Loading for Tikka 6.5prc

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Loading for Tikka 6.5prc

Post by Diddums » 01 Aug 2023, 7:55 pm

Has anyone worked out a load for a tikka in 6.5 PRC?

First loads I worked up and tested were great.
Resized_shared_image_7860418775223.jpeg
Resized_shared_image_7860418775223.jpeg (284.66 KiB) Viewed 1031 times

I thought i had it all worked out until I loaded some more of the same load and it wouldn't shoot under an inch. The only thing that changed was that the brass was once fired.

Since then I've only shot it a bit and have made a few changes to the rifle.
Just wanted to ask I'd anyone else had some luck with the same cartridge.
Diddums
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Loading for Tikka 6.5prc

Post by JohnV » 10 Aug 2023, 7:43 pm

Not saying that this is the case but I have seen where a gun shot better groups with sized brass than fire formed brass and the reason was an out of line chamber ( chamber not concentric with the bore ) . Try giving the bore a good scrub out with bore solvent as if it's a new barrel it may be fouling more quickly until it runs in a bit more . I can tell more from the bad groups than the good ones .
If it keeps doing that consistently you might have to take a few fired cases to some BR shooter to do a dial gauge test .
You think nothing else changed but that's not teh case . You fired different projectiles for starters . Same brand from the same box can still have variations . The wind conditions could have changed , how you set the gun up might have changed , how well you were shooting on the day could have changed . You need to test a bit more and see if you can prove the anomaly . Otherwise the groups you have shown look very good .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Re: Loading for Tikka 6.5prc

Post by in2anity » 10 Aug 2023, 9:28 pm

Neck tension? Also, case capacity will have increased, changing the properties of the load. Perhaps you were right on a sweet spot with the virgin brass… and now you are not. Also was there easy wind the first time? Also, maybe you just shot well on the first day, form comes and goes :unknown:
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles