350 Legend

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

350 Legend

Post by madang55 » 28 Apr 2023, 2:14 am

Anything happening with this one?
For MY purposes, this looks like ticking a lot of boxes. Only problem, whats available at the moment, i.e. Ruger and Winchester rifles, do not thrill me in the slightest. However, Howa lists the 350 in a couple of their models, but not in AUS. I've asked OSA if they might be bringing them in,....no answer yet. So, anyone got any experience with the calibre yet?
My wife knows me well.
The dog often reminds me of that
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: 350 Legend

Post by wrenchman » 28 Apr 2023, 5:28 am

its ok i have one in a ar 15 platform it was designed to be used in areas were we can only use shot guns or straight wall rounds of a certain size i have not played with it much but if you compare it to a 3030 in loading mine was a gift from my sons.
i tend to be more old school and dont care to hunt with a ar 15 typ gun
i just got dies for it to see what i cant get it to do i have a couple guns i have been spending lots of time working up loads for hunting and just have not started with it yet
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by madang55 » 28 Apr 2023, 1:47 pm

wrenchman wrote:its ok i have one in a ar 15 platform it was designed to be used in areas were we can only use shot guns or straight wall rounds of a certain size i have not played with it much but if you compare it to a 3030 in loading mine was a gift from my sons.
i tend to be more old school and dont care to hunt with a ar 15 typ gun
i just got dies for it to see what i cant get it to do i have a couple guns i have been spending lots of time working up loads for hunting and just have not started with it yet

All good. I will be interested in anything you can tell me
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 28 Apr 2023, 2:10 pm

The 350 Legend has a rebated rim , straight wall slight taper case , so it must head space on the case mouth .
This is a pistol round concept and not a good way to set head clearance in a rifle chamber .
Just letting you know .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by madang55 » 29 Apr 2023, 1:22 am

JohnV wrote:The 350 Legend has a rebated rim , straight wall slight taper case , so it must head space on the case mouth .
This is a pistol round concept and not a good way to set head clearance in a rifle chamber .
Just letting you know .

Guys, I need real world experience on this one. I've read nearly every article and seen nearly every utube on it, but so few people have actually put rounds through one. I know Ruger and Winchester are the original rifles available and that's all there is here in AUS. Personal thing, don't like em. Maybe if were as a M77, maybe. Howa have a mini action model on the books, but try as I might OSA don't talk to the little people. If they could tell me if they were going to bring them in, I would wait. If not, then I might just buy a 223 action, (second hand Rem or the like) and re barrel it.
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 29 Apr 2023, 9:36 pm

Very few people here would have the experience you are looking for with this cartridge, but from what you say it may be best to re-barrel an action you do like. Alternatively if you want a medium bore straight wall have you considered the 360 Buckhammer? Very much the same size, based on a necked-up 30/30 with a bit more velocity and energy than the 350 Legend but it would expand your rifle options, perhaps a Marlin 336 or Savage 340 bolt rifle?
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by madang55 » 30 Apr 2023, 1:35 am

No1Mk3 wrote:Very few people here would have the experience you are looking for with this cartridge, but from what you say it may be best to re-barrel an action you do like. Alternatively if you want a medium bore straight wall have you considered the 360 Buckhammer? Very much the same size, based on a necked-up 30/30 with a bit more velocity and energy than the 350 Legend but it would expand your rifle options, perhaps a Marlin 336 or Savage 340 bolt rifle?

And....there ya go.....you've just ruined my night. Now I gotta go do more reading....but...I think the 350 will do nicely. The BH looks like being a lever, never owned one, don't know much about them, etc,etc. The 350 in a Howa may come in cheaper than a Marlin or a re barrel.
I can probably get a 2nd hand 223 for $500, (or less) a re barrel for $750. Add a 100 for magazine work, a 100 for postage. Rather a Marlin over a Savage.
Never even heard of the 360 till you mentioned it. I should know better, the competition for the 350 wouldn't be far behind.
So, still waiting for an answer from OSA, and watching for a 223 to come along I can cannibalise....
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by wrenchman » 01 May 2023, 4:34 am

Look at forums here in the states you might find what you're looking for
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Oldbloke » 01 May 2023, 7:36 am

What's wrong with a 30/30? Much the same performance.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by wrenchman » 01 May 2023, 9:54 am

i agree oldbloke not to mention you can find lots of ammo and if you load for it you can do a lot with it but guns are like girls what i like you might think she is ugly
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bigrich » 01 May 2023, 12:03 pm

wrenchman wrote:i agree oldbloke not to mention you can find lots of ammo and if you load for it you can do a lot with it but guns are like girls what i like you might think she is ugly

:lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbsup: well said
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by madang55 » 01 May 2023, 11:20 pm

ok....OSA is a no...for now...30/30, never owned a lever. Used one, didn't like it.The problem is available rifles. Has anyone any experience with the Winchester XPR line?
For me, that's the only choice apart from a re barrel. Probably a whole lot more convenient as well.
Girls are like beer. No such thing as bad beer, just some better than others
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 02 May 2023, 1:42 pm

Oldbloke wrote:What's wrong with a 30/30? Much the same performance.

