Frothing up copper solvent

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Frothing up copper solvent

Post by padaro » 20 May 2014, 8:43 am

Hi,

So far cleaning my rifle I've run a wet patch through it and left it to soak for a few minutes.

Someone's told me though you should agitate the copper solvent with a brush to get it to froth up and that's when it works best.

Is that right?

Seemed to be doing an ok job the way I was doing it?
padaro
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Frothing up copper solvent

Post by Mark TAC » 20 May 2014, 5:54 pm

I don't think the idea is frothy solvent works better, just that scrubbing helps loosen stuff and gets the solvent into every nook and cranny. But really the only way to get it to froth up is scrubbing bakc n forth and the general concensus is NO just run the brush thru all the way.

If you are cleaning til no blue comes out, and are not using a brush, can't be doing a bad job of cleaning :)
Maker of carbon fibre / Kevlar(TM) tactical stocks
www.MSTactical.com

CZ 452 .22 - Leupy 2-7x33
Rem700 VSF .22/250 - Bushnell Elite 4200 6-20x40
Rem700 Sendero .300WinMag - Leupold 3.5-10x40 LR/T
Sako L461 custom .222 - Sighton SII 3-9x42
Mark TAC
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by yoshie » 20 May 2014, 6:40 pm

I usually let the solvent sit for 10mins I use a mop to coat the barrel, then run a brush down the barrel a few times (not back up into the action). I've never had it froth up, then push as many patches down it until they come out clean.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Chronos » 20 May 2014, 6:54 pm

I've been told the frothing is actually bubbles being produced by the chemical reaction between the solvent and the copper in the bore, and to use the foaming of the solvent as an indicator the solvent has activated and started working

There are many theories about cleaning and a lot of voodoo around copper removal so I will just say I do what a couple of very experienced shooters have told me they do.

Something else is if you think your factory barrel never copper fouls is recommend changing copper solvents and extending your routine cause its there. Believe me.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 25 May 2014, 8:51 am

Chronos wrote:I've been told the frothing is actually bubbles being produced by the chemical reaction between the solvent and the copper in the bore, and to use the foaming of the solvent as an indicator the solvent has activated and started working.

That's the spiel I got as well. "Activating" it.

TBH though, soak a copper fouled barrel in it for 10 minutes - frothed or not - and all the crap comes out regardless.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by kurl » 25 May 2014, 8:55 am

Lorgar wrote:soak a copper fouled barrel in it for 10 minutes - frothed or not - and all the crap comes out regardless.

Works for me.

Wet patch through 2-3 times and sit for 10 minutes.

Brush and dry patch it out.

Dunno if that's "right" but it seems to work.
kurl
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by padaro » 25 May 2014, 8:57 am

Sounds like I'm doing the same as most.

Looks clean, wasn't sure if I was doing something back for barrel life or whatever by not 'activating' it. Spreading a thin layer I couldn't see that was building up or something.

Not broke, don't fix it I guess.
padaro
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Pilch » 25 May 2014, 8:59 am

The few instructions I've read on bottles just say patch it through...

Maybe different for different formulas?
Pilch
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by pmomd » 25 May 2014, 9:01 am

Ruger do a video on how to clean their rifles.

They just say patch, nothing about frothy brush.

I just do that for both of mine. Ruger would know better than me...
CZ 550 Varmint in .308 Winchester.
Ruger Hawkeye in 30-06 Springfield.
pmomd
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 25 May 2014, 9:59 am

Some say that the solvent cleans the bottom of the barrel better than the top because the solvent runs down and settles in the bottom of the barrel and has more chance to work on dissolving copper as a result (I think they use a bore scope to confirm this fact), I guess you could give it a clean and once your happy clean it again and turn the rifle upside down and let it sit again for a while to get the copper that hasn't had as much contact time with the solvent?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Kipper » 26 May 2014, 6:21 pm

Dunno about that. To do it properly I suppose you'd then be required to turn it on both sides as well...

Diagonals if you're being real fussy.

I dunno, you're not trying to drown it. Patch it as normal IMO.
Kipper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by bigfellascott » 26 May 2014, 7:58 pm

Kipper wrote:Dunno about that. To do it properly I suppose you'd then be required to turn it on both sides as well...

Diagonals if you're being real fussy.

I dunno, you're not trying to drown it. Patch it as normal IMO.

From my understanding its only the top of the barrel that seems to still contain some tracers of copper (one of the fella's has been using a borescope) for a while apparently and this has been a common phenomenon according to him.

Can't confirm or deny as I don't own a bore scope it I think there could be something in it.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Kipper » 27 May 2014, 2:10 pm

Hmm ok.

Not how I'd have thought it would go but I don't have a bore scope to dispute it with either so there you go :)
Kipper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by padaro » 27 May 2014, 2:11 pm

bigfellascott wrote:I guess you could give it a clean and once your happy clean it again and turn the rifle upside down and let it sit again for a while to get the copper that hasn't had as much contact time with the solvent?

Interesting idea.

Too much effort though :lol:

I'll stick with what I'm doing :)
padaro
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to Centerfire rifles