Lithgow LA101 CrossOver

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Lithgow LA101 CrossOver

Post by crush » 18 May 2014, 10:09 pm

Hi all,

Looking for feedback on the Lithgow LA101 CrossOver.

This is marketing it up but the website gives it quite a wrap...

The Australian-made LA101 CrossOver is a crossover hunting / varmint / target rifle with modern tactical styling, high accuracy and reliability.

Anyone used one?

Claims to being great for everything... Wondering if it's all it's cracked up to be... Or trying to be a jack of all trades but master of none?
crush
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Re: Lithgow LA101 CrossOver

Post by MeccaOz » 18 May 2014, 10:13 pm

I didnt think they had been released publicly yet ? But I am interested in the .22 ( Yes I need a new .22 )
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Fozzy » 18 May 2014, 10:42 pm

Was meant to be out first 1/4 of this year from all the guff I had seen. It doesnt look like they are available yet as the website is still asking for people to register their interest.

Sure looks the part.. Would like to support aussie if its a good bit of kit.
Fozzy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by crush » 20 May 2014, 4:13 pm

MeccaOz wrote:I didnt think they had been released publicly yet?

Oh...

I saw they are advertising them in Australian shooter mags now so assumed they were here...
crush
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by crush » 20 May 2014, 4:14 pm

Fozzy wrote:It doesnt look like they are available yet as the website is still asking for people to register their interest.

Well s**t.
crush
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by chookah » 21 May 2014, 1:17 pm

I've chucked the mag now, don't have any of the info, but there was a review in the latest SSAA mag.

If you can get a copy of it.
Remington 700 Sendero SF II
7mm Remington Magnum

Tikka T3 Lite
.223 Remington
chookah
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Humir » 21 May 2014, 6:04 pm

It does mention in the SSAA mag review that the one they test is a prototype. Just a note...

Other than that it gets a good review. $995 price tag.

May issue of the SSAA mag. Yep.
Humir
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by Norty_Country_Bloke » 23 May 2014, 12:05 am

As a soon to be first time firearm buyer, interested in a .17 HMR, and always keen to support Aussie business, I'm hoping Lithgow pull their finger out and get this puppy on the market ASAP! The review in (Australian Shooter?) seemed favourable.

I fired my first shot at the age of ten with a single shot, Lithgow made, .22, and fell further in love with firearms. Just like my old man and his before him.

Seems appropriate to start my own collection with the LA101. Then I can pass that down to my (God help me) offspring when the time comes :D
.22LR, .222 Remington, .12g. But it's not the same when they don't live in your safe :P
Norty_Country_Bloke
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by RoginaJack » 23 May 2014, 8:48 am

Yes, I too am interested in the 22MRF and in L.H.

I think the release date was June and the SSAA mag gives the prototype a glowing write up.

Also, I spoke to Qld, Gun Exchange yesterday and they had no idea when stock would be arriving.

With the delay at the Qld, WLB I'm thinking of putting in my PTA now and with a bit of luck it might get approved by July.

Hey, with my SSAA mags. when I've finished with them I drop them off at the table in the Doctors waiting room. Gives the blokes something to read other than the New Idea & Womens weekly, LOL...
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by MeccaOz » 23 May 2014, 10:51 am

RoginaJack wrote:Hey, with my SSAA mags. when I've finished with them I drop them off at the table in the Doctors waiting room. Gives the blokes something to read other than the New Idea & Womens weekly, LOL...

AWESOME IDEA :D
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Supporter » 23 May 2014, 1:48 pm

Ha ha.

I think I'll start doing that too.

Spread the good word ;)
Winchester 1894 30-30
Howa Varminter .204 Ruger
Savage Model 10/110 Trophy Hunter XP 30-06 Springfield
Supporter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by MeccaOz » 24 May 2014, 1:33 am

Just received an update from Lithgow. Apparently some people have already put deposits down at their local dealers, And they say it wont be long now... BUT as to how long , they dont say.
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Chronos » 25 May 2014, 10:14 am

i read the reviews in both magazines this month and one thing to come out of them for me was A) it's too expensive and B) it didn't seem to be very accurate

at close to $1000 that puts is in a price bracket three times the price of a marlin, double that of a savage synthetic and dearer than both CZ and Ruger entry models

none of the groups shown in the magazine were inspiring accuracy wise, from memory there was mention of around 1" at 50y but the groups shown mentioned they were shot at 25y and they didn't look like cloverleafs

add to that the rear locking bolt and the cerakoted metal work starts to make it less desirable to me, i'm sure there will be those that buy it simply because it's australian made but i think they've missed the mark.

this is just my personal view of course but for $1K it should be an example of australian craftsman ship, beautiful timber, deep rich bluing or stainless barrels and accuracy in the order or 1/2" at 50y,

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Baldrick314 » 25 May 2014, 10:28 am

As a side note, every magazine I pick up recently has a review on this rifle. Before this it was the mosberg MVP and before that the Remington 783.

Most of these magazines are from the same publishing group and the reviews read like someone took the first one and busted out their thesaurus to swap a few words around.

Anyone else noticed this saturation of reviews of the same products month after month?
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 25 May 2014, 10:44 am

Baldrick314 wrote:As a side note, every magazine I pick up recently has a review on this rifle. Before this it was the mosberg MVP and before that the Remington 783.

Most of these magazines are from the same publishing group and the reviews read like someone took the first one and busted out their thesaurus to swap a few words around.

Anyone else noticed this saturation of reviews of the same products month after month?

yeah mate but i think is't more likely the release and media days put on by the importers and producers, if winchester receive a new batch of gear they invite the "media" to come out for the day and they do a little release, let the guys handle the new rifle, or range of scopes or whatever. some of this stuff gets posted out to reviewers to try then a month or two later it's in every mag at the same time

i don't think it's anything more than that

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 25 May 2014, 3:37 pm

Chronos wrote:
add to that the rear locking bolt and the cerakoted metal work starts to make it less desirable to me, i'm sure there will be those that buy it simply because it's australian made but i think they've missed the mark.

Chronos

I think you'll find the majority of .22 rimfires are rear locking and show no ill effects from it.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Chronos » 25 May 2014, 4:17 pm

Warrigul wrote:
Chronos wrote:

Chronos

I think you'll find the majority of .22 rimfires are rear locking and show no ill effects from it.

True and the fact that the crossover uses 3 locking lugs probably giving better lockup as long as the surfaces match up correctly. It also gives a short 60deg bolt lift.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Kater » 25 May 2014, 7:15 pm

A lot of buzz on this one.

That Australian made stamp goes a long way :)
Savage Model 25 Lightweight Varminter 204 Ruger
Leupold VX-2 6-18x40mm

Savage Model 11/111 BTH 30-06 Springfield
Bushnell Elite 3-9 40mm
Kater
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Monty » 20 Jun 2014, 8:39 am

Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by crush » 20 Jun 2014, 8:40 am

Cheers :D
crush
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by RoginaJack » 20 Jun 2014, 2:50 pm

Kater wrote:A lot of buzz on this one.

That Australian made stamp goes a long way :)

Um. maybe but my bank account might fall a bit short...
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Kater » 26 Jun 2014, 6:38 pm

No maybe at my end :(

I can't afford "buzz" :lol:
Savage Model 25 Lightweight Varminter 204 Ruger
Leupold VX-2 6-18x40mm

Savage Model 11/111 BTH 30-06 Springfield
Bushnell Elite 3-9 40mm
Kater
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by primer » 27 Jun 2014, 1:54 pm

im keen to see one in the flesh.
primer
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by 1290 » 27 Jun 2014, 2:15 pm

Chronos wrote:
Warrigul wrote:
Chronos wrote:

Chronos

True and the fact that the crossover uses 3 locking lugs probably giving better lockup as long as the surfaces match up correctly. It also gives a short 60deg bolt lift.

Chronos

They could have 1 lug and it would be enough.... anyway the best 22s have no lugs and a zero degree bolt lift....
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by MeccaOz » 27 Jun 2014, 2:22 pm

1290 wrote:
Chronos wrote:
Warrigul wrote:
Chronos wrote:

Chronos

Chronos

They could have 1 lug and it would be enough.... anyway the best 22s have no lugs and a zero degree bolt lift....

LOL, yeah they do :mrgreen:
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by MeccaOz » 27 Jun 2014, 3:01 pm

MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Warrigul » 27 Jun 2014, 5:32 pm

1290 wrote:

How I miss my s**ty old 10/22 ruger............
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by 1290 » 27 Jun 2014, 5:52 pm

Warrigul wrote:
1290 wrote:

how quickly we forget......

#$%^^ little johnie, him and his bullet proof vest.... :evil:
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by MeccaOz » 27 Jun 2014, 6:22 pm

1290 wrote:
Warrigul wrote:
1290 wrote:

how quickly we forget......

#$%^^ little johnie, him and his bullet proof vest.... :evil:

LOL I remember seeing him in that, my first thought "Wanker playing on Joe Publics fear"
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by zook60 » 28 Jun 2014, 9:04 am

They have hit the shops, there was a guy that did a review on Facebook.

They looked good at the Shot Show.
zook60
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles