Chassis for Howa 1500 .223

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Chassis for Howa 1500 .223

Post by Total_immortal » 06 Jan 2024, 4:10 pm

Hi guys looking for a chassis or stock for a Howa 1500 in .223, either SA or Mini action doesn't really bother me.

Main things I'm looking for are light weight, pistol grip and able to take AR Pmag's. Any suggestions?

Also looking to keep it somewhat affordable otherwise I'd be better off saving for the CZ 600 Trail.

The SCSA TSP H looked good but takes expensive AICS mags and requires modifications to the bolt stop.

The Howa Excl lite stock looks the goods but hard to find, seems to be out of stock everywhere.

The MDT LSS looks good but expensive. The MDT Oryx seems to be the default but it's heavy and doesn't take Pmag's.

Any other suggestions? Cheers!
Total_immortal
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Chassis for Howa 1500 .223

Post by JohnV » 06 Jan 2024, 5:50 pm

There is so many choices and the construction of them keeps changing . I can't keep up .
The one thing I say is try and get a chassis that is one solid piece from the bi-pod mount to behind the pistol grip . In a 223 it does not need to be too heavy and rigid . I looked at the CZ Trail and it looks tinny and uncomfortable not that the 223 has any real recoil but good repeatable stock fit is also important .
Magazines are a pain in the butt and don't last as well as a hinged floor plate will .
I like the MDT ACC Premier Rifle Chassis System , it has good weight and fit customization ability but it also takes the AICS mags . If your going to carry it around far more than prone shooting then the lighter ones would be best but off a bi-pod or rest a bit of extra weight is good . It's a hard decision when you can't handle and inspect all the products .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Re: Chassis for Howa 1500 .223

Post by Grant » 18 Feb 2024, 1:02 pm

I have recently built a Howa Mini action in 300 BLK. I have it in an MDT Oryx stock and yes, it is heavier than I planned on but extremely stable when shooting off a bi pod.
I mostly shoot ferals, in particular foxes, cats' and wild dogs and so far it has been more successful than I had hoped.
Grant
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Return to Centerfire rifles