Coz they're lame
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by madang55 » 02 May 2023, 7:03 pm

Lever action. more recoil, more expensive to run. Not as accurate? Don't want one.
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 03 May 2023, 5:21 pm

madang55 wrote:Lever action. more recoil, more expensive to run. Not as accurate? Don't want one.

No idea why a lever has more recoil.

But yes, BAs are easier to clean and more accurate.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 03 May 2023, 8:42 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
madang55 wrote:Lever action. more recoil, more expensive to run. Not as accurate? Don't want one.

No idea why a lever has more recoil.

But yes, BAs are easier to clean and more accurate.

I think he meant the .30-30 has more recoil than the .350, but that doesn't sound right either.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by straightshooter » 04 May 2023, 7:22 am

To date I have been completely ignorant of the 350 Legend.
Research suggests it kinda sorta looks like a reincarnation of a 357 Maximum.
Either of these cartridges may have satisfied a small niche market in the US but in Australia the only advantage it may have is that the owner can brag that they have a 350 Legend and wax glorious about it to disinterested listeners.
Why anyone in Australia would waste time pining over this caliber when lever and bolt actions in 358 Win and lever actions in 35 Rem are readily available, and can be loaded to full power or loaded down as desired, beats me.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by JohnV » 04 May 2023, 11:21 am

straightshooter wrote:To date I have been completely ignorant of the 350 Legend.
Research suggests it kinda sorta looks like a reincarnation of a 357 Maximum.
Either of these cartridges may have satisfied a small niche market in the US but in Australia the only advantage it may have is that the owner can brag that they have a 350 Legend and wax glorious about it to disinterested listeners.
Why anyone in Australia would waste time pining over this caliber when lever and bolt actions in 358 Win and lever actions in 35 Rem are readily available, and can be loaded to full power or loaded down as desired, beats me.

And head spacing on the case mouth is not optimal for a rifle cartridge . It seems to me this is one of those cartridges that is used as a pistol and rifle matching ammo kinda thing .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 04 May 2023, 12:26 pm

Never heard of it till last week. Lol.
Buy a 308 or 30.30 IMO
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by madang55 » 19 May 2023, 1:52 am

So...why am I buying a 350 Legend.?
1. Because I can.
2. Because (Personal preference) I'm not fond of lever actions. Yes, I have used a 30/30. I do find the old big cal levers interesting, and if I could afford to I would love to play with them.
3. It is cheap to run. Reloading will present a challenge, and I do like a challenge. I will collect a sh.t load of brass and then think about it.
4. Remember the boxes?...it ticks a lot.... over 200yds it delivers some serious punch. 0-200 ballistics are pretty reasonable. After 200yds, who cares? If its more than 200yds away, its probably across a gully, and down a slope, across a creek, and up another slope. I ain't shooting at it cos I ain't chasing it. And....after 200, the projectile is pretty much wasted...therefore in farming communities, (where I will be doing my work) it ain't going to carry. A 308 will go for miles and a 30/30 will probably go for a while as well.
5. Because I CAN
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by wrenchman » 19 May 2023, 9:12 am

i am a firm believer in getting what will work for you how i feel about it should have no bearing each person has a reason for what they want.
winchester makes 145 grain fmj stuff that is good for shooting and dont cost as much as the hunting stuff i have got lee dies already for reloading right now i have a few gun projects going so it is on the list but a little ways down.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bladeracer » 19 May 2023, 2:10 pm

madang55 wrote:So...why am I buying a 350 Legend.?
1. Because I can.
2. Because (Personal preference) I'm not fond of lever actions. Yes, I have used a 30/30. I do find the old big cal levers interesting, and if I could afford to I would love to play with them.
3. It is cheap to run. Reloading will present a challenge, and I do like a challenge. I will collect a sh.t load of brass and then think about it.
4. Remember the boxes?...it ticks a lot.... over 200yds it delivers some serious punch. 0-200 ballistics are pretty reasonable. After 200yds, who cares? If its more than 200yds away, its probably across a gully, and down a slope, across a creek, and up another slope. I ain't shooting at it cos I ain't chasing it. And....after 200, the projectile is pretty much wasted...therefore in farming communities, (where I will be doing my work) it ain't going to carry. A 308 will go for miles and a 30/30 will probably go for a while as well.
5. Because I CAN

