Lithgow LA101 CrossOver

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Lithgow LA101 CrossOver

Post by Wylie27 » 08 Jun 2016, 5:21 pm

I got another email after I replied with well given this rifles history and time spent at LA, I am concerned that the problem is still there.

There response was my rifle didn't have a stove piping issue it had a different issue

What The Fark...

Do I offload this sucker, or just leave it in the safe and get something else.
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by rsj223 » 08 Jun 2016, 7:38 pm

Give em heaps print every page from here and any other thing you can find, by making this fix PDF and sending it out that means the mags have a problem?
I told them not my problem to fix and now you give me a doc that shows me how to fix a problem that you know about, I think they should send out 2 good mags at least.
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by rsj223 » 09 Jun 2016, 9:26 am

From there email this morning.
"Send the rifle and magazine back to us for Lithgow to do exactly the same thing, that however will mean that you are without your rifle for a period of time"
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by rsj223 » 21 Jun 2016, 9:59 pm

Spent Sunday at the range and went through over 400 rounds, adjusted the magazines before we left home they went ok for 50-70 then started hitting the chamber just a bit to high, re adjusted went ok for 50 + then on only the last 2 rounds the bolt would go straight over all up I adjusted them twice at the range.
Before adjustments were made I traced around the follower so I knew where they started.
Out of a box of 50 there was no pattern, this 5 would all work fine then the next 5 1 or 2 would be crap
I have spent hundreds on ammo and I've had enough and will just sell it I think.
On a lighter note the Howa lite mini action in .223 was shooting under an inch @100 all day.
Attachments
.22 and .223.jpg
.22 and .223.jpg (361.15 KiB) Viewed 7497 times
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Andaroo » 05 Jul 2016, 9:24 am

Hi guys, can someone please send me the PDFs ? I have the same problem, only on the last round, I use a snap cap in the bottom when I shoot rapid in field.

Has anyone done any trigger adjustments ? I've done the lumley springs but then have made changes since, lowest I have been able to get is about 500gms.

Cheers
Andaroo
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by p3seven » 09 Jul 2016, 2:44 pm

Can anyone tell me . With the new for sale now Lithgow 22lr have they fixed the problems being discussed in this forum over the last couple of years?
Henry 22lr
Savage ll BTVS 22lr
Howa 1500 243 W
p3seven
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Matt77 » 09 Jul 2016, 5:23 pm

Picked up my new crossover in 17hmr today , leupold vx1 3-9x40 with leupold rings and Harris BRMS BI-pod really happy with it, fit and finish is great,also picked up a CZ 10 round magazine for it hoping to avoid the feeding issues that the 22lr has, so fingers crossed.
Matt77
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by Sam45 » 16 Jul 2016, 6:05 pm

Yep I too purchased the new Lithgow. Picked it up today and the finish and quality is awesome. Aussie made too. Now for this rain to boot off! So want to go have some fun with the new bunny buster :thumbsup:

13731728_10206879649089276_9102550426541340192_n.jpg
13731728_10206879649089276_9102550426541340192_n.jpg (56.22 KiB) Viewed 7396 times
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Wylie27 » 28 Jul 2016, 1:43 pm

Hey all,

Sorry for the long post.

So took the Crossover .22 to my brothers farm, It has finally been blooded :) bagged a few bunnies with it.

However the damn issue appeared again. bending the follower didnt seem to help, i would flatten it out to much or give it to much of a ramp.

I got home and was about to give up on the rifle and stick it up on used guns. Only to look at the pile of targets and realised that i like the rifle.. lol

So i searched the web for a new magazine, a CZ 452/455 5 rounder, was hoping for steel, but could only find a polymer.

Placed the order with gunsngear.com.au yesterday morning and it was delivered today. Fortunately i was off work today and i took the magazine and rifle into the workbench, grabbed some snap caps. Took the magazine out of the package and it feels heavier than the Lithgow magazine, feels a lot sturdier. So I loaded up the magazine and slid it into the rifle.

Problem... The magazine wont lock in.. it will just slip out. Taking out the magazine and comparing it to the Lithgow version and the locking lug is about 0.5mm wider than the Lithgow version.

Out comes the 240 grit sandpaper and a few seconds of sanding and now the magazine locks in cleanly and snugly.

Onto the test.. First round won't feed, the projectile hits the ramp and then wedges against it. I try again, same problem.. Decide to pull the magazine apart and bend the follower just a smidge and reassemble.

Reload the snap caps, cycle the bolt, action is flawless, 2nd, 3rd and 4th round its perfect. Now we are at the dreaded 5th round and fully expecting a stove pipe and it cycles perfectly.

