.223 bolt rifle reccomendations?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

.223 bolt rifle reccomendations?

Post by GreenNeck » 07 Jan 2024, 7:37 pm

So I'm currently in the market for a bolt 223. I'll be using it for mostly target/varmint shooting with the occasional hunting trip.
I'd like well made, robust rifle that feels solid to hold.
I prefer laminate/synthetic for durability and don't really have a budget in mind but nothing stupid $$ wise.

Thanks in advance for your knowledge and reccomendations, I'm new to the sport and the community has been nothing but friendly and welcoming!
GreenNeck
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Re: .223 bolt rifle reccomendations?

Post by bladeracer » 07 Jan 2024, 8:12 pm

GreenNeck wrote:So I'm currently in the market for a bolt 223. I'll be using it for mostly target/varmint shooting with the occasional hunting trip.
I prefer laminate/synthetic for durability and don't really have a budget in mind but nothing stupid $$ wise.

Thanks in advance for your knowledge and recomendations, I'm new to the sport and the community has been nothing but friendly and welcoming!

Have you looked at the Ruger American Predator? They just released a Gen2 model but I don't know if we'll see that here for a while.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 07 Jan 2024, 8:24 pm

I rate the Tikka super varmint for the adjustable comb on top of a great barrel, action and trigger. There’s a very good chance it’ll be an absolute tack driver on the range.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 07 Jan 2024, 10:56 pm

Heavy barrell I think instead of sporter profile
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by flashman » 08 Jan 2024, 9:25 am

Yes my vote for the Tikka...................... :thumbsup:
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Billo » 08 Jan 2024, 10:06 am

Howa Mini 223 20 inch Heavy Barrel, had 2 of them still got 1 in the safe. Will run rings around a Tikka Sporter and the Tikka Varmint will cost you more than double the price

Short and handy barrel a bonus, genuine 5 shot 0.5 MOA barrels.
22lr, 20 Hornady Hornet, 6mm ARC, 270 Win, 308 Win, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 S&W
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Peter988 » 08 Jan 2024, 10:08 am

Mate has a Tika. I have a Sauer. Both are extremely accurate, particularly with hand loads. Sauer is cheaper if expense is a concern. I like my triggers really light. Mate has an aftermarket two stage on the Tikka. That’s really good for long shots where you just want to ‘caress’ the trigger. I have the Sauer at 1.9 lb which is the lowest I can adjust That would be fine for most people but I would like to have the option of less. Unfortunately there are no after market triggers available. That’s the only draw back I would say between the two brands.
Peter988
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Shootermick » 08 Jan 2024, 8:25 pm

I’ve got 3.
Lithgow LA102, shoots fantastic. Fairly heavy, but that makes it easier to hold nice and steady, synthetic stock. Can’t really fault it, unless the weight doesn’t suit your purpose.
Bergara BA 13. Synthetic stock. Single shot. Shoots just as well as the Lithgow. Single shot probably doesn’t interest too many people, but I love it. Short overall length makes it perfect to throw in the ute around the farm for that odd opportunistic shot while cruising around at work. But you’re probably not going to take a single shot spotlighting.
Ruger Ranch in a Magpul stock. Bought this one to mount my thermal on, the Lithgow was a bit cumbersome to manoeuvre around in the ute without hitting the roof, dash etc while trying to get it out the window in the pitch black night, this Ruger has a barrel just over 16” long. Haven’t had the chance to use it much yet, but early impressions are that it groups well, nice to handle and should be perfect for my thermal.
Just my opinions on my own rifles, but even with 223, I couldn’t find just the one rifle to achieve all my different shooting scenarios.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Bello » 09 Jan 2024, 5:22 am

Hi Mate
my list of 223, I would buy
Sako
Tikka

My preference being for a Sako 85.
Sako have a Varmint laminated stainless, (I have one) with a 1 in 12 twist rate.
There is a 1 in 8 twist rate if you want to shoot heavier projectiles.
The 1 in 12 twist is good with the 55gr V-Max loads, if you hand load. Very accurate. Out to modest ranges, I restrict my hunting to within 200 meters. I have a set trigger on mine, allows for fun at the range.
Being a laminated stainless, it can get heavy if you walk around a lot when hunting.

I also have Sako 85 Finnlight, Its light to carry, when you want to walk around.

I also have a Tikka in 204 Ruger. Lovely accurate rifle. But my preference is for the Sako.
There are second hand rifles for sale which may save you a few $$.

Also, if I can recommend the ADI 223 ammunition, (If you don't reload your own ammunition) both the 55gr Blitzking and the 55gr Gameking are very accurate.

my 2c
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Jorlcrin » 09 Jan 2024, 6:42 am

GreenNeck wrote:So I'm currently in the market for a bolt 223. I'll be using it for mostly target/varmint shooting with the occasional hunting trip.

Thanks in advance for your knowledge and reccomendations, I'm new to the sport and the community has been nothing but friendly and welcoming!

I bought a Tikka T3x Compact Tactical Rifle [CTR] 18 months ago, and have found it ticked all my boxes:-
I wanted Stainless/Synthetic
I wanted a threaded barrel muzzle (CTR has 5/8"x24)
I wanted a compact/short barrel for ease getting in/out of the Landcruiser (CTR has 20")
I wanted a box magazine (10 Round)
I wanted a barrel twist rate fast enough for higher weight projectiles (CTR came with 1:8")
I wanted a heavier barrel than a hunter (CTR seems to be somewhere close to varmint profile)

So, the 3 'negatives' (If I could call them that) are as follows:-
1). Synthetic Factory Stock isnt adjustable
2). Personally, I'd prefer an action where I can cycle it with the safety on(To remove a live round) - something the T3/T3x actions cant do.
3). Compared to our Howa 1500 Stainless/Synthetic .223, the CTR is notably heavier.

But for me, the 'negatives' dont detract from what a sweet little rifle the CTR has turned out to be.
Compact, solid, easy to get in/out of the ute, and reaches out and touches stuff..
Since I moved over to heavier projectiles (now using 75gn Rexem BTHP F-Bomb pills), the CTR has claimed a LOT of hot pork, but is just as happy punching paper.
Reloading for the CTR has turned out to be simple, with it happily digesting all factory and reloaded ammo without issues.

I purchased a couple of nice after-market 10-round alloy mags for it, which were cheaper than the factory steel mags, and better finished.
I also fitted one of those adapter that mounts to the front QD sling mount on the stock, and gives me a short section of rail under the front of the stock.
That gives me the option for either a Rail-mount Bipod(or rail-mount torch when persecuting rabbits at night).

Projects I'll get around to are to maybe replace the stock with something more adjustable, and lighten the trigger pull slightly.

There are 3 rifles that would be my bare minimum of essentials; my CTR, my Ruger Precision .308, and my little 10/22.
Jorlcrin
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 09 Jan 2024, 11:26 am

CTR is a great little gun. I shot a queen's with one a few years back in the newly invented "SH" category, and she performed admirably up against some proper varmint rifles. Cleaned a couple of stages with it. But it let me down on the 800m mound; quite a few unexplained magpies. I put it down to the lack of velocity you'd normally get from a 24-26". Also as you mentioned the lack of the adjustable comb led to a strained neck with a tall long range scope. That's exactly why I like the tikka super varmint - longer and has the adjustable comb.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by trevor68 » 09 Jan 2024, 3:51 pm

I love my Weatherby 20" Heavy Barrel. Yes I realise it's a Howa, but I like the stock, and I love how slick the action is.
trevor68
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by GreenNeck » 11 Jan 2024, 6:09 am

Thank you all for the responses! your information has been extremely valuable in helping me with decision making.
So far i'm interested in the TIKKA CTR, Lithgow 223, Howa and MVP patrol ill be going to my local Gun-shop to give them a hold soon!

Anyone else in South Australia have recommendations on shops for buying Ammo Cheap?
"No i can't load it myself :(

And again, Thank you for your responses and insight!
GreenNeck
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by in2anity » 11 Jan 2024, 8:02 am

GreenNeck wrote:Anyone else in South Australia have recommendations on shops for buying Ammo Cheap?
"No i can't load it myself :(

I always say, make a decision about sourcing your ammo before buying a gun. New fad guns sit in wholesalers, waiting for the koolaid drinkers. Reasonably priced ammunition on the other hand... yeah not so much.

