Magazine Capacity

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Magazine Capacity

Post by S O K A R » 11 Aug 2023, 11:04 pm

To cut a long story short I have both a pump action 223 and a bolt 223 of which both take ar compatible magazines.

(3) A person must not possess a detachable firearms magazine that is –
(a) capable of holding more than 10 rounds of ammunition and being used in a pump-action centre-fire rifle; or
(b) capable of holding more than 10 rounds of ammunition and being used in a lever-action centre-fire rifle; or
(c) capable of holding more than 15 rounds of ammunition and being used in a bolt-action centre-fire rifle.

According to the act you can use 10 round mags in a pump action and 15 round mags in a bolt gun, there is nothing I can find that covers if you own both firearms.
Would it be a safe assumption that I would be within the parameters of the law to have both 10 and 15 round mags as long as the 15 round mags weren't used in the pump action?
S O K A R
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Re: Magazine Capacity

Post by No1Mk3 » 11 Aug 2023, 11:20 pm

No, it would not be a good move. The operable word there is "capable", whether you use it in the pump-action or not you have it in your possession and it it is "capable" of being inserted in pump-action, stick to 10 round mags and don't risk getting pulled by a cop who will take your guns.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 12 Aug 2023, 3:38 am

Great question though
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Billo » 12 Aug 2023, 9:25 am

As long as you have the Bolt action with you when in possession of the 15 shot mag I dont see an issue.

The answer seems obvious
22lr, 20 Hornady Hornet, 6mm ARC, 270 Win, 308 Win, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 S&W
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by stihl88 » 12 Aug 2023, 3:32 pm

S O K A R wrote:To cut a long story short I have both a pump action 223 and a bolt 223 of which both take ar compatible magazines.

(a) capable of holding more than 10 rounds of ammunition and being used in a pump-action centre-fire rifle; or
(b) capable of holding more than 10 rounds of ammunition and being used in a lever-action centre-fire rifle; or
(c) capable of holding more than 15 rounds of ammunition and being used in a bolt-action centre-fire rifle.

According to the act you can use 10 round mags in a pump action and 15 round mags in a bolt gun, there is nothing I can find that covers if you own both firearms.
Would it be a safe assumption that I would be within the parameters of the law to have both 10 and 15 round mags as long as the 15 round mags weren't used in the pump action?

[Victoria] Although the mag's capable of holding more than 15 rounds, unless it is "being used in" the PA I interpret you would not be in breach.

As far as I'm aware magazines are not restricted [Victoria], you do not need to show you firearms license to purchase/possess them so in this scenario it's less about it's possession and capability and more about it's use.

To play it safe, you might want to look into this option, works well for me.
IMG_3654.JPG
IMG_3654.JPG (380.68 KiB) Viewed 1932 times
Last edited by stihl88 on 17 Aug 2023, 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
stihl88
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by womble » 12 Aug 2023, 4:56 pm

Yeah the mag coupler is another can of worms.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by stihl88 » 12 Aug 2023, 5:09 pm

womble wrote:Yeah the mag coupler is another can of worms.

What about duct tape?
stihl88
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 12 Aug 2023, 5:34 pm

stihl88 wrote:As far as I'm aware magazines are not restricted [Victoria], you do not need to show you firearms license to purchase/possess them so in this scenario it's less about it's possession and capability and more about it's use.

CatA/B mags are unregulated, don't know about CatH, but I don't think the average person can possess pistol mags over 10rds or CatD/E mags - like a 32rd MP40, 30rd AR15, or a 20rd L1A1 mag except on a Collector's or Theatrical Armourer's licence - anybody know for sure?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Aug 2023, 6:13 pm

S O K A R wrote:To cut a long story short I have both a pump action 223 and a bolt 223 of which both take ar compatible magazines.

Don't know much about this. However my advise is be vary careful. Look for other options.

No1M3 is knowledgeable in this area.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by womble » 12 Aug 2023, 7:01 pm

stihl88 wrote:
womble wrote:Yeah the mag coupler is another can of worms.

What about duct tape?

I honestly don’t know but still don’t want scrutiny from plod .
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 12 Aug 2023, 8:39 pm

I would strongly suggest that it would be a no. With my cat c 10/22, I can only own a 10 round mag. I’ve also got a Ruger 22 bolt action. Without my cat c I could have 15 round etc magazines for use in it, but because they cross over I can’t own one.
The old, I only use this mag for this gun, even though it also fits that other one doesn’t cut it.
I would imagine cat b would be viewed the same.
Pretty sure the mag coupler is above board though.
Happy to be proven wrong, but this is my take on it.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 12 Aug 2023, 9:04 pm

Shootermick wrote:I would strongly suggest that it would be a no. With my cat c 10/22, I can only own a 10 round mag. I’ve also got a Ruger 22 bolt action. Without my cat c I could have 15 round etc magazines for use in it, but because they cross over I can’t own one.
The old, I only use this mag for this gun, even though it also fits that other one doesn’t cut it.
I would imagine cat b would be viewed the same.
Pretty sure the mag coupler is above board though.
Happy to be proven wrong, but this is my take on it.

Have Police actually told you that you can't possess CatA/B 15rd mags at all just because you own a CatC rifle? I would have thought it was only an offence to actually use such a magazine in the rifle, not to merely possess it. The 15rd mags also fit the Ruger Charger pistols, which is the reason Border Force gave me for not allowing us to import them into Australia, even if we don't own Charger pistols. Border Force agreed that the magazines are not illegal, I just won't be given a B709 to import them, even though I already own some. I'm not aware of it being an offence to own the 15rd mags if you do own the pistol though, assuming you do own a rifle as well. Possessing a 15rd mag when you only own the pistol would be a strong circumstantial case I would think. All current BX15 and BX25 mag imports have to be restricted by the importer to 10rd capacity before Border Force will release them, and that appears to be despite some states having no limit on mag capacity for CatA rifles.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Aug 2023, 9:28 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:No, it would not be a good move. The operable word there is "capable", whether you use it in the pump-action or not you have it in your possession and it it is "capable" of being inserted in pump-action, stick to 10 round mags and don't risk getting pulled by a cop who will take your guns.

BL, this is what no1 is on about. It's about what could be used for. Not is used for.

P.S. What's wrong with just having a second 10 round mag?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 13 Aug 2023, 2:26 am

Oldbloke wrote:
No1Mk3 wrote:No, it would not be a good move. The operable word there is "capable", whether you use it in the pump-action or not you have it in your possession and it it is "capable" of being inserted in pump-action, stick to 10 round mags and don't risk getting pulled by a cop who will take your guns.

BL, this is what no1 is on about. It's about what could be used for. Not is used for.

P.S. What's wrong with just having a second 10 round mag?

Well just because :friends: ...... I actually hate mags that protrude below the stock :thumbsup: but I have no problem with anyone that wants to run a banana.
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles