4570 gov distance

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: 4570 gov distance

Post by bigpete » 13 Dec 2023, 9:09 am

I found the 44 mag a brilliant cartridge on medium game
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by wrenchman » 15 Dec 2023, 12:11 pm

my son hunts with a 4570 and loves it if you hand load you can do a lot with it.
if that is what you like i say go with it but if you have never shot one like has been said try to find some one that would let you shoot it
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by straightshooter » 01 Jan 2024, 8:48 am

I came across this youtube jibberer who gives a reasonably fair assessment of a 45/70 but I won't be trading-in my 444.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy-lnxTnFWU
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 01 Jan 2024, 1:13 pm

straightshooter wrote:I came across this youtube jibberer who gives a reasonably fair assessment of a 45/70 but I won't be trading-in my 444.

Interesting test, but it plays to the 45-70’s strengths. Do the same test at 200 or 300 and the 308 would overtake the 45 in my opinion
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 01 Jan 2024, 3:47 pm

straightshooter wrote:I came across this youtube jibberer who gives a reasonably fair assessment of a 45/70 but I won't be trading-in my 444.

Did you have the courtesy to wipe it off after?
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by zbenga » 04 Jan 2024, 10:58 am

bigrich wrote:
bigpete wrote:Ah,the 45-70.....too big for 90% of Australian game,too small to be a reliable stopping rifle. Still fun but I was always so disappointed in mine. Much prefer my 35 whelen

yup :thumbsup:

350 grain with a medium load will not stop what in Australia? Most new Marlins, Ruger made, are sub moa with FTX bullets if you can shoot or have a 1x4 scope at 100m and if you hand load to about 1900fps there is nothing in The Australian continent that will come at you and take more 5 steps after a well placed shot at anything up to 150meters

I hope shooters don't confuse plinking rounds to hunting rounds, the bullet does make a difference. If your shot goes straight through a pig you're missing fps, add some powder and speed an it will expand a lot quicker fi using jacketed projectiles, if using a 405 grain coated led bullet then 1400fps will knock anything down in Australia, literally and give you enough time to work that lever and deliver another ballistic brick just in case it still wants to get up

Also when hand loading please keep in mind that dealing depth matters.... play with it until you find a node which will give you around .7 MOA and lock it in, the new Marlins are fantastic rifles
zbenga
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 15 Jan 2024, 6:54 pm

Definition of a stopping cartridge is a .458 projectile travelling at 2100fps with a 500gn pill.
A 45-70 doesn't even come close.
We're not talking about hitting something and it still being able to come at you,we're talking about it getting hit then hitting the deck
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 15 Jan 2024, 8:46 pm

zbenga wrote:

I hope shooters don't confuse plinking rounds to hunting rounds, the bullet does make a difference. If your shot goes straight through a pig you're missing fps, add some powder and speed an it will expand a lot quicker fi using jacketed projectiles, if using a 405 grain coated led bullet then 1400fps will knock anything down in Australia, literally and give you enough time to work that lever and deliver another ballistic brick just in case it still wants to get up

Also when hand loading please keep in mind that dealing depth matters.... play with it until you find a node which will give you around .7 MOA and lock it in, the new Marlins are fantastic rifles

I had a 45-70 marlin and cva stainless scout . I handloaded fast with 2207 and 300gn Speer. On smallish pigs it’d punch a nice clean hole and the pig would run off . Hit the shoulder on a big pig and the bone turns into shrapnel and the projectile gets enough resistance to expand. A 308 or 30-06 with a ballistic tip works better all round IMHO . And retains more energy at distance. The 45-70 brick drops off energy quick as range increases. Useable range with the 45 depends on projectiles and game size as to how far it’s adequate.
It’s a shame 356win and 35rem aren’t more freely available reloading wise with cases and projectile choice. I think these cartridges are more suited to what people intend to use the 45-70 for in Australia. Just my thoughts, to each their own
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by zbenga » 29 Jan 2024, 7:34 pm

testing 300grain Sierra HP FN with 2207 vs Speer in 300 and 350 grain and I'll let you know how it goes in a month or two

so far the Speer seems to be the right diameter but it sits quite far back, looks like trimming the case would be ideal, I don't think they are meant for the 45-70, they are the hot-cor ones so my guess they need a lot of fps to expand or made for big game. It does feed a cycles ok thou.

so far from just plinking with the Sierra with 30 grains of 2207 looks like it might be a winner for a lot of things, mashes pretty well and very light (it is a light load), once the chrono comes back I'll be able to test the rest and take it out

I love the 45-70 for what it is, light load it and will drop most things in 100m, have a few rounds with more power if you want to drop bigger pigs but with a spicy load not much lives, also like I said from the looks of things the Sierra 300 grains hollow flat nose seems to be a really really good pill
zbenga
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles