Lithgow LA101 CrossOver

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Lithgow LA101 CrossOver

Post by Wylie27 » 12 Feb 2017, 7:32 am

Safeshot,

I had to remove material from the CZ mag lug to get it to work on my LA101.

I had to removal material off my original mag too, off the top of the magazine to prevent it from being hit by the bolt and causing the magazine to change angles.

Still it's hit every bunny I have shot at lol
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 06 Jun 2017, 6:43 am

22plinkster just did a review of the LA101. He said that it is the best bolt gun he has ever owned.

https://www.full30.com/video/f7e42e79ad ... 94f48bad76
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 06 Jun 2017, 8:28 am

After 12 months I'm extremely happy with mine - I've put close to 3000 rounds through her now and accuracy has definitely improved; she can hold about 0.4" at 50m (indoor, cheap match ammo). Though I must admit I did put Lumley springs in her, and it's hard going back and shooting my mate's (which still has the factory springs). Also I should mention, Lithgow replaced my factory mag which 100% resolved the feed issue. Mine is an early 2016 built rifle.

Unfortunately my mate's la101 has the same stove-piping issue, and it also has a sloppy extractor (Lithgow are keen to do the warranty job on it but he is reluctant to give up his baby). Actually I think he got the lemon that kept coming back to the LGS as I feel I recognised the 2015-built serial number, and it was weirdly available back when they were stacked up on back-order. If I were buying one now, I'd only get a recently built one; perhaps a late 2016 or 2017 build.

I use mine mainly for sporting-rifle rimfire silhouette - and honestly I feel I'm at an unfair advantage! The rounds always land precisely where she was pointed and has absolutely no issues knocking down those rams out at 100m (provided you do your part!)
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Dunxy » 06 Aug 2017, 12:09 pm

in2anity wrote:AI recognised the 2015-built serial number, and it was weirdly available back when they were stacked up on back-order. If I were buying one now, I'd only get a recently built one; perhaps a late 2016 or 2017 build.)

Hmm, I just bought one, I knew of stovepipe issue but i thought i was more to do with CZ mags than the factory ones.
I haven't picked it up as its my first and waiting for PTA so i haven't shot it yet.

Can you give me an idea of manufacturing date from a partial serial? 52049** its a laminate with black barrel, hope its a recent production.

Cheers
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by allan » 06 Aug 2017, 6:25 pm

Dunxy wrote:Can you give me an idea of manufacturing date from a partial serial? 52049** its a laminate with black barrel, hope its a recent production.
Cheers

Laminated/Titanium 15Z2XXX bought 02.10.15
Walnut/Black 16Z4XXX bought 28.09.16

Had to tweak the feed & ejection on the first one - Both 22LR - Second one simply flawless :)
allan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Other

Post by in2anity » 13 Aug 2017, 12:24 pm

Dunxy wrote:
in2anity wrote:AI recognised the 2015-built serial number, and it was weirdly available back when they were stacked up on back-order. If I were buying one now, I'd only get a recently built one; perhaps a late 2016 or 2017 build.)

Hmm, I just bought one, I knew of stovepipe issue but i thought i was more to do with CZ mags than the factory ones.
I haven't picked it up as its my first and waiting for PTA so i haven't shot it yet.

Can you give me an idea of manufacturing date from a partial serial? 52049** its a laminate with black barrel, hope its a recent production.

Cheers

As stated, the first two digits are normally the year the rifle was built - I'm not sure where you got 52...? where exactly did you get that number?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Dunxy » 13 Aug 2017, 1:07 pm

in2anity wrote:
As stated, the first two digits are normally the year the rifle was built - I'm not sure where you got 52...? where exactly did you get that number?

I don't actually have the rifle as awaiting PTA, im getting the serial from picture i took when i bought it, they have serial on the tag.However its not the clearest! I think the first digit is missing.On looking now i got it pretty wrong first time! I think second visible may be a Z Im guessing it may be 2016, first missing digit a 1, first visible a 6?
See what you can make of it!
web img

Edit:Thought id check my receipt,low and behold they put serial on there. 16z04991 so 2016 she is!
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 13 Aug 2017, 3:45 pm

Dunxy wrote:
in2anity wrote:

I don't actually have the rifle as awaiting PTA, im getting the serial from picture i took when i bought it, they have serial on the tag.However its not the clearest! I think the first digit is missing.On looking now i got it pretty wrong first time! I think second visible may be a Z Im guessing it may be 2016, first missing digit a 1, first visible a 6?
See what you can make of it!
web img

Edit:Thought id check my receipt,low and behold they put serial on there. 16z04991 so 2016 she is!

16 built is good! If you happen to have any feeding issues don't stress because it's likely only a magazine problem and you have a few options; a) send the magazine back to Lithgow in the mail (but register the warranty claim online first) and they'll mail you back a replacement free of charge. They are very helpful. b) pick yourself up a CZ magazine in the interim; they work perfectly in the LA101.. Actually IMO the 5-shot poly CZ mags are the best, the steel ones tend to rust. And the 5-shot is ideal because it sits flush with the bottom of the rifle, right where you balance the rifle for standing offhand.

Mine's shooting like a dream now; without a doubt my favorite rifle. You can really feel the Austrian influence in them; weird looking things, but they're more like a target rifle than a hunting rifle and for the purpose they are designed perfectly.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Dunxy » 13 Aug 2017, 4:03 pm

in2anity wrote:16 built is good! If you happen to have any feeding issues don't stress because it's likely only a magazine problem and you have a few options; a) send the magazine back to Lithgow in the mail (but register the warranty claim online first) and they'll mail you back a replacement free of charge. They are very helpful. b) pick yourself up a CZ magazine in the interim; they work perfectly in the LA101.. Actually IMO the 5-shot poly CZ mags are the best, the steel ones tend to rust. And the 5-shot is ideal because it sits flush with the bottom of the rifle, right where you balance the rifle for standing offhand.

Mine's shooting like a dream now; without a doubt my favorite rifle. You can really feel the Austrian influence in them; weird looking things, but they're more like a target rifle than a hunting rifle and for the purpose they are designed perfectly.

Thanks for the info re warranty,good stuff!
Mag info is greatly appreciated as well.I was eying of metal cz mags.Have you tried any ten round mags or even that evil 25 round "assault" mag? Was thinking of extra cap options just for the range, 5 is more than enough for hunting and i agree, i do like the flush fit better myself.

They are a strange beast! I really wanted a more traditional "hunting" pattern 22, like a Brno or CZ.But given that the Brno i had lined up fell through and i will spend most of my time shooting paper and steel a rifle that leans towards the target side of things makes more sense. Don't get me wrong, i am a hunter, but its not my main goal in shooting. Im working my way towards LRPS ;)

Cant wait for stupid 28 day period to finish! So silly when you look at the time it takes prior to getting your PTA, as if another 28 days is needed after months to get to this stage!
Before anybody looks at price and thinks it was $20, I WISH, there's a couple of ones (that didn't show in picture) in-front! Some say they are expensive/overpriced but considering i have more money in my favorite ultra light spinning outfit so by comparison I consider it great value!
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 13 Aug 2017, 4:24 pm

Dunxy wrote:
in2anity wrote:16 built is good! If you happen to have any feeding issues don't stress because it's likely only a magazine problem and you have a few options; a) send the magazine back to Lithgow in the mail (but register the warranty claim online first) and they'll mail you back a replacement free of charge. They are very helpful. b) pick yourself up a CZ magazine in the interim; they work perfectly in the LA101.. Actually IMO the 5-shot poly CZ mags are the best, the steel ones tend to rust. And the 5-shot is ideal because it sits flush with the bottom of the rifle, right where you balance the rifle for standing offhand.

Thanks for the info re warranty,good stuff!
Mag info is greatly appreciated as well.I was eying of metal cz mags.Have you tried any ten round mags or even that evil 25 round "assault" mag? Was thinking of extra cap options just for the range, 5 is more than enough for hunting and i agree, i do like the flush fit better myself.

They are a strange beast! I really wanted a more traditional "hunting" pattern 22, like a Brno or CZ.But given that the Brno i had lined up fell through and i will spend most of my time shooting paper and steel a rifle that leans towards the target side of things makes more sense. Don't get me wrong, i am a hunter, but its not my main goal in shooting. Im working my way towards LRPS ;)

Cant wait for stupid 28 day period to finish! So silly when you look at the time it takes prior to getting your PTA, as if another 28 days is needed after months to get to this stage!
Before anybody looks at price and thinks it was $20, I WISH, there's a couple of ones (that didn't show in picture) in-front! Some say they are expensive/overpriced but considering i have more money in my favorite ultra light spinning outfit so by comparison I consider it great value!

I have a steel 10-shot CZ mag, and I thought they'd be the top of the line, but like i said it rusts really easily; must be a high carbon steel without much bluing. I have to routinely oil it if I'm using it.The CZ polys are hard to find, which I guess backs up my thoughts that they're the most popular. I hardly use the 10-shot anymore as I predominantly use my Lithgow for rimfire silhouette comp, in which case you have to single load anyway, so I just use the factory poly. Dunno about the legalities surrounding getting one of those 25-shot monsters into AUS.

LRPS! Nice - I shot fullbore target through my teen years; very competitive arena indeed! If you haven't already, maybe get yourself a target sling to practice with? That's key to shooting prone supported. I have a m1907 style loop sling which I use for fun longer range work or plinking from prone supported. Here's a pic of it on my Lithy:

IMG_5549.JPG
IMG_5549.JPG (1.55 MiB) Viewed 6242 times

I actually had to alter the front stud so it could swivel which turned out pretty well.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 13 Aug 2017, 4:40 pm

in2anity wrote:I hardly use the 10-shot anymore as I predominantly use my Lithgow for rimfire silhouette comp, in which case you have to single load anyway

Say what?
Is this just at your particular range or part of the silhouette rules?
Attachments
MSR mags.JPG
MSR mags.JPG (110.39 KiB) Viewed 6238 times
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 13 Aug 2017, 4:50 pm

bladeracer wrote:
in2anity wrote:I hardly use the 10-shot anymore as I predominantly use my Lithgow for rimfire silhouette comp, in which case you have to single load anyway

Say what?
Is this just at your particular range or part of the silhouette rules?

Silverdale rules at least - not actually sure if it's part of the formal rules.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by AusTac » 13 Aug 2017, 6:33 pm

I'll single load by choice if i'm going for groups, as the bullet can get all jacked up during loading, otherwise f that! Single loading as a rule at a range is f-ed! On the odd occasion i make a trip to the range i remember why i hate it so much
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by in2anity » 13 Aug 2017, 6:42 pm

AusTac wrote:I'll single load by choice if i'm going for groups, as the bullet can get all jacked up during loading, otherwise f that! Single loading as a rule at a range is f-ed! On the odd occasion i make a trip to the range i remember why i hate it so much

Granted - but putting the rifle down between shots is imperative for muscle recovery during "silly-wet" matches. Good luck holding a heavy rifle like the LA101 up for the duration of a match - you'd be shaking like you'd eaten a packet of no-doze! A featherweight gallery rifle on the other hand; yeah that might be doable, I wouldn't know.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

PreviousNext

Return to Centerfire rifles