Reloaded the mag with real rounds (federal champion) and ran through the same scenario with no hiccups, tried it again with CCI minimags and cycled perfectly.

In all i ran through this scenario 10 times, so 50 cycles of the bolt with no issues.

What i also noticed was the bolt was smoother, i always felt the bolt would catch on something or there was some sort of pressure preventing a smooth operation of the bolt. With the new magazine there was none of that.

Putting the old magazine back in the rifle and cycled the bolt and feeling that force again i decided to have a closer look. When the magazine is engaged it is not sitting flush, it would be may 0.2mm raised into the bolts path. It is only the rear of the magazine that is not flush. when the CZ magazine is in flush and smooth as.

It makes me wonder if the bolt is hitting the rear of the magazine pushing it down and causing bullet to angle up and miss the barrel.

I will note that i havent taken her to the range yet and we all know things change at the range :( However i am feeling rather confident that it is the magazine(not the follower) thats causing my issue now..
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by rsj223 » 28 Jul 2016, 7:22 pm

I'm a bit over the bending of the follower, I got it to be good on 1-4 but 5 would sit to low then adjust and now to high, I done it 5 times just can't get it 100% CBF will take it one more time then probably send it back.
Hope yours works out well when next you use it.
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Wylie27 » 29 Jul 2016, 9:49 pm

Rsj

I think it's the magazine, no misfeeds tonight with the CZ magazine but had several with the Lithgow magazine..

Gets your out and look at the magazine as you close the bolt.. Does it look like they touch at all?? My bolt touches the rear and just pushes up the magazine a bit.

maybe the magazines are just slightly wrong
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by rsj223 » 29 Jul 2016, 10:20 pm

Will have a look
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 29 Jul 2016, 10:31 pm

Try a bit of chalk on the top of the mag and see if the bolt rubs it off. Will answer the question about fit. Just an idea.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Wylie27 » 30 Jul 2016, 7:59 am

I was going to use a sharpie.. But chalk will work
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 30 Jul 2016, 9:07 am

Either, or. Chalk will show up quicker in one or two passes.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by in2anity » 01 Aug 2016, 7:48 am

Given the amount of Lithgow-bashing that's been going on, I thought I'd throw in my 5c. After a one month wait, my walnut black arrived:

Cropped_Large.jpg
walnut black cerakote
Cropped_Large.jpg (422.37 KiB) Viewed 7950 times

This rifle exceeded my expectations. I was able to cut strings at 50m with it, and it shoots superbly offhand. It really demands pairing with some quality glass.

I had one stove-pipe out of 150 rounds - call me old fashioned but given the quality of the rest of this kit, this doesn't phase me one bit. A truly sub-moa 22lr for $1000 is very hard to beat IMO.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by wade06 » 01 Aug 2016, 12:01 pm

in2anity wrote:Given the amount of Lithgow-bashing that's been going on, I thought I'd throw in my 5c. After a one month wait, my walnut black arrived

Very nice rifle in2anity, what ammo works best for you?
What scope is that? I ended up getting a Vortex Diamondback HP 3-12x42.

I will be picking up my Walnut/Titanium Lithgow later this week, have seen it in the shop and the stock looks awesome.
The Lithgows look great, shoot well and seem to be really high quality apart from the odd problem with the magazine feed which can be fixed.
I don't mind spending a bit more to support an Australian manufacturer either.
Walnut Lithgow La101 .22LR - Vortex Diamondback HP 3-12x42
Tikka T3 Lite .243W - Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x42
wade06
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by southwest shooter » 01 Aug 2016, 12:15 pm

that is one nice looking shooter.
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 01 Aug 2016, 1:30 pm

wade06 wrote:Very nice rifle in2anity, what ammo works best for you?

I've been mainly feeding it Eley Club - these are consistently sub-moa. They come in at around $12/box.

wade06 wrote:What scope is that? I ended up getting a Vortex Diamondback HP 3-12x42.

I put my Vanguard Endeavor RS 4-12x40; it has a BDC reticle for those longer hold-over shots. Vanguard have only recently entered the market, and they are targeting that rather empty middle-area in the optics market. They make quality scopes that don't hurt the hip pocket so much. I mostly set it to x4 for offhand shooting.

wade06 wrote:.. apart from the odd problem with the magazine feed which can be fixed ...

Precisely my thoughts - this is a problem with the mag, not the rifle, and with minimal effort this can be self rectified. TBPH I'm rather shocked at how customers have responded to this...
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 01 Aug 2016, 3:49 pm

Hi,

I am one of those customers and please don't assume anything.

My issues were not the magazine, Lithgow had the rifle for 4 months trying to resolve the issue..

I am not the only one in this boat, I know of several rifles who had the same or similar issues.

