Brno ZKK 601?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Brno ZKK 601?

Post by jwai86 » 16 Oct 2023, 8:57 am

On Saturday afternoon, I went to a local dealer to purchase some .223 ammo, but saw a used Brno ZKK 601 in .308 with a Monte Carlo stock and set trigger going for $950.

I had a brief look at it, but the shop was about to close for the day. I put down a deposit to ensure it will still be around for a closer inspection with an acquaintance who has owned several of those rifles.

I've been informed that the ZKK 60x rifles are quite good hunting rifles, but does anyone here own one that can describe their experience with it?
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Brno ZKK 601?

Post by deye243 » 16 Oct 2023, 4:21 pm

I had a ZKK601 in 243 a 67 mod from memory it was very accurate as in just about anything you fed It was 1.2 or way under for 3 shots it never changed poi it only had one problem and that was a very tight neck as in after loading brass 3 times you could not push a pill in the mouth of a fired case even once fired had a slide fit that would not let the pill drop out .
It accounted for hundreds of fox's and a lot of other pests then I sold it to a friend cheap so he could rebarrel it .
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by yoshie » 16 Oct 2023, 9:29 pm

I have one that was in 243, I shot the barrel out and had it re-barreled to 260 rem. It's my favourite rifle.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by deanp100 » 18 Oct 2023, 5:31 pm

I’ve have them in 222 and 222 magnum and had a 308. that I sold. They are designed as hunting rifles and they do it very well. Very accurate with everything fed into them. Very strong, smooth and they just feel right. Maybe not as pretty as an old Sako but just as capable.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by jpsauer88 » 19 Oct 2023, 7:51 am

very nice rifles indeed. I know you have not asked for a recommendation, but if your into the classic rifles with double square bridge control round feed actions perhaps look at the cz 550. The CZ 550 was a dramatic improvement (IN MY OPINION) over the zkk601. Much better trigger and with a smoother functioning action. Basically a refined zkk 601. After the CZ 550 it was all downhill. But if you can get your hands on a CZ 550 go for that!
jpsauer88
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by jwai86 » 19 Oct 2023, 3:03 pm

jpsauer88 wrote:very nice rifles indeed. I know you have not asked for a recommendation, but if your into the classic rifles with double square bridge control round feed actions perhaps look at the cz 550. The CZ 550 was a dramatic improvement (IN MY OPINION) over the zkk601. Much better trigger and with a smoother functioning action. Basically a refined zkk 601. After the CZ 550 it was all downhill. But if you can get your hands on a CZ 550 go for that!

I previously made enquiries about a CZ 550 Predator in .308 that is also being sold for $950, but I wasn't keen on the Realtree camouflage, and the price would be higher after adding interstate shipping and transfer costs.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by jpsauer88 » 18 Dec 2023, 7:02 pm

jwai86 wrote:
jpsauer88 wrote:very nice rifles indeed. I know you have not asked for a recommendation, but if your into the classic rifles with double square bridge control round feed actions perhaps look at the cz 550. The CZ 550 was a dramatic improvement (IN MY OPINION) over the zkk601. Much better trigger and with a smoother functioning action. Basically a refined zkk 601. After the CZ 550 it was all downhill. But if you can get your hands on a CZ 550 go for that!

I previously made enquiries about a CZ 550 Predator in .308 that is also being sold for $950, but I wasn't keen on the Realtree camouflage, and the price would be higher after adding interstate shipping and transfer costs.

Settle on a nice one
I hate the camo as well! Theres a few nice ones up on ssaagunsales and usedguns too. Try your luck there.
jpsauer88
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by jwai86 » 04 Feb 2024, 4:44 pm

If it's of any interest, I purchased the previously mentioned .308 Brno ZKK 601 during December last year. I still wonder if I should have gone with something cheaper and more practical like a Howa, but what's done is done. At least it continues the Czech theme I've got going in my gun safe with my CZ 75B, CZ 457, and eventually a CZ 527.

In the time since I took the above photo, I've mounted a ZeroTech Vengeance 3-12x40 scope to the rifle using Warne fixed rings, but did try using the iron sights before that. That was fun but not too accurate given my difficulty with bringing the front sight bead into focus using my non-dominant right eye.

Learning to shoot .308 hasn't come to me that easily, with recoil and heat build-up being much more significant issues compared to .22LR or .223. I haven't incurred any significant bruising, but I started using a shooting rest and a rear squeeze bag at the bench after realising that a bipod alone would not be enough to manage the increased recoil.

I also found out the hard way that I can't shoot my ZKK 601 at the same pace as I do with my .223 Howa Mini Action. The barrel sprayed rounds all over the place after I shot 20 rounds as five three round groups and one five round group in a relatively short time. The number of shots you can take within a certain time before the barrel overheats and loses accuracy is completely different.

The rifle is currently with the shop that I bought it from because the extractor needs to be repaired or replaced. Ejecting spent cases is currently very inconsistent no matter how hard I work the bolt. Pulling the bolt back hard sometimes launches the case as expected, but more often than not, the case barely makes it out of the action. Further inspection revealed that the the extractor claw barely grips live rounds, and doesn't grip my A-Zoom .308 snap caps at all.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles