Lithgow LA101 CrossOver

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Lithgow LA101 CrossOver

Post by wade06 » 30 Sep 2016, 10:48 pm

Nice catman :)
Walnut Lithgow La101 .22LR - Vortex Diamondback HP 3-12x42
Tikka T3 Lite .243W - Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x42
wade06
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 23 Dec 2016, 6:57 pm

Just got my Crossover back from the gunsmith, the screw holding the trigger assembly was jammed up good and required extraction.

While he was there I had him replace the trigger and sear springs.

Wow what a difference.. did a couple of dryfires and so much lighter, I don't have a gauge but it's very light..

Can't wait to get it back to the range.
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by rsj223 » 23 Dec 2016, 8:34 pm

Cant wait to see report now.
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Wylie27 » 23 Dec 2016, 9:08 pm

Won't be until the new year.. but yes there will be a report..
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by rsj223 » 23 Dec 2016, 9:27 pm

I can wait Merry Christmas.
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Buddy77 » 26 Jan 2017, 11:18 pm

Hi Guys,

When i first heard about the Lithgow LA101 my eyes glazed over at the thought of owning something that looked sexy BUT!

Im very concerned with the feed back owners are giving with the amount of use the rifles are getting.

There is a very upset person on "nzrimfire"

Is it possible there has been an entire upgrade of the firearm ? or are we talking if i had to spend the money just buy a CZ ?
Buddy77
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Post by allan » 28 Jan 2017, 10:54 am

Buddy77 wrote:Is it possible there has been an entire upgrade of the firearm ? or are we talking if i had to spend the money just buy a CZ ?

When buying a fire arm (or anything else), do your research and purchase what YOU want.
I've read some flak re the LA101 - Some of it justified.
I own two - an earlier version with a couple of feed & ejection issues which were easily resolved. I did a build on that rifle which has turned out to perhaps the most accurate rim fire sporter I've ever owned.
The second, bought a few months ago, is simply flawless. I've cleaned it and shot it and the accuracy is close to a 54 Anschutz.
I don't make those comments lightly as I've owned/own some of the best production 22's offered over the past half century.
Any production gun, regardless of make, MAY arrive NIB ready to roll. Perhaps I'm unlucky (or too fussy) but virtually EVERY new gun I've ever bought required some fine tuning.
allan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Other

Post by wade06 » 28 Jan 2017, 11:47 am

Buddy77 wrote:Hi Guys,

When i first heard about the Lithgow LA101 my eyes glazed over at the thought of owning something that looked sexy BUT!

Im very concerned with the feed back owners are giving with the amount of use the rifles are getting.

There is a very upset person on "nzrimfire"

Is it possible there has been an entire upgrade of the firearm ? or are we talking if i had to spend the money just buy a CZ ?

I have put about 700 rounds through my LA101 and love it. It consistently shoots 10mm groups at 50m with cheap $5 CCI ammo. I'm certain that the right high end ammo would be even better.

I have had maybe 3 stovepipes in the magazine but these may have been my fault when loading... ie, the rim of the lower round was in front of the upper... noticed that on the last one.

The trigger is a touch heavy for target shooting, the weight is a touch high for a hunting rifle but it is a cross over.
Walnut Lithgow La101 .22LR - Vortex Diamondback HP 3-12x42
Tikka T3 Lite .243W - Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x42
wade06
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Wm.Traynor » 28 Jan 2017, 7:45 pm

Buddy77 wrote:Hi Guys,

or are we talking if i had to spend the money just buy a CZ ?

FWIW, I am very happy with my CZ455. Look up my posts for a report. But other people are happy with their JW15 for Waaaay less money but be aware that both need work IMO. But with luck being what it is, you could go Chinese and need no work at all. Or it could be a dud: who would know?

Always, at the back of your mind, there is the suspicion that you will spend-up-big, only to find that someone has spent a quarter of that on something that shoots rings around yours :cry: And buying a CZ is no guarantee of happiness as reports on www.RimfireCentral.com/forums will reveal to you.

So what should you do? IMO, for your Long Term happiness, I think you should learn to fettle your own guns but that is a Long Journey. That will mean giving up on short term satisfaction unless you have the coin for an Anschutz. I did not but with My Cz, I was lucky after some fettling, which after 50 years of tinkering, I am qualified to do :)
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 28 Jan 2017, 10:54 pm

allan wrote:
Buddy77 wrote:Is it possible there has been an entire upgrade of the firearm ? or are we talking if i had to spend the money just buy a CZ ?

When buying a fire arm (or anything else), do your research and purchase what YOU want.
I've read some flak re the LA101 - Some of it justified.
I own two - an earlier version with a couple of feed & ejection issues which were easily resolved. I did a build on that rifle which has turned out to perhaps the most accurate rim fire sporter I've ever owned.
The second, bought a few months ago, is simply flawless. I've cleaned it and shot it and the accuracy is close to a 54 Anschutz.
I don't make those comments lightly as I've owned/own some of the best production 22's offered over the past half century.
Any production gun, regardless of make, MAY arrive NIB ready to roll. Perhaps I'm unlucky (or too fussy) but virtually EVERY new gun I've ever bought required some fine tuning.

never has truer words been spoken . I wanted one of these ever since they came out , but I would never buy anything new

no matter how much I want it that go's for anything boats cars fishing reels and of course fire arms , and I am glad I waited

I have a nice LA 101 and it now feeds anything I feed it and just like a CZ it needs a trigger job .

the only rimfire rifle that I ever bought that only needed adjustment and a very simple spring replacement was a Anschutz's

1517DHB . and this rifle will soon get it's trigger done . it is as accurate as any cz that I have had (3 of) and that is with a trigger

that is way to heavy for me.

I think that as this mob are spruking that the crossover is a target come hunting rifle they should offer an option for an adjustable

trigger from 6oz to 20oz even if it was $400 extra I would have gladly paid it .

IMG_3699 (Medium).JPG
IMG_3699 (Medium).JPG (106.18 KiB) Viewed 7111 times
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Buddy77 » 29 Jan 2017, 12:48 am

Just to be clear i wasnt trying to bash the Lithgow id still really like to own one just gathering info
Buddy77
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Post by deye243 » 29 Jan 2017, 1:13 am

Buddy77 wrote:Just to be clear i wasnt trying to bash the Lithgow id still really like to own one just gathering info

it didn't seem like that to me but I haven't read the hole 16 pages

I will say this and I own one they ought to be shot for putting a trigger like the one on mine on a rifle of this quality .

everything else is 1st class stock action barrel just run a patch down one it is nearly as good as the maddco's I have

had .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by rsj223 » 29 Jan 2017, 12:15 pm

After all my problems I would still buy another one because there is more good than bad and for ME it fits great.
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 29 Jan 2017, 2:02 pm

rsj223 wrote:After all my problems I would still buy another one because there is more good than bad and for ME it fits great.

yesterday I had to tweek the mag to get it as good as the CZ ones the follower had to be bent inbetween what allan does and factory spec
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 29 Jan 2017, 6:31 pm

deye243 wrote:yesterday I had to tweek the mag to get it as good as the CZ ones the follower had to be bent inbetween what allan does and factory spec

I did this and ended up in a death spiral - it seems like a very finicky thing to get right. But then Lithgow outright replaced it without question (once I contacted them); I haven't looked back since (about 1000 rounds ago). I'm back on my 10-shot cz now though, so the new factory mag is back to the safe to collect dust (till the next hunting trip).

I like the 5-shot factory mag for trekking because it sits flush when the rifle is slung across your back, unlike the 10-shot which pokes out. That's why I think you need two - keep the 10-shot for plinking at the range.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 29 Jan 2017, 8:12 pm

I use the 6 shots out the window as the rifle sits across my lap muzzle out the window and they don't

catch on anything as I get ready to shoot .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by safeshot » 11 Feb 2017, 5:43 pm

I would like to see the 10 shot that Lithgow have been promising since whenever.
I modified two CZ plastic mags by building up the underside of the mag lug that secures the mag in to raise the mag about .5 mm. Then I have very few feed probs with solids but HP are a no no. The original 5 needed the same.
"Behave well. Think for the best. Speak kindly."
safeshot
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by in2anity » 11 Feb 2017, 9:41 pm

safeshot wrote:I would like to see the 10 shot that Lithgow have been promising since whenever.
I modified two CZ plastic mags by building up the underside of the mag lug that secures the mag in to raise the mag about .5 mm. Then I have very few feed probs with solids but HP are a no no. The original 5 needed the same.

Did you have feed problems with unmodified CZ mags?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 12 Feb 2017, 7:32 am

Safeshot,

I had to remove material from the CZ mag lug to get it to work on my LA101.

I had to removal material off my original mag too, off the top of the magazine to prevent it from being hit by the bolt and causing the magazine to change angles.

Still it's hit every bunny I have shot at lol
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 06 Jun 2017, 6:43 am

22plinkster just did a review of the LA101. He said that it is the best bolt gun he has ever owned.

https://www.full30.com/video/f7e42e79ad ... 94f48bad76
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 06 Jun 2017, 8:28 am

After 12 months I'm extremely happy with mine - I've put close to 3000 rounds through her now and accuracy has definitely improved; she can hold about 0.4" at 50m (indoor, cheap match ammo). Though I must admit I did put Lumley springs in her, and it's hard going back and shooting my mate's (which still has the factory springs). Also I should mention, Lithgow replaced my factory mag which 100% resolved the feed issue. Mine is an early 2016 built rifle.

Unfortunately my mate's la101 has the same stove-piping issue, and it also has a sloppy extractor (Lithgow are keen to do the warranty job on it but he is reluctant to give up his baby). Actually I think he got the lemon that kept coming back to the LGS as I feel I recognised the 2015-built serial number, and it was weirdly available back when they were stacked up on back-order. If I were buying one now, I'd only get a recently built one; perhaps a late 2016 or 2017 build.

I use mine mainly for sporting-rifle rimfire silhouette - and honestly I feel I'm at an unfair advantage! The rounds always land precisely where she was pointed and has absolutely no issues knocking down those rams out at 100m (provided you do your part!)
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Dunxy » 06 Aug 2017, 12:09 pm

in2anity wrote:AI recognised the 2015-built serial number, and it was weirdly available back when they were stacked up on back-order. If I were buying one now, I'd only get a recently built one; perhaps a late 2016 or 2017 build.)

Hmm, I just bought one, I knew of stovepipe issue but i thought i was more to do with CZ mags than the factory ones.
I haven't picked it up as its my first and waiting for PTA so i haven't shot it yet.

Can you give me an idea of manufacturing date from a partial serial? 52049** its a laminate with black barrel, hope its a recent production.

Cheers
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by allan » 06 Aug 2017, 6:25 pm

Dunxy wrote:Can you give me an idea of manufacturing date from a partial serial? 52049** its a laminate with black barrel, hope its a recent production.
Cheers

Laminated/Titanium 15Z2XXX bought 02.10.15
Walnut/Black 16Z4XXX bought 28.09.16

Had to tweak the feed & ejection on the first one - Both 22LR - Second one simply flawless :)
allan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Other

Post by in2anity » 13 Aug 2017, 12:24 pm

Dunxy wrote:
in2anity wrote:AI recognised the 2015-built serial number, and it was weirdly available back when they were stacked up on back-order. If I were buying one now, I'd only get a recently built one; perhaps a late 2016 or 2017 build.)

Hmm, I just bought one, I knew of stovepipe issue but i thought i was more to do with CZ mags than the factory ones.
I haven't picked it up as its my first and waiting for PTA so i haven't shot it yet.

Can you give me an idea of manufacturing date from a partial serial? 52049** its a laminate with black barrel, hope its a recent production.

Cheers

As stated, the first two digits are normally the year the rifle was built - I'm not sure where you got 52...? where exactly did you get that number?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Dunxy » 13 Aug 2017, 1:07 pm

in2anity wrote:
As stated, the first two digits are normally the year the rifle was built - I'm not sure where you got 52...? where exactly did you get that number?

I don't actually have the rifle as awaiting PTA, im getting the serial from picture i took when i bought it, they have serial on the tag.However its not the clearest! I think the first digit is missing.On looking now i got it pretty wrong first time! I think second visible may be a Z Im guessing it may be 2016, first missing digit a 1, first visible a 6?
See what you can make of it!
web img

Edit:Thought id check my receipt,low and behold they put serial on there. 16z04991 so 2016 she is!
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 13 Aug 2017, 3:45 pm

Dunxy wrote:
in2anity wrote:

I don't actually have the rifle as awaiting PTA, im getting the serial from picture i took when i bought it, they have serial on the tag.However its not the clearest! I think the first digit is missing.On looking now i got it pretty wrong first time! I think second visible may be a Z Im guessing it may be 2016, first missing digit a 1, first visible a 6?
See what you can make of it!
web img

Edit:Thought id check my receipt,low and behold they put serial on there. 16z04991 so 2016 she is!

16 built is good! If you happen to have any feeding issues don't stress because it's likely only a magazine problem and you have a few options; a) send the magazine back to Lithgow in the mail (but register the warranty claim online first) and they'll mail you back a replacement free of charge. They are very helpful. b) pick yourself up a CZ magazine in the interim; they work perfectly in the LA101.. Actually IMO the 5-shot poly CZ mags are the best, the steel ones tend to rust. And the 5-shot is ideal because it sits flush with the bottom of the rifle, right where you balance the rifle for standing offhand.

Mine's shooting like a dream now; without a doubt my favorite rifle. You can really feel the Austrian influence in them; weird looking things, but they're more like a target rifle than a hunting rifle and for the purpose they are designed perfectly.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Dunxy » 13 Aug 2017, 4:03 pm

in2anity wrote:16 built is good! If you happen to have any feeding issues don't stress because it's likely only a magazine problem and you have a few options; a) send the magazine back to Lithgow in the mail (but register the warranty claim online first) and they'll mail you back a replacement free of charge. They are very helpful. b) pick yourself up a CZ magazine in the interim; they work perfectly in the LA101.. Actually IMO the 5-shot poly CZ mags are the best, the steel ones tend to rust. And the 5-shot is ideal because it sits flush with the bottom of the rifle, right where you balance the rifle for standing offhand.

Mine's shooting like a dream now; without a doubt my favorite rifle. You can really feel the Austrian influence in them; weird looking things, but they're more like a target rifle than a hunting rifle and for the purpose they are designed perfectly.

Thanks for the info re warranty,good stuff!
Mag info is greatly appreciated as well.I was eying of metal cz mags.Have you tried any ten round mags or even that evil 25 round "assault" mag? Was thinking of extra cap options just for the range, 5 is more than enough for hunting and i agree, i do like the flush fit better myself.

They are a strange beast! I really wanted a more traditional "hunting" pattern 22, like a Brno or CZ.But given that the Brno i had lined up fell through and i will spend most of my time shooting paper and steel a rifle that leans towards the target side of things makes more sense. Don't get me wrong, i am a hunter, but its not my main goal in shooting. Im working my way towards LRPS ;)

Cant wait for stupid 28 day period to finish! So silly when you look at the time it takes prior to getting your PTA, as if another 28 days is needed after months to get to this stage!
Before anybody looks at price and thinks it was $20, I WISH, there's a couple of ones (that didn't show in picture) in-front! Some say they are expensive/overpriced but considering i have more money in my favorite ultra light spinning outfit so by comparison I consider it great value!
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 13 Aug 2017, 4:24 pm

Dunxy wrote:
in2anity wrote:16 built is good! If you happen to have any feeding issues don't stress because it's likely only a magazine problem and you have a few options; a) send the magazine back to Lithgow in the mail (but register the warranty claim online first) and they'll mail you back a replacement free of charge. They are very helpful. b) pick yourself up a CZ magazine in the interim; they work perfectly in the LA101.. Actually IMO the 5-shot poly CZ mags are the best, the steel ones tend to rust. And the 5-shot is ideal because it sits flush with the bottom of the rifle, right where you balance the rifle for standing offhand.

Thanks for the info re warranty,good stuff!
Mag info is greatly appreciated as well.I was eying of metal cz mags.Have you tried any ten round mags or even that evil 25 round "assault" mag? Was thinking of extra cap options just for the range, 5 is more than enough for hunting and i agree, i do like the flush fit better myself.

They are a strange beast! I really wanted a more traditional "hunting" pattern 22, like a Brno or CZ.But given that the Brno i had lined up fell through and i will spend most of my time shooting paper and steel a rifle that leans towards the target side of things makes more sense. Don't get me wrong, i am a hunter, but its not my main goal in shooting. Im working my way towards LRPS ;)

Cant wait for stupid 28 day period to finish! So silly when you look at the time it takes prior to getting your PTA, as if another 28 days is needed after months to get to this stage!
Before anybody looks at price and thinks it was $20, I WISH, there's a couple of ones (that didn't show in picture) in-front! Some say they are expensive/overpriced but considering i have more money in my favorite ultra light spinning outfit so by comparison I consider it great value!

I have a steel 10-shot CZ mag, and I thought they'd be the top of the line, but like i said it rusts really easily; must be a high carbon steel without much bluing. I have to routinely oil it if I'm using it.The CZ polys are hard to find, which I guess backs up my thoughts that they're the most popular. I hardly use the 10-shot anymore as I predominantly use my Lithgow for rimfire silhouette comp, in which case you have to single load anyway, so I just use the factory poly. Dunno about the legalities surrounding getting one of those 25-shot monsters into AUS.

LRPS! Nice - I shot fullbore target through my teen years; very competitive arena indeed! If you haven't already, maybe get yourself a target sling to practice with? That's key to shooting prone supported. I have a m1907 style loop sling which I use for fun longer range work or plinking from prone supported. Here's a pic of it on my Lithy:

IMG_5549.JPG
IMG_5549.JPG (1.55 MiB) Viewed 6206 times

I actually had to alter the front stud so it could swivel which turned out pretty well.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 13 Aug 2017, 4:40 pm

in2anity wrote:I hardly use the 10-shot anymore as I predominantly use my Lithgow for rimfire silhouette comp, in which case you have to single load anyway

Say what?
Is this just at your particular range or part of the silhouette rules?
Attachments
MSR mags.JPG
MSR mags.JPG (110.39 KiB) Viewed 6202 times
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 13 Aug 2017, 4:50 pm

bladeracer wrote:
in2anity wrote:I hardly use the 10-shot anymore as I predominantly use my Lithgow for rimfire silhouette comp, in which case you have to single load anyway

Say what?
Is this just at your particular range or part of the silhouette rules?

Silverdale rules at least - not actually sure if it's part of the formal rules.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

PreviousNext

Return to Centerfire rifles