bought a new 44 mag rossi 92

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

bought a new 44 mag rossi 92

Post by mickb » 11 Nov 2023, 12:58 am

The fit and finish is a lot better on these things these days. This is the new batch just coming into Australia now with the 24" hex barrel. Only one problem is it wont feed my 44 special handloads which is a bit of a deal killer for me. Ive been lucky with rossi's so far, 4 out of 5 have digested all special and magnum lengths both in the 357's and 44 I have owned. This one is the first to fail digesting the shorter special cartridges. Could run just 44mag or seat out 44 special bullets but I like them to run my regular handloads so I will be moving it along.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Re: bought a new 44 mag rossi 92

Post by Pighunter » 11 Nov 2023, 9:08 pm

mickb wrote:The fit and finish is a lot better on these things these days. This is the new batch just coming into Australia now with the 24" hex barrel. Only one problem is it wont feed my 44 special handloads which is a bit of a deal killer for me. Ive been lucky with rossi's so far, 4 out of 5 have digested all special and magnum lengths both in the 357's and 44 I have owned. This one is the first to fail digesting the shorter special cartridges. Could run just 44mag or seat out 44 special bullets but I like them to run my regular handloads so I will be moving it along.

Do you know why? Is it catching as it chambers? or not feeding up the cartridge guide?
Pighunter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by bigpete » 12 Nov 2023, 12:56 pm

mickb wrote:The fit and finish is a lot better on these things these days. This is the new batch just coming into Australia now with the 24" hex barrel. Only one problem is it wont feed my 44 special handloads which is a bit of a deal killer for me. Ive been lucky with rossi's so far, 4 out of 5 have digested all special and magnum lengths both in the 357's and 44 I have owned. This one is the first to fail digesting the shorter special cartridges. Could run just 44mag or seat out 44 special bullets but I like them to run my regular handloads so I will be moving it along.

I'd keep it ! What's the point in running the 44 special rounds anyway ?
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by womble » 12 Nov 2023, 2:00 pm

It’s a bloody fine looking rifle in the 24 octagonal. I was tempted to grab one myself.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by mickb » 12 Nov 2023, 11:18 pm

bigpete wrote:

I'd keep it ! What's the point in running the 44 special rounds anyway ?

Bout 15% less pistol powder per shot mate at any given pressure level, and an extra 2-3 in the mag tube. 44 isnt overly thirsty but with zero power avialable in stores 18 grains of 2400 is going to last longer than 21-22gns. Also have a large number preloaded for those two reasons which run well in my 20" so I dont want to pull bullets and start over.
Last edited by mickb on 12 Nov 2023, 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by mickb » 12 Nov 2023, 11:20 pm

Pighunter wrote:

Do you know why? Is it catching as it chambers? or not feeding up the cartridge guide?

Seems to be doing both actually mate, mostly when cycling at speed .
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Pighunter » 13 Nov 2023, 9:59 am

mickb wrote:Seems to be doing both actually mate, mostly when cycling at speed .

It may just need to be broken in. My Citadel 92 broke a cartridge guide and had to go away from repairs. It went from cycling anything regardless of speed to jamming if you did it too slowly, after a hundred or so round through it since then it's slicked up again.
The new Rossi's seem to have a better fit and finish but have more of a break in time. I personally would stick with it to see how it goes, but obviously it's your call if you want to move it on and try again.
Pighunter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Return to Centerfire rifles