Lithgow LA101 CrossOver

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Lithgow LA101 CrossOver

Post by AusTac » 29 Aug 2016, 11:56 am

Alright, who did you have to beat up before they would spill that kinda info, whenever i asked it was glossed over compleatly
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Wylie27 » 29 Aug 2016, 12:00 pm

Not with my rifle, It had nothing to do with the follower. I had bent that f&$$er all sorts or ways..

It does however have to do with manufacturing tolerances on the magazine.. Eg my magazine and the replacement magazine were out of shape at the rear by .25mm which caused the bolt to push the rear of the magazine downwards presenting the round at different angles depending on the pressure I was applying to the bolt.

Removing the excess material from the magazine resolved the issue.

(Also replacing the magazine with a CZ one)

I am not saying there isn't an issue with the follower, I am sure there are, but I can guarantee the a fair percentage of issues are the magazine being out of shape rather than the follower being out of shape
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 29 Aug 2016, 12:03 pm

Austac,

I have an email stating something similar. They are becoming more helpful
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by rsj223 » 29 Aug 2016, 7:21 pm

only 90% hmm
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Wylie27 » 29 Aug 2016, 7:27 pm

Rsj, have you gotten a hold of a CZ mag to try?
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by rsj223 » 29 Aug 2016, 7:39 pm

Wylie27 wrote:Rsj, have you gotten a hold of a CZ mag to try?

Nah mine still @ Lithgow I want them to fix it, probably wont see it for 4-6 weeks.
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Wylie27 » 29 Aug 2016, 7:43 pm

Ahh ok... Hope they get it right!
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by rsj223 » 29 Aug 2016, 7:50 pm

Wylie27 wrote:Ahh ok... Hope they get it right!

I'm getting to the point of selling it so if they dont fix it they will have it back 10 times if I have to, prob just buy another .22 wile all that just works it self out I guess.
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by wade06 » 25 Sep 2016, 4:52 pm

I've now got 3 types of ammo that shoot great in my Crossover.
CCI Standard Solid, Eley Sub HP & CCI Quiet Segmented HP.

Just need a HV HP.. what works best for you guys in the crossover or any 22?
I have seen really good reports on the RWS HV HP but cant find it any where :?
Walnut Lithgow La101 .22LR - Vortex Diamondback HP 3-12x42
Tikka T3 Lite .243W - Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x42
wade06
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 25 Sep 2016, 5:59 pm

wade06 wrote:I've now got 3 types of ammo that shoot great in my Crossover.
CCI Standard Solid, Eley Sub HP & CCI Quiet Segmented HP.

Just need a HV HP.. what works best for you guys in the crossover or any 22?
I have seen really good reports on the RWS HV HP but cant find it any where :?

Best ammo so far in my Ruger American is Eley Match and Eley Edge which hold about 2MoA out to 100 yards, and Remington Cyclone which holds 2MoA out to 50 yards - I haven't shot this stuff at 100yds yet as it's supersonic.
CCI Quiet Seg HP is very quiet and shoots around 3.5MoA out to 50 yards, haven't shot groups at 100 yards with it.
For hunting I use CCI Stingers and Mini-Mags, but their accuracy is not outstanding, around 4MoA to 70yds. With non-subsonic stuff you might find accuracy falls apart when they go subsonic - I find the Stingers only good to about 70yds.

I tried RWS HVHP in the American and my BSA Sportsman but it wasn't good in either.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 25 Sep 2016, 6:54 pm

CCI hollow point Mini mags shoot really well in my Lithgow and are my standard ammo now.
Federal bulk pack HV HP's also shoot quite well, so do Remmy bucket 'o' bullets.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Wylie27 » 25 Sep 2016, 7:01 pm

Another vote for hp mini mags.
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by wade06 » 25 Sep 2016, 7:02 pm

Thanks. Tried eley match and it wasn't any better than CCI standard (10mm at 50m or 0.7 MOA) which is a fraction of the price. Eley sub hp shoots 11mm at 50m. CCI Quiet is rubbish for me but CCI Quiet Segmented is great out to 50m.... 8mm groups at 25m.
wade06
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 25 Sep 2016, 7:04 pm

My crossover loves eley sport and club.
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by wade06 » 25 Sep 2016, 7:10 pm

Thanks Wylie, My crossover loves the other CCI rounds so I may try mini mag.... I don't get the chance to shoot much HV ammo though.

