Load strength, and rifle shooting low or high

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Load strength, and rifle shooting low or high

Post by Obie73 » 06 Dec 2023, 3:07 pm

This is possibly a dopey question to ask. All things being equal, except for MV, lower velocity rounds generally shoot lower, and higher velocity rounds shoot higher, is this correct? I've been out to the range and fired a Winchester 1873 in .357 mag. I had 50 rounds that were starting loads, that I loaded using the data in the Nick Harvey reloading book, but it was 2207 powder instead of the specified 2205.

The rifle shot significantly low, and I had to put the buckhorn sight ramp up to nearly its highest setting. My question is, if I use loads more towards maximum loads, this should result in the rifle shooting significantly higher? I was shooting at paper targets at 25m and 50m ranges. The reason I'm asking is that I just read on a US forum that sometimes lower velocity loads actually shoot higher because the bullet is in the barrel longer and recoil makes the muzzle rise up, resulting in the rifle shooting higher. Anyway, thought I would ask. I'm pretty new to all this. I'm hoping the front sight doesn't need to be swapped out for a lower one. I'm happy to use more powerful loads.
Obie73
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: Load strength, and rifle shooting low or high

Post by Blr243 » 06 Dec 2023, 4:10 pm

Barrel harmonics / oscillation / whipping could also b a factor
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Obie73 » 06 Dec 2023, 4:39 pm

Sure, I hadn't thought of that. It's a round barrel but it's a pretty heavy barrel by the look of it. Nice and chunky and thick. Don't know if that would reduce such factors.
Obie73
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Obie73 » 06 Dec 2023, 4:45 pm

I forgot to say there was also a bit of unburnt powder left in the cases. Maybe on average six of the little 'dowel-shaped' bits of 2207 in each brass case after firing. Maybe I just need a more powerful load. Just on visual inspection prior to seating the projectile (140 gr Hornady XTP) there looked like there would be a bit of a gap, possibly two mm but I'm guessing, between the top of the powder and the base of the bullet in the finished round.
Obie73
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 06 Dec 2023, 4:54 pm

Obie73 wrote:This is possibly a dopey question to ask. All things being equal, except for MV, lower velocity rounds generally shoot lower, and higher velocity rounds shoot higher, is this correct? I've been out to the range and fired a Winchester 1873 in .357 mag. I had 50 rounds that were starting loads, that I loaded using the data in the Nick Harvey reloading book, but it was 2207 powder instead of the specified 2205.

The rifle shot significantly low, and I had to put the buckhorn sight ramp up to nearly its highest setting. My question is, if I use loads more towards maximum loads, this should result in the rifle shooting significantly higher? I was shooting at paper targets at 25m and 50m ranges. The reason I'm asking is that I just read on a US forum that sometimes lower velocity loads actually shoot higher because the bullet is in the barrel longer and recoil makes the muzzle rise up, resulting in the rifle shooting higher. Anyway, thought I would ask. I'm pretty new to all this. I'm hoping the front sight doesn't need to be swapped out for a lower one. I'm happy to use more powerful loads.

I haven't found it to be a given, harmonics within the rifle and barrel affect where the bullet ends up.
If you shoot a proper ladder test (single rounds at 300m) you'll see the bullets can move up and down the page as you increase the charge.
Significantly reduced loads will invariably drop lower than full-power ones. So yes, increase the velocity closer to factory levels if you want the sights to be close to factory settings.
Last edited by bladeracer on 07 Dec 2023, 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 06 Dec 2023, 4:57 pm

Obie73 wrote:I forgot to say there was also a bit of unburnt powder left in the cases. Maybe on average six of the little 'dowel-shaped' bits of 2207 in each brass case after firing. Maybe I just need a more powerful load. Just on visual inspection prior to seating the projectile (140 gr Hornady XTP) there looked like there would be a bit of a gap, possibly two mm but I'm guessing, between the top of the powder and the base of the bullet in the finished round.

Can you borrow a chronograph? That's the simplest way to build a load that is close to factory velocities.

I watched InRangeTV's video last week of Deadeye and have a hankering to make up a pile of .38, .357, .44Mag and .30-30 and start practicing that style of comp.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bello » 07 Dec 2023, 8:40 am

Hi Mate

I use 2205 in my 357 pistols and there is always un-burnt powder left in the barrel.
It's not a clean burning powder. Having said that, the 357 magnum pistols I load for are hot loads and they still don't burn all the powder.

I know it's near impossible to get pistol powder these days, but I spoke with a fellow re-loader and he uses powders he gets from America and he tells me they burn cleaner then AR2205.

AR2207 burns a little slower than AR2205, I would use this for heavier projectiles. (But i don't have and AR2207).

My 2c
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles