lieing to us?
Some how I don't think in this case.

The ADA went to a lot of trouble negotiating with the State Government to ALLOW deer hunting on land LEASED to farmers for cattle grazing in Gippsland a few years ago. I guess they did that just for fun.

Yes, people are hunting/shooting in these areas. Does not mean its lawfull. And just because you cant find the legeslation does not mean it does not exist.

Believe what you like. But if you are right that they are lieing field and game and ADA would be knocking on doors.

But just look at map 70 and "more to explore." You don't need to read the legislation to know you can't.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by AlHow » 20 Apr 2023, 9:41 pm

2. See attached.

Well best you don’t go there. For me, I will. The plantations are not policed. Quite often we see areas as no go zones mainly to protect their own backsides. Many many times while logging we had people pass through without being pulled up for it. I’m yet to hear anyone being charged with entering Hancocks plantations.
AlHow
Private
Private

-

Post by bladeracer » 20 Apr 2023, 9:43 pm

Actually, the legislation is all that counts. Look how many people still believe you can't target shoot on public land, how many believe you need a hunting permit to hunt pests on public land, how many believe you go to jail for using a .22LR in deer habitat, all myths propagated by people that didn't make any effort to look into the legislation. If you investigate the leasing of crown land water frontage for grazing cattle you will find that also allows you to hunt there, despite the adjoining farmer having a lease to use it.

During last year's discussion a number of us went to lengths to try to find any legislation preventing us and all of us came up with nothing, zilch. When I first moved to Victoria, a school friend of Rose's who was a Parks ranger at the time also told me I could hunt in most plantations, but he wasn't supposed to tell people this. For years I thought he was an idiot, now I believe he was correct. If they wanted it to be prohibited it would be _very_ clearly stated _somewhere_, just as it is with other public land that is prohibited. The lessees would have signs up around the plantations warning people not to shoot in there, especially as they know so many people do. There is nothing prohibiting shooting and hunting on leased crown land that anybody can find.

Are you aware of _any_ prosecution for hunting/shooting on leased plantation?

Oldbloke wrote:Sooo,, the Victorian State Government it lieing to us?

The ADA went to a lot of trouble negotiating with the State Government to ALLOW deer hunting on land LEASED to farmers for cattle grazing in Gippsland a few years ago. I guess they did that just for fun.

Yes, people are hunting/shooting in these areas. Does not mean its lawfull. And just because you cant find the legeslation does not mean it does not exist.

Believe what you like. But if you are right that they are lieing field and game and ADA would be knocking on doors.

But just look at map 70 and "more to explore." You don't need to read the legislation to know you can't.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by AlHow » 20 Apr 2023, 9:48 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
bladeracer wrote:Just because a flier says that doesn't make it law though, these people will actively try to convince the public they're not allowed in there, which they are specifically not allowed to do under the terms of their lease. If you can actually find legislation that states that you must have the lessees permission please post it. You need permission to hunt and shoot on private property, you do not need permission on public land as long as it is not a specifically prohibited area.

2. See attached.

All I'm going to say is:

“ I hope you have deep pockets for lawyers” Geez man, like I said in my previous post. Its not policed and people don’t get charged. For decades people have been trailbike riding, hiking, hunting etc through these plantations and nothing comes of it. They don’t want you in there but they don’t treat it like its a criminal offence.
AlHow
Private
Private

-

Post by AlHow » 20 Apr 2023, 9:53 pm

bladeracer wrote:Actually, the legislation is all that counts. Look how many people still believe you can't target shoot on public land, how many believe you need a hunting permit to hunt pests on public land, how many believe you go to jail for using a .22LR in deer habitat, all myths propagated by people that didn't make any effort to look into the legislation. If you investigate the leasing of crown land water frontage for grazing cattle you will find that also allows you to hunt there, despite the adjoining farmer having a lease to use it.

During last year's discussion a number of us went to lengths to try to find any legislation preventing us and all of us came up with nothing, zilch. When I first moved to Victoria, a school friend of Rose's who was a Parks ranger at the time also told me I could hunt in most plantations, but he wasn't supposed to tell people this. For years I thought he was an idiot, now I believe he was correct. If they wanted it to be prohibited it would be _very_ clearly stated _somewhere_, just as it is with other public land that is prohibited. The lessees would have signs up around the plantations warning people not to shoot in there, especially as they know so many people do. There is nothing prohibiting shooting and hunting on leased crown land that anybody can find.

Are you aware of _any_ prosecution for hunting/shooting on leased plantation?

Oldbloke wrote:Sooo,, the Victorian State Government it lieing to us?

“ Are you aware of _any_ prosecution for hunting/shooting on leased plantation?” Doesn’t happen.
AlHow
Private
Private

-

Post by Oldbloke » 20 Apr 2023, 10:14 pm

AlHow wrote:

I was a logger in the plantations but to an extent you are correct. I should have been more specific. Where the plantations meet the natural forrest, it is usually quite a large open area. This is where it is great to set up a rifle. Its where I do mine.

I thought this is what you said.

And actually I don't attend all court cases.

Have I heard of a prosecution? No, Doesn't mean there have been none.

You say it isn't "policed". That sounds to me it's a no, no.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 22 Apr 2023, 4:25 pm

With Victoria having a minimum caliber of .270 with a 130 grain bullet for larger deer it means you need two rifles if you buy a .243 .
You would be limited to the smaller deer of which there seems to be none around your area although one herd is unidentified . I feel a 7mm/08 would do it all with a 140 grain bullet . Another thing is make sure your left eye is your master eye.
Hold up a finger at arms length and line it up with a point using just your left eye . Then open the right eye . The finger should stay essentially on the object even if the object is a bit blurred . Do the same with the right eye and when you open the left eye the finger should move right off the object . The master eye is the one that keeps the finger inline with the object . I have a mate who is left handed but right eye dominant and shoots as a right hander . It's not such a big deal looking through a scope as it's a single eye operation as far as lining up the target goes but using the non dominate eye all the time through a scope can cause eye strain .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Return to Centerfire rifles