Just looking at the Hornady 165gn FTX at 2200fps, the bullet can still pass 2300m if you happen to launch one into the sky - it's not to be sneezed at. In that regard it's no different to .30-30 and .308 with similar bullets. Hornady do offer the 250gn Sub-X subsonic load which would be pretty interesting.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by madang55 » 19 May 2023, 8:15 pm

So right, but the chances of my quarry being above the skyline is a bit remote. The Subs will be interesting but with the ballistics of a cement block. Will be worth a look. I will probably get some of the FTX to play with ... eventually
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 19 May 2023, 8:48 pm

madang55 wrote:So right, but the chances of my quarry being above the skyline is a bit remote. The Subs will be interesting but with the ballistics of a cement block. Will be worth a look. I will probably get some of the FTX to play with ... eventually

True, but that's also the situation if you expect a .30-30, .308 or any other bullet to travel for miles - it has to be pointed into the sky for that to be an issue regardless of the cartridge.

I found the FTX disappointing in the Marlin .44Mag so I never bothered trying them in other chamberings, though I do have them. Looking at my logbook the 265gn FTX gave me two 5rd groups with different loads of AR2205 around 300mm at 50m off the bench, scoped. Maybe just not suited to my rifle but they left a bad taste, especially considering the cost. I will one day try the 225gn FTX but I'm in no hurry. The "standard" semi-jacketed hollow-point 240's shoot well enough, or the 180gn XTP.

The .350 Legend is particularly handy if you already shoot .357Mag.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by madang55 » 20 May 2023, 1:43 am

Hmmm...357Mag....?..surely not same proj? AR2205, best option given there isn't much else available. I did have some I was loading Hornet with, but need more...LEE dies?...rather RCBS...or are people happy with LEE dies? Bit cheaper...Will try and wait for 180-150gr proj to try and match the factory stuff I'm about to play with.
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 20 May 2023, 9:20 am

madang55 wrote:Hmmm...357Mag....?..surely not same proj? AR2205, best option given there isn't much else available. I did have some I was loading Hornet with, but need more...LEE dies?...rather RCBS...or are people happy with LEE dies? Bit cheaper...Will try and wait for 180-150gr proj to try and match the factory stuff I'm about to play with.

Same bullet diameter so you can use whatever bullets you might be shooting in any other .357" chambering. I think most old-school .38/.357 levers are a relatively relaxed twist so might not handle bullets over 200gn or so. My .38 has a tighter twist so shoots 200gn jacketed fine, still haven't tried them in the .357 yet.

All my die sets are Lee. I was given a set of RCBS with an 8x57mm rifle but haven't had cause to open them.

If I had a .350 Legend one of the first things I'd try would be .38/.357 ammo :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by madang55 » 20 May 2023, 8:28 pm

bladeracer wrote:
madang55 wrote:Hmmm...357Mag....?..surely not same proj? AR2205, best option given there isn't much else available. I did have some I was loading Hornet with, but need more...LEE dies?...rather RCBS...or are people happy with LEE dies? Bit cheaper...Will try and wait for 180-150gr proj to try and match the factory stuff I'm about to play with.

Same bullet diameter so you can use whatever bullets you might be shooting in any other .357" chambering. I think most old-school .38/.357 levers are a relatively relaxed twist so might not handle bullets over 200gn or so. My .38 has a tighter twist so shoots 200gn jacketed fine, still haven't tried them in the .357 yet.

All my die sets are Lee. I was given a set of RCBS with an 8x57mm rifle but haven't had cause to open them.

If I had a .350 Legend one of the first things I'd try would be .38/.357 ammo :-)

Love yr work
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 20 May 2023, 8:40 pm

bladeracer wrote:

350 legend i believe is a rimless case while 357/38 is rimmed
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 20 May 2023, 9:03 pm

bigpete wrote:
bladeracer wrote:If I had a .350 Legend one of the first things I'd try would be .38/.357 ammo :-)

350 legend i believe is a rimless case while 357/38 is rimmed

Yes, but the rim should fit into the bolt face, and the .010" should allow the extractor to hold it in place.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 20 May 2023, 9:32 pm

I honestly don't see how
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Next