I wasn't going to bring up my issues with the rifle anymore as it is well documented, however you are inferring that my issue was and easy fix and I was carrying on.

When I first got the rifle, 1 stove pipe in 150. rounds. Then two in a hundred, then a stove pipe on every 5 th round. And it didn't matter which way you bent the follower it would fail.

Come back in 6 months after a couple of thousand rounds.. I hope you don't have the issues thatvRSJ and I had..

I will take it to the range to see if my latest theory is correct.. It's the magazine and not the follower is causing my latest issue
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by wade06 » 01 Aug 2016, 4:25 pm

Wylie, the sales person said that CZ magazines no longer fit in the latest Lithgows.
Hopefully this means that the issue has been sorted on the new ones.
Clipping in and removing the magazine felt/sounded great unlike a lot of rifles I have used..... just need my PTA to arrive :clap:
Last edited by wade06 on 01 Aug 2016, 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wade06
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by rsj223 » 01 Aug 2016, 5:16 pm

As above, mine was stove piping from the first outing and ejecting all over the place and could not hold a group, Lithgow themselves swapped over the whole rifle with no reason given, from day one on the range all I wanted was a refund as it was not fit for purpose, what would you do if your new car played up the first day out?
I walked into my LGS to buy a CZ .22 I done all my research when the guy behind the counter said "do you want to see the new Lithgow Timber" ok why not next thing I knew I blew the budget thought it was the best thing I'd seen, its getting close to 12 months now and its still poor and will be going back again because its not my job to bend the F*****g follower 5-20 times to get it right because it will change with different ammo Oh and dont forget the amount of money I'v spent on trying to find what it likes, I dont want a .22 thats only likes $25 a box ammo
And the second rifle has been shot by 4 people one a RO its on to a second scope I admit I stuffed up bad.
I wish I never had to write anything bad about a rifle but my 70's Winchester 250 leaver is more consistent than the 101
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 01 Aug 2016, 5:57 pm

RSJ, send it back and demand your money back. Consumer law is on your side.

Or... As it's such a dud, I'll give you $100 for it. ;)
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by rsj223 » 01 Aug 2016, 6:19 pm

I've tried the law and its one of those it will cot a bit of time and money, I just want it to work as I like it, hmm what can I get for $100 :lol:
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 01 Aug 2016, 6:34 pm

Submit an official complaint to ACCC for both retailer and manufacturer.

https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/consu ... ace-refund

Your issue with stove pipe may be minor but the issue of not being accurate within reason is a major issue. There is enough evidence to support that your particular rifle does not come close to matching performance of other Lithgow CO 101s.

I actually find it very curious and would love to have a play with that rifle to see it I could get it to shoot. True, you shouldn't have to with a new rifle but I like to tinker. Got my old Sportco from shooting about 4moa@ 50m to shooting around 1moa @ 50m but there were some serious farm shed gunmithing issues to blame for that.

Anyway... Hope you sort it all out.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by rsj223 » 01 Aug 2016, 7:03 pm

I sent them a letter and got a blunt answer that was more about the company getting it fixed I will go back to them before the 12 months is up, this is what Lithgow said if I want to fix it again
There are two ways that this can be handled:
1. Try the magazine fix on the website- which I attached to the previous email
2. Send the rifle and magazine back to us for Lithgow to do exactly the same thing, that however will mean that you are without your rifle for a period of time.
I was talking to another guy how played with torque settings and got his down to 10 shots in a 10cent @50 so wanting to give that a try before I get stuck into them.
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 01 Aug 2016, 7:23 pm

Consumer law says it is your voice for a major issue as to repair, replace, refund. They do not get to dictate law, their company policy means nothing.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by wade06 » 01 Aug 2016, 7:28 pm

:( Sorry to hear about your problems rsj223.

I have a deposit on a Lithgow that is in stock at the moment. It looks and feels amazing but some of the feeding and accuracy reports make me wonder if i should look at another rifle? :unknown:

On the other hand i have seen genuine reviews shooting 0.4" groups. :crazy:
wade06
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 01 Aug 2016, 7:33 pm

My Lithgow has genuinely produced several 10 round holes the size of a 5c and 10c piece.

It's a very accurate rifle and will outshoot me every time.
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by rsj223 » 01 Aug 2016, 7:44 pm

wade06 wrote::( Sorry to hear about your problems rsj223.

I have a deposit on a Lithgow that is in stock at the moment. It looks and feels amazing but some of the feeding and accuracy reports make me wonder if i should look at another rifle? :unknown:

On the other hand i have seen genuine reviews shooting 0.4" groups. :crazy:

Hey stick with what you like, there is only 10 like mine (guess) and many hundreds that are great
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Centerfire rifles