First Centrefire rifle calibre recommendations

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

First Centrefire rifle calibre recommendations

Post by adlerisgarbage » 03 May 2023, 12:06 pm

Hey everyone, firstly i will give you my background,

I have a lot of experience in shotguns and shooting skeet targets. I am wanting to get into deer hunting, I have used shotguns to hunt smaller game but when it comes to deer I don't want to cause any suffering. From the areas I have to hunt, it will most likely be shots within 150 yards on deer. I also have some limited experience with the .22 lr.

I have been told that anything over .223 is difficult for beginners due to the high recoil, that being said I am used to shooting 32 gram loads in a shotgun, so that shouldn't be a problem?

The rifle i am looking into getting is the Tikka t3x due to it's availability in left-handed. If anyone has any other brands that comes stock in left handed, please let me know.

But the main part of my question:

I am deciding between the 3 following calibers:

204:
Appeals to me because of the high velocity and low recoil but rounds are expensive and there are contradictory reports on whether it is appropriate for deer (even small ones).

223:
A good all rounder with cheap ammunition but it seems a bit pointless (excluding cost) considering it's still not recommended for deer.

243:
This is the one I'm most strongly considering due to it being the smallest calibre recommended for deer, although the ammunition seems quite expensive. The other main worry I have is recoil. Will recoil on a 243 be an issue if I'm used to a 12 gauge?

If there are any other calibres you recommend please let me know.

Thanks In advanced :D
adlerisgarbage
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Re: First Centrefire rifle calibre recommendations

Post by geoff » 03 May 2023, 12:24 pm

Realistically if it's just for deer the 308 might be a decent option

I shoot a heck of a lot of 243 and a reasonable amount of 12g, not as much as you. I would rather hang onto the 243 for 100 rounds if it came down to it, very mild recoil

The advantage of the 243 is the versatility - you can run 55 grain projies or 100 trainers which are more suited to deer. The 243 is an exceptional calibre for Australian hunting and really fills a good capability gap between 223 and 308 if you're only going to have one rifle.

Discard the 204 for deer. 223 can get it done if you're picky with what shots you'll take and you can execute that shot precisely....the 243 isn't exactly a massive stag stopper but the 100 grain soft points are more than effective in most circumstances
geoff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 03 May 2023, 12:26 pm

Do you already have access to deer property in SA? If not you might find it easier to come over to Victoria to hunt state forest until you have made contacts in SA, thus you'll need to be deer legal here. .243" is the minimum bullet diameter (not cartridge) for deer in Victoria, but .270" is minimum for the larger sambar and red.

Are you going to be loading your own ammo? If not then I would stick with the .308Win. If you are loading your own I would suggest 7mm-08. .270Win is also a good choice but requires a long-action and is limited in bullet weights.

For me, 12ga. recoil is in the same realm as .308, .303,.30-06, 8x57mm, etc. If you have no issue with shooting a round of clays with 12ga. you don't need to worry about recoil, in my opinion. .204 has virtually zero recoil. .223 with heavy 80gn bullets does have noticeable recoil, but really nothing to speak about. .243 with 90gn+ bullets also has recoil, but it's still fairly mild. 7mm-08 and .308 with similar bullet weights have similar recoil, definitely noticeable but very tolerable for most people. Probably not an ideal starter for somebody that's only spent time on .22LR but for a shotgunner I doubt you'll have any recoil issue.

Is there a rifle club near you? If there is, go along on a day when they're open and have a look at what people are shooting. Talk to the RO and I would be very surprised if he can't find you somebody happy to let you have a shot.

As for left-handed, if you can handle it I would suggest trying a right-handed rifle first before ruling them out. It's easier to buy or sell, and easier to borrow or lend. But some people simply can't make the adjustment so you may have to go left-handed. Another option is lever-action, like the BLR, if you can find one. It's a rotary-bolt and box magazine so is not as limited as conventional lever-action rifles.

adlerisgarbage wrote:Hey everyone, firstly i will give you my background,

I have a lot of experience in shotguns and shooting skeet targets. I am wanting to get into deer hunting, I have used shotguns to hunt smaller game but when it comes to deer I don't want to cause any suffering. From the areas I have to hunt, it will most likely be shots within 150 yards on deer. I also have some limited experience with the .22 lr.

I have been told that anything over .223 is difficult for beginners due to the high recoil, that being said I am used to shooting 32 gram loads in a shotgun, so that shouldn't be a problem?

The rifle i am looking into getting is the Tikka t3x due to it's availability in left-handed. If anyone has any other brands that comes stock in left handed, please let me know.

204:
Appeals to me because of the high velocity and low recoil but rounds are expensive and there are contradictory reports on whether it is appropriate for deer (even small ones).

223:
A good all rounder with cheap ammunition but it seems a bit pointless (excluding cost) considering it's still not recommended for deer.

243:
This is the one I'm most strongly considering due to it being the smallest calibre recommended for deer, although the ammunition seems quite expensive. The other main worry I have is recoil. Will recoil on a 243 be an issue if I'm used to a 12 gauge?

Last edited by bladeracer on 03 May 2023, 12:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 03 May 2023, 12:28 pm

Your shooting a 12g. You will be ok for deer rifle recoil.

In SA, mainly Fallow i guess.
But I'll assume you may do a trip to Vic one day for sambar. Therefore:
308 enough for sambar, not too much for fallow.
30.06 or similar
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 03 May 2023, 12:30 pm

G'day mate,
Recoil in any calibre won't worry a shotgunner, I would suggest a 308 for all around versatility, wide choice of rifles including left hand actions, very wide choice of factory loaded ammo in loads suitable for every type of game in Australia. Go to your closest range and talk to people, tell them you are considering deer hunting and ask if they will let you look at, and shoot their rifles. Most people I've met over the years are quite approachable about this. Best of luck.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 03 May 2023, 2:25 pm

Shame about the "for deer" requirement, because the 223 will do it all and is just a sublime caliber to work with. I just jove the intermidiary calibers for target shooting, on so many fronts. Nevertheless No1Mk3 is on the money with his 308 recomendation for dropping sambar.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by CRF » 03 May 2023, 2:43 pm

I’ve shot guns up to 416, the one that stands out in my mind was a Steyr model L in 243, that thing seemed to focus its recoil into an area the size of a pin head!

My shoulder is more sore after a duck shoot than a hunt with a deer calibre. And if you’re thinking about recoil when you pull the trigger you shouldn’t be pulling the trigger.
CRF
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 03 May 2023, 7:22 pm

You are on the right track if you are a lefty and you want a Tikka but Ruger also looks after you as well. The 204 is a great Varmint case and I have used one on reasonably large goats. The obvious choice is a 223 for the new shooter which is handy for all sorts of small game. The real sticking point is hunting for Deer and the legality of the case, as said above you probably need to look at a 270 or bigger if you want to cover your bases.
Last edited by SCJ429 on 03 May 2023, 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 03 May 2023, 8:01 pm

Id be thinking stress less about the recoil and concentrate on its suitability for field use Suggesting a 204 shows lack of knowledge regarding suitable calibre for deer hunting but theres nothingwrong with that thats what we are here for .. you display a strong willingness too learn to make sure you get it right , and u display a strong concern for humane hunting so 10/10 for that attitude... id be thinking 308 or 270 ... both can be loaded up Or down Pracitice initially with lighter loads will be not harsh on your body
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 03 May 2023, 8:11 pm

When i shoot 90 grainers in my 270 it feels like a 243 recoil
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Larry » 04 May 2023, 8:27 am

Just go with the 308 the recoil will be milder than the shotgun. The guns you listed are not really suitable for deer esp the 204 this is just not the rifle for that purpose.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by bigrich » 04 May 2023, 8:30 am

adlerisgarbage wrote:Hey everyone, firstly i will give you my background,

204:

223:

243:

the species of deer you intend to hunt, and their body weight is a relevant factor . out of your listed choices , 243 is the minimum deer/pig cartridge for me . my own rifles are 6.5x55 handloaded, or handloaded 30-06 for more than adeqate energy at any reasonable range, on almost any game . your preffered choice of a tikka t3 is a great one . the synthetics are light weight however, and can add to recoil . a stainless laminate tikka in 308 would do 95% of what you may encounter , the weight of the laminate stock will help tame recoil , and off the shelf ammo availability is a definate plus . a limbsaver recoil pad replacement makes a big difference to felt recoil i'm told . as others have said , get along to a range and try some calibers if you can. just remember though, you will feel more recoil shooting off a bench as opposed to standing and shooting offhand . hope this helps . :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by JohnV » 04 May 2023, 11:29 am

If you live in SA then there is a big chance you will hunt deer in Vic one day so a 243 is limiting you .
Tikka t3 in 7mm-08 or 308W sounds about right to me . Covers all the bases .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by d4n73n » 04 May 2023, 11:30 pm

I'd say go for a 308, the recoil shouldn't be an issue, but if it is then start off with a 223 and then work your way up. Ideally you shouldn't be shooting deer with a 223.
d4n73n
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Johnat21 » 10 Jul 2023, 6:09 pm

All of my previous experience in the UK was shotguns, Ive just got the Tikka T3X Hunter in S/S 270Win, the recoil, compared to a shotgun is negligible...
Tikka T3X Hunter S/S 270win
Savage A22R Pro Varmint 22wmr
Johnat21
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by animalpest » 10 Jul 2023, 8:50 pm

Recoil with a shottie can seem lighter because you can get away with snatching the trigger and flinching more than you can with a rifle. Try shooting a one inch group with a shotgun off the bench and see how you go :sarcasm:
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Jul 2023, 10:22 pm

Larry wrote:Just go with the 308 the recoil will be milder than the shotgun. The guns you listed are not really suitable for deer esp the 204 this is just not the rifle for that purpose.

This. ^^^
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by northdude » 11 Jul 2023, 8:24 am

Im running a t3 lefty in 6.5x55. This is in nz and I handload. Seems the ideal all round call to me.
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by gravel » 11 Jul 2023, 6:26 pm

308+1. Was my first center-fire (oh so many moons ago) and still my favorite. Arguably not sexy, but ubiquitous. Just ignore the 6.5 creed crew. ;)
It's hard for me to act my age, I've never been this old before.
gravel
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by AlHow » 14 Jul 2023, 9:32 pm

.308 was my first rifle. Brilliant choice. It does not kick like a 12G. Cheap ammo and will do most game.

I bought a lefty in a Ruger M77 mk2 30-06. Still doesn’t kick like a 12g The .308 being a righty may have to go!
Attachments
ECAFCD52-DCC9-4E62-8662-918A31302236.jpeg
ECAFCD52-DCC9-4E62-8662-918A31302236.jpeg (703.96 KiB) Viewed 1823 times
AlHow
Private
Private

-

Return to Centerfire rifles