One of thoses days.

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

One of thoses days.

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 09 Nov 2023, 8:48 pm

So after the last couple of months of slowly piecing together a new 308 heavy barrel rifle, glass bedded the action (always a scary experience) trigger spring. And lastly swapping out a 5-25 burris XTR 2 onto the rifle tried a diffrent procedure for setting eye releif and ensuring cant wont be a issue. 15 rounds for a 100m zero and after smashing some numbers into stelok hitting steel at 500m repeatedly.

Probably the best ever dial in with a rifle ove ever had.

What horror stories do you guy have ive had scopes slide back in the past with shop set setups. 50 rounds and still not on target.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Re: One of thoses days.

Post by animalpest » 10 Nov 2023, 3:18 pm

I never have shops set up my rifles. They may not be up to my standards, but its probable fine for the new shooters.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bigpete » 10 Nov 2023, 3:30 pm

I spent 5 years and hundreds of rounds of ammo trying to get a double rifle regulated,finally achieved succes ( so I thought ) took it hunting goats,and missed a broadside shot at 30m.

I sold it not long after
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by GQshayne » 10 Nov 2023, 7:41 pm

My father had a BLR made in Japan, which was a lemon. It was the model just before the Lightning, so a long time ago now, in the 1990's. It would not shoot, despite trying to tailor loads for it. It was the cause of a few ruined huntiung trips it was that bad. He missed a pig one day at close range, could not believe it. This had happened before and he blamed himself, but not this time. We stuck a stick in the track and he fired a shot over a rest at it. The bullet hit the ground 5 metres in front of the stick. Dad said maybe he was getting too old and he may be past it. BS I said, get the Tikka .222 out - he knocked the stick over first shot.

After we got home he had the rifle inspected locally. They said it needed a new barrel. Dad said it can't need a new barrel, as it was already new. They stood by their diagnosis, so dad sent the rifle back. Eventually it was replaced with another one, which was the same!!!!!!! Dad sent it back for them to assess. In due course the report was the gunsmith had stated "couldn't hit an elephants bum at 50 yards". He was advised the smith had "a drum full of barrels" from these rifles.

They sent him a third BLR, a new model Lightning. But dad had given up and sold it unfired. Bought a Sako 75 and started hitting what he was aiming at.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 10 Nov 2023, 7:49 pm

I tried to sight in a Stirling 22 mag on my dads farm. I gave up . Could not hit anything with it. If I would have pointed it up at the sky and fired it would have missed the sky
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 10 Nov 2023, 7:51 pm

I swapped it like for like. They asked me how much I wanted for it ? I told them I would be ripping them off if they gave me one dollar for it
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 11 Nov 2023, 3:01 pm

Have a howa 1500 sporter that i bought a few years back that was a shocker out of the box missed a shot at probably 10m i thought id made a huge mistake buying a howa.

Glass bedded that action and forend and went back to square one. Much better now one of my go to rifles for hunting that was sort of my intro into setting things up myself and yes ships these days will put them together but to what level who knows.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by mickb » 11 Nov 2023, 5:33 pm

seems to be more things go wrong than they used to. These days you get an item and feel like you won the lottery if it works right and doesnt need warranty return. Millenials talk about customer service being a great warranty return, you see them say it on every second youtube vid. In the day customer service just meant the salesman behaving in a pleasant manner while he sold you the goods, after that you never had to deal with him again.

Rifle wise worst experience was a Chiappa double badger. Misfires with the 22LR barrel, firing pin off centre, warranty job, got it back and it still couldnt beat a 4" group at 50 yards with anything and velocitor brass wouldnt extract after firing, the gun couldnt handle the pressures of HV ammo for some reason
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bigpete » 11 Nov 2023, 6:39 pm

mickb wrote:seems to be more things go wrong than they used to. These days you get an item and feel like you won the lottery if it works right and doesnt need warranty return. Millenials talk about customer service being a great warranty return, you see them say it on every second youtube vid. In the day customer service just meant the salesman behaving in a pleasant manner while he sold you the goods, after that you never had to deal with him again.

Rifle wise worst experience was a Chiappa double badger. Misfires with the 22LR barrel, firing pin off centre, warranty job, got it back and it still couldnt beat a 4" group at 50 yards with anything and velocitor brass wouldnt extract after firing, the gun couldnt handle the pressures of HV ammo for some reason

Those double badgers are a bucket of crap
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by mickb » 11 Nov 2023, 7:56 pm

Yeah they were and its a pity as they are such an attractive little gun. Fold completely in half, got it all over savage combos for speed and portability.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bigpete » 11 Nov 2023, 8:20 pm

mickb wrote:Yeah they were and its a pity as they are such an attractive little gun. Fold completely in half, got it all over savage combos for speed and portability.

Mine was accurate enough but that's as far as it went
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by RunRabbit » 11 Nov 2023, 8:46 pm

Howa 1500 in a hogue stock. I went through boxes of ammo before it became apparent that the stock flexes too much to shoot off a bench.

I hated the rifle so much by that point that I just sold it. Couldn't stomach the thought of buying a new stock and going through more boxes of ammo if it was something wrong sith the barrel instead.
RunRabbit
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to Centerfire rifles