Considering you aren't going to handload, 223/5.56 is the right train of thought, and can sometimes be picked up cheap(ish). Also the 223 is just the right amount of caliber for medium distance without breaking the bank. There's no point in burning 45gr of powder every pop if you'll rarely shoot past 500m.

55gr 223 ammo does fine out to 200m and further if the wind is behaving. 69gr+ is better for 300m particulary when the wind is fishing around.

The truth is, you won't be getting much better that $1/round for factory 223 anymore. But this is a far sight better than $2/round for match 308 let alone fad calibers like the 6.5mm.

Honestly, for target shooting, I tend to stick to Sierra brand or better. If I were you I'd pop over to the SARA shop and pick up the 900 can of 55gr gamekings:

https://sarastore.com.au/shop/ammunitio ... -900pk-can

Then get your nice 223 rifle to eat it. Tikka/Sako barrels are the goods and let you marvel at your tiny clusters. Great for bragging on social media.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 11 Jan 2024, 8:15 am

Bit of a stretch calling 6.5 mm calibres as a “fad”. They seem as popular as 7 mm cases. Do you consider 20 Cal cases as a fad?

Also I am surprised they let you shoot magpies…….
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 11 Jan 2024, 8:33 am

SCJ429 wrote:Bit of a stretch calling 6.5 mm calibres as a “fad”. They seem as popular as 7 mm cases. Do you consider 20 Cal cases as a fad?

I more meant the current consumer sentiment, rather than the caliber itself. It's truly an impressive caliber there's no doubt about it. Swede has been a mound staple for over 100years, because you get to just shoot through those changes :sarcasm: I captured this the other day, and to say I was impressed is an understatement: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/YXwOWFLb448 it was only the second time this bloke had shot his spanking new factory rifle.

SCJ429 wrote:Also I am surprised they let you shoot magpies…….

The complete rejection of magpies would save us all a lot of pain and suffering.
Last edited by in2anity on 11 Jan 2024, 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Dbk » 11 Jan 2024, 9:24 am

I have both a tikka CTR and. Super varmint.

My CTR is 223 and SV is 308

I would have got both as super varmints if I had my time again. Bought CTR first.

If you like target shooting and send round after round out you want the heavier barrel. Plus you get the 5 shot moa guarantee rather than 3shot.
Dbk
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by GreenNeck » 11 Jan 2024, 8:23 pm

I ended up buying a second hand Lithgow LA102 223 synthetic stock, it included an Accura Australia Varminator Rifle Scope 5-30x56 and a Flip out bipod. the bolt face looked pretty clean, with no ridge or damage too see apart from very light surface rust on bolt, barrel looked alright. i only paid $1250 so it wasn't too much considering it's the full package, i just hope the rifle hasn't had too hard a life as the gun shop had no information on it..

Awaiting approval, will post photos once i receive it :)

Thanks for the ammo case recommendation, loading seems like a good idea but i'll get some brass together before i think of loading. i'll definitley buy a case of 900-1000 just have to look around for the best deal.
GreenNeck
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Shootermick » 11 Jan 2024, 9:02 pm

GreenNeck wrote:I ended up buying a second hand Lithgow LA102 223 synthetic stock, it included an Accura Australia Varminator Rifle Scope 5-30x56 and a Flip out bipod. the bolt face looked pretty clean, with no ridge or damage too see apart from very light surface rust on bolt, barrel looked alright. i only paid $1250 so it wasn't too much considering it's the full package, i just hope the rifle hasn't had too hard a life as the gun shop had no information on it..

Thanks for the ammo case recommendation, loading seems like a good idea but i'll get some brass together before i think of loading. i'll definitley buy a case of 900-1000 just have to look around for the best deal.

You won’t go wrong with that choice mate.
Have fun, and let us know how she goes.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Bello » 12 Jan 2024, 8:22 am

This little post is not meant as criticism for anyone.

I am but an average Joe. I get asked about rifle / scope etc combinations from time to time, and I offer the little experience I have in the hope, that I help someone make an informed decision.

I then get some people say, what's the cheapest ammo I can get.

I say, find the ammo THAT rifle likes.

Why spend $$$ on a good quality rifle, good quality rings, mounts, scope bi-pod etc etc, and feed the poor thing the cheapest ammo. :crazy:

Before buying bulk anything, get small quantities of ammo / projectile combinations, you think you may use at the range or in the field and pop down to your local range and see what shoots best.

my 2c :thumbsup:
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 12 Jan 2024, 8:58 am

I agree Bello. Even though i recommended the gameking 900 can, he'd be crazy not to test a few blister packs first. Make sure he gets the accuracy that he needs. But don't forget if it's 55gr - he's not gonna be setting any records on the mound.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Harronek » 14 Jan 2024, 6:18 pm

I have owned and still use both Howa's and Tikka’s
The Howa’s are not as refined , but the one I still own is a true 3/4 inch gun with Fiocchi 60 gr factory ammo and my handloads of 77gr Sierra TMK’s are fractionally better .
The Tikka lived up to it’s factory guarantee of under an inch , but it’s velocities were down due to I think their conscious decision to long throat all of their rifles .
After many rounds down range I made the decision to rebarrel the Tikka to 6x45/6mm223 and I’m still waiting for it to arrive from the gunsmith.
There is always a “ Pride of ownership “ aspect to a firearms purchase and that is up to the individual.
From my experience of numerous purchases including Blaser’s , Sako’s etc the extra you are paying doesn’t result in massive increases in accuracy. You are paying for fit , finish , smoothness and buying into a branded club .
As long as the rifle feeds and functions 100% reliably and can shoot to what you have decided is an acceptable degree of accuracy then what more are you looking for .
After many dollars and rounds down range my only .223 is a Howa that I’ve restocked and altered to my requirements.
Buy a Howa or Tikka , put much more thought/money into the mounts/ rings / scope/ ammo and just wear the barrel out .
When you have actually worn that barrel out you will be the one that is qualified to give advice and not the one asking for it .
A designer knows they have achieved perfection , not when there is nothing left to add , but when there is nothing left to take away .
Harronek
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 17 Jan 2024, 6:29 pm

What makes you think that Tikka or Sako barrels are long throated? I have several and can touch the lands on all of them. The 223 barrel shot good velocities and was very accurate shooting in the low 0.2s. I only replaced it after nearly 5,000 rounds when it was copper fouling badly but it could still manage under 0.5 MOA.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 18 Jan 2024, 8:09 am

SCJ429 wrote:What makes you think that Tikka or Sako barrels are long throated?

I'm going off my big fat sample size of ... x1 (which was a CTR 308 of roughly 2017-18 ilk) and it definately had a longer than SAAMI spec freebore. Not sure if this was by design or not, but I was running impressively long 178gr single fed handloads that grouped bloody well. Rather liked it. Just my little anecdote; maybe my particular chamber was an anomaly :unknown: :drinks:
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Ausmade » 18 Jan 2024, 10:34 am

GreenNeck wrote:I ended up buying a second hand Lithgow LA102 223 synthetic stock, it included an Accura Australia Varminator Rifle Scope 5-30x56 and a Flip out bipod. the bolt face looked pretty clean, with no ridge or damage too see apart from very light surface rust on bolt, barrel looked alright. i only paid $1250 so it wasn't too much considering it's the full package, i just hope the rifle hasn't had too hard a life as the gun shop had no information on it..

My bog standard LA102 in 223 loved the ADI 55gn Blitz King ammo with my best 4 shot group being 0.45" at 200 metres and 0.8" with the 55gn Sierra Super Roo soft points. That is incredible accuracy for 200 metres in anyones language!
Ausmade
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 18 Jan 2024, 10:43 am

Ausmade wrote:My bog standard LA102 in 223 loved the ADI 55gn Blitz King ammo with my best 4 shot group being 0.45" at 200 metres and 0.8" with the 55gn Sierra Super Roo soft points. That is incredible accuracy for 200 metres in anyones language!

Just remember, the blitzking is a frangible bullet meant for expansion. Where the gameking is a more traditional, thicker jacket design (and should therefore be a bit cheaper). I use those super roos for 100m standing target shooting and they are great, and most importantly CHEAP. Well at least they were cheap...

Overall, Sierra bullets rock :mrgreen:
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles