6BR load development

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

6BR load development

Post by Tilb004 » 06 Jul 2023, 12:22 pm

Hi Guys
Recently had a rifle rebarreled to a 6br , its a 24" 1 in 8 twist .

I have got 87 vmax,90 hornady eldx and 105 berger vld hunting projectile.

Doe's anyone have a 6br that would be willing to share some load data.

Going to use 2208

Starting charge would be great then i can increase accordingly
TIA

Tilbs
Tilb004
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Re: 6BR load development

Post by No1_49er » 06 Jul 2023, 12:29 pm

Go here. https://www.6mmbr.com/6mmbr.html There's a "truck load" of info there.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by JohnV » 06 Jul 2023, 1:23 pm

No1_49er wrote:Go here. https://www.6mmbr.com/6mmbr.html There's a "truck load" of info there.

You beat me too it , that's a good place to start .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Tilb004 » 06 Jul 2023, 2:16 pm

No1_49er wrote:Go here. https://www.6mmbr.com/6mmbr.html There's a "truck load" of info there.

Cheers no1 will have a good gander :thumbsup:
Tilb004
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Tilb004 » 06 Jul 2023, 2:17 pm

JohnV wrote:

You beat me too it , that's a good place to start .

Cheers for reply john :thumbsup:
Tilb004
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 06 Jul 2023, 8:30 pm

I have shot a lot of 105 and 90 grain Berger's from my 6mmBRs. Very forgiving case, fill her up with 2208 and shoot bug holes. For 105s you will probably end up a little over 31 grains and for 90s at middle to high 31 grain range. Of course my set up may be different to yours, I have a tight match chamber, I jam my projectiles into the lands. i neck turn Lapua cases and use CCI BR primers.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by JohnV » 07 Jul 2023, 11:06 pm

SCJ429 wrote:I have shot a lot of 105 and 90 grain Berger's from my 6mmBRs. Very forgiving case, fill her up with 2208 and shoot bug holes. For 105s you will probably end up a little over 31 grains and for 90s at middle to high 31 grain range. Of course my set up may be different to yours, I have a tight match chamber, I jam my projectiles into the lands. i neck turn Lapua cases and use CCI BR primers.
He can still neck turn even if it's a standard neck chamber and get some benefit . You just have to know how to do it for a factory chamber as opposed to a tight neck chamber like yours . I have been using skim neck turning and partial neck sizing for some cartridges for decades and it does give a bit extra accuracy when you have tuned up everything else on the gun and looking for the best tuned ammo . I agree for a hunting rifle it's not a good idea to jam the projectile into the lands , better to just touch the lands because then you can extract an unfired round without risking pulling the projectile out .
This is how I partial neck size some of my cartridges and once you fire form them the first shot , then the slight second centering shoulder stays unsized , untouched , for the life of the case . This is achieved by using a body die and a separate neck sizing die . This is how you claim back the neck thickness after skim neck turning and have a more precision neck wall thickness . This is only for a bolt action and gentle feeding .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Tilb004 » 08 Jul 2023, 11:05 pm

SCJ429 wrote:I have shot a lot of 105 and 90 grain Berger's from my 6mmBRs. Very forgiving case, fill her up with 2208 and shoot bug holes. For 105s you will probably end up a little over 31 grains and for 90s at middle to high 31 grain range. Of course my set up may be different to yours, I have a tight match chamber, I jam my projectiles into the lands. i neck turn Lapua cases and use CCI BR primers.

Hi SCJ
Thanks for reply
The barrel is a new match grade maddco and has been turned to factory size brass .
I will neck turn to take high spots out .
I usually have 20 though jump to lands but I heard Bergers like to be very close .
Struggling to get primers here in wa but managed to pick up 200 cci 450 magnum primers. Do I need to drop powder charge with magnums.
What charge do you recommend for 105 also will starting charge be enough to run barrel in .
Always debates wether to run barrel in or just shoot it as normal.
Cheers Tilbs
Tilb004
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Tilb004 » 08 Jul 2023, 11:12 pm

JohnV wrote:
He can still neck turn even if it's a standard neck chamber and get some benefit . You just have to know how to do it for a factory chamber as opposed to a tight neck chamber like yours . I have been using skim neck turning and partial neck sizing for some cartridges for decades and it does give a bit extra accuracy when you have tuned up everything else on the gun and looking for the best tuned ammo . I agree for a hunting rifle it's not a good idea to jam the projectile into the lands , better to just touch the lands because then you can extract an unfired round without risking pulling the projectile out .
This is how I partial neck size some of my cartridges and once you fire form them the first shot , then the slight second centering shoulder stays unsized , untouched , for the life of the case . This is achieved by using a body die and a separate neck sizing die . This is how you claim back the neck thickness after skim neck turning and have a more precision neck wall thickness . This is only for a bolt action and gentle feeding .

Hi John

Thanks for reply.
This is my first 6br and are looking forward to the load development.
Because brass and primers are scarce I’ve got 200 cci 450 magnum.
I can get 1000 rws primers but never used them before, do you know if they are any good .
I did hear most of them come out of the same factory.
I’ve only use cci in my 22-250 and 243.
Cheers
Tilbs
Tilb004
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 09 Jul 2023, 4:36 pm

I have used 450 Magnum primers, same cup thickness as the BR primer. Just do a ladder test until you cannot fit anymore powder in the case, even using a drop tube and lots of tapping you should be fine with 2208. I have never noticed Magnum primers give me any more pressure or speed, in other cases they can improve the ES. Not every time and for the BR case I find the CCI BR primers give me the best results. You have to see what works for you.
The best barrel I ever had was a Maddco. I hope yours is awesome too. Just a dozen rounds should settle the barrel in, it doubt it will have much copper fouling for you to clean out. Full power loads are fine. Then do your ladder test to see what she likes and tune from there. As I said before, you will probably end up at about 31 grains for your 105s. I have never used a Berger hunting bullet, only match bullets and their shape and bearing surface may be slightly different.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 09 Jul 2023, 4:46 pm

Oh, and don't coat your bullets with anything especially Moly.... No matter what cool photos John shows you.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Tilb004 » 09 Jul 2023, 8:42 pm

SCJ429 wrote:I have used 450 Magnum primers, same cup thickness as the BR primer. Just do a ladder test until you cannot fit anymore powder in the case, even using a drop tube and lots of tapping you should be fine with 2208. I have never noticed Magnum primers give me any more pressure or speed, in other cases they can improve the ES. Not every time and for the BR case I find the CCI BR primers give me the best results. You have to see what works for you.
The best barrel I ever had was a Maddco. I hope yours is awesome too. Just a dozen rounds should settle the barrel in, it doubt it will have much copper fouling for you to clean out. Full power loads are fine. Then do your ladder test to see what she likes and tune from there. As I said before, you will probably end up at about 31 grains for your 105s. I have never used a Berger hunting bullet, only match bullets and their shape and bearing surface may be slightly different.

Will take all that great info on board SC , I’m at work at the moment and can’t wait to get home and do some load development.
Foxes are going to be in trouble haha.
105 is bit of overkill but will be good fun , also got 87 vmax and 90 eldx that have been using in the 243.
The 90’s fairly rip them apart.
Cheers
Tilbs
Tilb004
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by No1_49er » 10 Jul 2023, 6:39 am

SCJ429 wrote:Oh, and don't coat your bullets with anything especially Moly.... No matter what cool photos John shows you.

Perhaps you will be good enough to explain your objection to moly coated bullets?
Lapua and Norma both make and sell large quantities of moly coated (and naked) factory loadings to competition shooters. There must be some merit to it.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 10 Jul 2023, 7:08 pm

You need to do your own research regarding coated bullets but the best indication is go to a National Competition and see how many guys use Moly, and that will be none.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by JohnV » 11 Jul 2023, 9:42 am

SCJ429 wrote:Oh, and don't coat your bullets with anything especially Moly.... No matter what cool photos John shows you.

If you are going to put down others then you should have reasons for that comment . I will bet your statement is based on incorrect information . Although if he is going to clean very regularly and can't change that as most BR target shooters do then I agree to not use moly .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by JohnV » 11 Jul 2023, 9:48 am

SCJ429 wrote:You need to do your own research regarding coated bullets but the best indication is go to a National Competition and see how many guys use Moly, and that will be none.

That is correct because they can not change their cleaning routines and that negates the benefits . However that is irrelevant to the other ways to use Moly .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Return to Centerfire rifles