Anyone tried CCI Velocitors for a bit more oomph?
wade06
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 25 Sep 2016, 7:28 pm

wade06 wrote:Anyone tried CCI Velocitors for a bit more oomph?

Velocitors are one that I've wanted to try but have never seen any.
I really wish more shops would offer postage on ammo, I can only try what I find around local dealers.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 25 Sep 2016, 8:38 pm

Try the Velocitors. They shoot and kill well done in my t-bolt and from other forum reports they shoot well in a variety of guns. Give 'em a go.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by catman » 30 Sep 2016, 7:13 pm

Hey guys,
bought one coupla weeks back,walnut stock,
Took outa the box and shot 93 pills,after 38 or so
was putting into bottle top @ 58mtrs lying prone
using Aldi cooler bag full of work shirts as a rest...
I'm sure at proper bench rest you guys would do better.
We are very happy with rifle thus far cheers catman and the girl
catman
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by wade06 » 30 Sep 2016, 10:48 pm

Nice catman :)
wade06
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 23 Dec 2016, 6:57 pm

Just got my Crossover back from the gunsmith, the screw holding the trigger assembly was jammed up good and required extraction.

While he was there I had him replace the trigger and sear springs.

Wow what a difference.. did a couple of dryfires and so much lighter, I don't have a gauge but it's very light..

Can't wait to get it back to the range.
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by rsj223 » 23 Dec 2016, 8:34 pm

Cant wait to see report now.
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Wylie27 » 23 Dec 2016, 9:08 pm

Won't be until the new year.. but yes there will be a report..
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by rsj223 » 23 Dec 2016, 9:27 pm

I can wait Merry Christmas.
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Buddy77 » 26 Jan 2017, 11:18 pm

Hi Guys,

When i first heard about the Lithgow LA101 my eyes glazed over at the thought of owning something that looked sexy BUT!

Im very concerned with the feed back owners are giving with the amount of use the rifles are getting.

There is a very upset person on "nzrimfire"

Is it possible there has been an entire upgrade of the firearm ? or are we talking if i had to spend the money just buy a CZ ?
Buddy77
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Post by allan » 28 Jan 2017, 10:54 am

Buddy77 wrote:Is it possible there has been an entire upgrade of the firearm ? or are we talking if i had to spend the money just buy a CZ ?

When buying a fire arm (or anything else), do your research and purchase what YOU want.
I've read some flak re the LA101 - Some of it justified.
I own two - an earlier version with a couple of feed & ejection issues which were easily resolved. I did a build on that rifle which has turned out to perhaps the most accurate rim fire sporter I've ever owned.
The second, bought a few months ago, is simply flawless. I've cleaned it and shot it and the accuracy is close to a 54 Anschutz.
I don't make those comments lightly as I've owned/own some of the best production 22's offered over the past half century.
Any production gun, regardless of make, MAY arrive NIB ready to roll. Perhaps I'm unlucky (or too fussy) but virtually EVERY new gun I've ever bought required some fine tuning.
allan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Other

Post by wade06 » 28 Jan 2017, 11:47 am

Buddy77 wrote:Hi Guys,

When i first heard about the Lithgow LA101 my eyes glazed over at the thought of owning something that looked sexy BUT!

Im very concerned with the feed back owners are giving with the amount of use the rifles are getting.

There is a very upset person on "nzrimfire"

Is it possible there has been an entire upgrade of the firearm ? or are we talking if i had to spend the money just buy a CZ ?

I have put about 700 rounds through my LA101 and love it. It consistently shoots 10mm groups at 50m with cheap $5 CCI ammo. I'm certain that the right high end ammo would be even better.

I have had maybe 3 stovepipes in the magazine but these may have been my fault when loading... ie, the rim of the lower round was in front of the upper... noticed that on the last one.

The trigger is a touch heavy for target shooting, the weight is a touch high for a hunting rifle but it is a cross over.
wade06
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Wm.Traynor » 28 Jan 2017, 7:45 pm

Buddy77 wrote:Hi Guys,

or are we talking if i had to spend the money just buy a CZ ?

FWIW, I am very happy with my CZ455. Look up my posts for a report. But other people are happy with their JW15 for Waaaay less money but be aware that both need work IMO. But with luck being what it is, you could go Chinese and need no work at all. Or it could be a dud: who would know?

Always, at the back of your mind, there is the suspicion that you will spend-up-big, only to find that someone has spent a quarter of that on something that shoots rings around yours :cry: And buying a CZ is no guarantee of happiness as reports on www.RimfireCentral.com/forums will reveal to you.

So what should you do? IMO, for your Long Term happiness, I think you should learn to fettle your own guns but that is a Long Journey. That will mean giving up on short term satisfaction unless you have the coin for an Anschutz. I did not but with My Cz, I was lucky after some fettling, which after 50 years of tinkering, I am qualified to do :)
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 28 Jan 2017, 10:54 pm

allan wrote:
Buddy77 wrote:Is it possible there has been an entire upgrade of the firearm ? or are we talking if i had to spend the money just buy a CZ ?

When buying a fire arm (or anything else), do your research and purchase what YOU want.
I've read some flak re the LA101 - Some of it justified.
I own two - an earlier version with a couple of feed & ejection issues which were easily resolved. I did a build on that rifle which has turned out to perhaps the most accurate rim fire sporter I've ever owned.
The second, bought a few months ago, is simply flawless. I've cleaned it and shot it and the accuracy is close to a 54 Anschutz.
I don't make those comments lightly as I've owned/own some of the best production 22's offered over the past half century.
Any production gun, regardless of make, MAY arrive NIB ready to roll. Perhaps I'm unlucky (or too fussy) but virtually EVERY new gun I've ever bought required some fine tuning.

never has truer words been spoken . I wanted one of these ever since they came out , but I would never buy anything new

no matter how much I want it that go's for anything boats cars fishing reels and of course fire arms , and I am glad I waited

I have a nice LA 101 and it now feeds anything I feed it and just like a CZ it needs a trigger job .

the only rimfire rifle that I ever bought that only needed adjustment and a very simple spring replacement was a Anschutz's

1517DHB . and this rifle will soon get it's trigger done . it is as accurate as any cz that I have had (3 of) and that is with a trigger

that is way to heavy for me.

I think that as this mob are spruking that the crossover is a target come hunting rifle they should offer an option for an adjustable

trigger from 6oz to 20oz even if it was $400 extra I would have gladly paid it .

IMG_3699 (Medium).JPG
IMG_3699 (Medium).JPG (106.18 KiB) Viewed 7146 times
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Buddy77 » 29 Jan 2017, 12:48 am

Just to be clear i wasnt trying to bash the Lithgow id still really like to own one just gathering info
Buddy77
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Post by deye243 » 29 Jan 2017, 1:13 am

Buddy77 wrote:Just to be clear i wasnt trying to bash the Lithgow id still really like to own one just gathering info

it didn't seem like that to me but I haven't read the hole 16 pages

I will say this and I own one they ought to be shot for putting a trigger like the one on mine on a rifle of this quality .

everything else is 1st class stock action barrel just run a patch down one it is nearly as good as the maddco's I have

had .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Centerfire rifles