Benelli Lupo

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Benelli Lupo

Post by Shootermick » 02 Jul 2023, 7:13 pm

https://sportingshooter.com.au/rifles/r ... lpha-wolf/

Anyone seen one of these?
They definitely look the goods. Not stupidity expensive, slightly lighter than a Lithgow. And just a bit different.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Re: Benelli Lupo

Post by JohnV » 04 Jul 2023, 5:34 pm

No I have never seen one but after a quick read I am concerned about this , The barrel is threaded (5/8×24 TPI). 5/8 ! . That has to be a misprint as it is also chambered in a 300 WM . That would make the chamber wall dangerously thin . Also it states it has a " two piece receiver " ? I would want to see one in the flesh first and give it a good examination to see how it's constructed before I would buy it . Just because they made great shotguns does not mean they can make a good rifle first time around .
I don't even like Lithgow's but I think it would be the better choice of the two .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Shootermick » 04 Jul 2023, 6:40 pm

JohnV wrote:No I have never seen one but after a quick read I am concerned about this , The barrel is threaded (5/8×24 TPI). 5/8 ! . That has to be a misprint as it is also chambered in a 300 WM . That would make the chamber wall dangerously thin . Also it states it has a " two piece receiver " ? I would want to see one in the flesh first and give it a good examination to see how it's constructed before I would buy it . Just because they made great shotguns does not mean they can make a good rifle first time around .
I don't even like Lithgow's but I think it would be the better choice of the two .

Yep, definitely needs some looking at.
Side note, what do you dislike about the Lithgows?
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 05 Jul 2023, 9:09 am

I didn't like the front stock didn't feel right.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by straightshooter » 05 Jul 2023, 4:04 pm

JohnV wrote:No I have never seen one but after a quick read I am concerned about this , The barrel is threaded (5/8×24 TPI). 5/8 ! . That has to be a misprint as it is also chambered in a 300 WM . That would make the chamber wall dangerously thin . Also it states it has a " two piece receiver " ? I would want to see one in the flesh first and give it a good examination to see how it's constructed before I would buy it . Just because they made great shotguns does not mean they can make a good rifle first time around .

A 5/8×24 TPI thread suggests that it is not the barrel tenon, if it has one, but the muzzle that is threaded for a muzzle attachment.
Likely to fit one of the 'must have' accoutrements for younger shooters who have been educated on the ways of shooting via youtube bombast.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 05 Jul 2023, 5:42 pm

They mean the muzzle is threaded, 5/8"-24tpi is standard for .30-cal bores.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 05 Jul 2023, 6:25 pm

They have been getting some good reviews in the US for accuracy and comfort. Sub-MOA guarantee out of the box, but like all advertising I suspect that is likely to be with match ammo not hunting ammo. As for a 2 piece receiver, it works for the AR, as well as a number of other rifles and development of the Benelli includes Beretta engineers, add to that this is certainly not Benelli's first foray into rifles as they have been making semi-auto 223 and 308 rifles for decades as well as pistols, and designed and trialled a sub'machine gun using semi-caseless ammo in conjunction with Fiocchi
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 05 Jul 2023, 6:39 pm

I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 05 Jul 2023, 6:55 pm

I’d really like to have a look at one, none at my local shop though. But I’m also keen to hang out and see what the new Lithgows look like. I’ve heard anything about the Lithgow release date from the end of this year, to 8 months away. For the record I’m after a 243.
The Benelli does read to be fairly long though, which doesn’t always suit my style of shooting out of the window of the ute.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 06 Jul 2023, 1:25 pm

straightshooter wrote:

A 5/8×24 TPI thread suggests that it is not the barrel tenon, if it has one, but the muzzle that is threaded for a muzzle attachment.
Likely to fit one of the 'must have' accoutrements for younger shooters who have been educated on the ways of shooting via youtube bombast.
That makes more sense . I must have read it wrong .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by JohnV » 06 Jul 2023, 1:30 pm

Shootermick wrote:

Yep, definitely needs some looking at.
Side note, what do you dislike about the Lithgows?

Not a fan of the Soviet stock look and the big ugly flats on the action with the chinsey lettering . Not my idea of an attractive gun .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Return to Centerfire rifles