Questions on ammunition from 1912

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Questions on ammunition from 1912

Post by Mac123 » 12 Oct 2023, 12:00 pm

Hi, new here. I'm looking for information on the use of expanding bullets for hunting or culling in Australia in the 1900s.

I understand that such bullets were forbidden for use in the military - and I'm looking at 1912 in particular - but were they widely used in hunting?

I need to know if a 7x57mmR fired from a Mauser 1895 could be modified to expand on impact? How is it done?

If anyone can help … much appreciated :?: :)
Mac123
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Questions on ammunition from 1912

Post by JohnV » 20 Oct 2023, 5:47 pm

Buy a meplat trimmer and cut the nose back to about .065 diameter that should make it expand .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bladeracer » 20 Oct 2023, 5:51 pm

Mac123 wrote:Hi, new here. I'm looking for information on the use of expanding bullets for hunting or culling in Australia in the 1900s.

I understand that such bullets were forbidden for use in the military - and I'm looking at 1912 in particular - but were they widely used in hunting?

I need to know if a 7x57mmR fired from a Mauser 1895 could be modified to expand on impact? How is it done?

If anyone can help … much appreciated :?: :)

Filing the points off to expose the lead was the most common way I think. You could also drill a hole into the end after filing the point off. Or just pull the bullet and push it in backwards. I tried all three with 6.5x55mm FMJ ammo when I was a kid.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 20 Oct 2023, 6:18 pm

Softnose bullets were common in hunting ammo even in 1912, but not permitted in military ammo for those nations who were signatory to the Hague Convention of 1899. There is plenty of evidence of soldiers in all armies cutting the tips of their bullets even into WW2, and of civilians also modifying surplus ammo. A friend of mine who culled buffalo in the NT in the 50's told me they simply used as issued 303 MkVII FMJ for everything including geese. For your 7x57 (I assume 7x57R is a typo?), just tip the projectile as others said or reload with a modern hunting projectile.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 21 Oct 2023, 7:57 am

There is a 7x57 rimmed .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 21 Oct 2023, 10:58 am

JohnV wrote:There is a 7x57 rimmed .

Yep, been around for yonks
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 21 Oct 2023, 10:59 am

No1Mk3 wrote:Softnose bullets were common in hunting ammo even in 1912, but not permitted in military ammo for those nations who were signatory to the Hague Convention of 1899. There is plenty of evidence of soldiers in all armies cutting the tips of their bullets even into WW2, and of civilians also modifying surplus ammo. A friend of mine who culled buffalo in the NT in the 50's told me they simply used as issued 303 MkVII FMJ for everything including geese. For your 7x57 (I assume 7x57R is a typo?), just tip the projectile as others said or reload with a modern hunting projectile.

Some good info there
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 21 Oct 2023, 11:11 am

JohnV wrote:There is a 7x57 rimmed .

Yes, I had one. Not so much found in the 1895 Mauser though, usually single shot or break-open rifles. Why I thought OP may have simply made a typo as he mentioned shooting a 1895, if not I would like to see the modification to shoot rimmed as i have 100 7x65R cases which need a future.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles