Tikka Super Varmint 6.5CM or CTR in 6.5 PRC

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Tikka Super Varmint 6.5CM or CTR in 6.5 PRC

Post by Don_Stevenson » 19 Jan 2024, 12:02 pm

New year means I've been able to convince my wife to authorise a new rifle for the safe.

Currently got a Lithgow in 22lr and a Taipan Lite in 223 so I'm all set up for rabbits and smaller game as well as general plinking and I'm now looking for something for hunting deer in NSW and for dabbling in some longer range target shooting at Malabar and Hornsby (800m) and potentially out further if I can find places to shoot.

I'm looking at getting a Tikka T3X because I like the look, the feel, the ability to drop it in a chassis and the accuracy.

Heart says get 6.5PRC because it's a bit different and a bit spicier than CM and the local shop has a CTR in 6.5 PRC that they are willing to let go for a discount because of course it's not a popular chambering compared to CM.

Head says get the Super Varmint in 6.5CM because ammo is easier to get.

I know that either is going to be heavier than optimal for a hunting rifle but I'm ok with the extra weight.

Opinions?
Don_Stevenson
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Tikka Super Varmint 6.5CM or CTR in 6.5 PRC

Post by in2anity » 19 Jan 2024, 12:34 pm

Simple. If you can procure AR2217, PRC brass and 140gr 6.5mm projies, all at stomachable prices, then it's a no brainer. Figure that out first.

FANTASTIC rifle btw.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Don_Stevenson » 19 Jan 2024, 12:59 pm

I'm taking that as a vote for the CTR

I'm just concerned my wife's tolerance for a new rifle won't extend to a tolerance for a reloading set up appearing in out house!
Don_Stevenson
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 19 Jan 2024, 1:19 pm

oh nah, i was imaginging the SV in 6.5PRC. They are around. CTR is good, just lacks a couple of nice features like the adjustable comb and two stage trigger (both which i really value). But so long as procuring ammo (hopefully in the form of basic handloading) is feasible.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 19 Jan 2024, 1:31 pm

Even creedmore ammo is disgustingly expensive. Supply and demand... you see.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Don_Stevenson » 19 Jan 2024, 3:05 pm

The SV in 6.5 PRC would be a 3 month wait at least.

The adjustable comb I can live without as I'm about 90% sure I will drop it into a chassis within 6 months.

The 1 vs 2 stage trigger is something I need to think about, I don't think I've ever used a 2 stage.

As for Ammo, CM ammo is not cheap but it is far more readily available than PRC. The local shop had 3-4 brands of CM but doesn't routinely stock PRC.
Don_Stevenson
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 19 Jan 2024, 5:58 pm

Don_Stevenson wrote:I'm taking that as a vote for the CTR

I'm just concerned my wife's tolerance for a new rifle won't extend to a tolerance for a reloading set up appearing in out house!

If you're stuck with factory ammo I'd go Creedmoor, unless you can get a deal on a thousand rounds of the CTR so you know you'll always have some on hamd.

If you think it's ever likely you might come down to Victoria to hunt sambar or red then the 6.5mm wont be legal, you need a bullet of .270" diameter. I'd look at 7mm options myself.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Don_Stevenson » 20 Jan 2024, 9:19 am

The Factory ammo thing is a consideration but I can ask the local shop to order me in a bunch and then I will just swallow hard and stock up. It may also be the catalyst for taking up reloading later in the year.

The VIC deer hunting thing is not really a concern although it is annoying that the difference between what is legal and not is so small.
Don_Stevenson
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 20 Jan 2024, 11:27 am

Both will do well out at 800 metres, even your 223 with a decent barrel would shoot well at that distance. Why not buy a second hand T3 and put a barrel in it and chamber it in what ever you want with your preferred chamber specs?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 21 Jan 2024, 5:46 am

Are you sure u will b ok with the extra weight ? Have u actually carried a heavy rifle in the field ? They get real heavy real quick
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 21 Jan 2024, 5:46 am

Are you sure u will b ok with the extra weight ? Have u actually carried a heavy rifle in the field ? They get real heavy real quick
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Billo » 21 Jan 2024, 7:55 am

PRC, the CM is some what lacking in the grunt department
22lr, 20 Hornady Hornet, 6mm ARC, 270 Win, 308 Win, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 S&W
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 22 Jan 2024, 7:23 am

OP you've probably already purchased something - but I happened to have a go on a SV 6.5CM on Saturday on the 700m mound - sweet jesus mary mother of god are they accurate, for what they are. My mate's been using the 140gr SMK over 09, and man that thing can shoot. I really love that trigger too - I only have a Davies single stage on my target rifle, but without question a two stage is easier to pick up for target work. The PRC is a great idea, but the creedmore will do everything you need and still buck the wind like a champ. So yeah +1 for the SV, in either caliber.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Don_Stevenson » 22 Jan 2024, 9:36 am

Surprisingly, I haven't yet run out to order/buy something. I got hamstrung by my ute going into the smash repairer on Friday and the shop being shut on Sunday.

At the moment I'm probably going to pick up the CTR in 6.5 PRC, run it stock for a while and then save up and drop it into a lightweight chassis. The SV looks sweet but the barrel profile is heavier and its going to be about $500 more than the CTR which I can put toward the chassis.
Don_Stevenson
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 22 Jan 2024, 10:16 am

Fair enough. We were discussing the pros and cons of PRC on Sat. The PRC burns more powder, like (308+223)'s worth of powder per bang lol. Nonetheless, the PRC will shoot through a twitchy wind better. And that's a good thing for starting out - you can focus more on the shooting bit rather than monitoring the wind bit.

And about the single stage - as i mentioned I happen to use singles on both my primary competition rifles, and i'm used to it. I think the benefit of a two stage is that it's easier when starting out to "feel" where the break is, after the takeup. They are good for quick fire events as well, like service. But once you're used to a single, it's muscle memory anyway.

So yar, the CTR will shoot bloody well no doubt about it. Presume it's the 24" CTR you're going for? CTR is still too heavy to carry around IMHO.
Last edited by in2anity on 22 Jan 2024, 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Don_Stevenson » 22 Jan 2024, 4:20 pm

Update - I managed to get out to the shop today and pick up the CTR (24" barrel).

A quick dryfire shows that the trigger has zero take up and breaks very cleanly. Not sure at what weight but I'm estimating at about 1/3 to 1/2 the Taipans trigger.

The barrel is definitely a hunk of steel but I'm a big guy and I do a ****** of weight training and martial arts so I don't think it will be too bad (maybe famous last words). Its certainly lighter than my reference firearm of the Minimi I had to carry in the Army, after that almost anything is light!

Excited to get this set up and take it to the range. I've got a spare 3-9 scope sitting around that I will chuck on while I figure out what I want to buy to top it and then I'll think about next steps.

Thanks for everyones input, I did go back and forward on what to get while reading comments.
Don_Stevenson
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 24 Jan 2024, 6:37 pm

If you think the Minimi is heavy you should try lugging the Pig around with some link attached.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Don_Stevenson » 25 Jan 2024, 11:53 am

I will be forever grateful that the Army had moved away from 7.62 squad machine guns. I didn't mind the Minimi but it was still 9kg or whatever.
Don_Stevenson
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Don_Stevenson » 25 Jan 2024, 1:09 pm

IMG_1851.jpg
IMG_1851.jpg (134.98 KiB) Viewed 2454 times
Looking at my calendar I have a couple of busy weeks coming up so I decided to throw my spare 3-9 scope and the bipod from my 22 on it and squeeze in a range session today.

I bought a box each of Winchester 140gr BTHP match and Hornady 147 ELD-X.

First impressions - This is my first Tikka and the action lives up to their reputation for being smooth. I could feel the winchester round chambering (just) but the Hornadys went in so smoothly tyhat a couple of times I wondered if it had fed.

The trigger is really, really nice compared to anything I've owned. I like the trigger on my LA101 but this is noticeably lighter and without any noticeable creep. It's obviously substantially lighter then the Taipan. I'm sure there are "better" triggers out there and you could lighten this but I can't see myself touching this for a fair while.

The factory stock is light and functional but nothing special.

Boresighting the 3-9 was easy and I was zeroed with a handful of shots. Recoil was about the same as a 308 or maybe a bit less. It was noticeable coming from the 223 but as long as I had my shoulder into the cushy recoil pad I could have shot for a long time without discomfort (except in the bank account!)

I shot 3 x 3 rnd groups with the Winchester, best group was 10mm at 50m, worst was 15mm but I felt myself slap the third round on that one.

Switched to the Hornady - 4 x 3 shot groups best group 7mm worst group 12mm so all under MOA.

The fat crosshairs and slightly dodgy bipod didn't help so I think once I mount a better scope and bipod this will shoot even a bit better but I'm very happy with it so far.
Don_Stevenson
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by zbenga » 28 Jan 2024, 6:50 pm

looks like a nice one

I'm about to pull the trigger on a 6.5 and can't choose between the CTR, TAC A1 and LA105, all in 6.5 CM

Want to get into PRS and although it would make sense to go to 6mm we live in a country where 6mm is unobtanium and importing a barrel in 6mm is not worth the hassle

147grains seems to be the sweet spot for those...
zbenga
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Larry » 28 Jan 2024, 9:32 pm

zbenga wrote:looks like a nice one

I'm about to pull the trigger on a 6.5 and can't choose between the CTR, TAC A1 and LA105, all in 6.5 CM

Want to get into PRS and although it would make sense to go to 6mm we live in a country where 6mm is unobtanium and importing a barrel in 6mm is not worth the hassle

You dont need to import a barrel you could purchase a Bartlien or a Krieger from the distributors here in Australia. Depending on the profile and twist rate you want you may have to wait for one or they may have one in stock. Bartlien can be purchased from http://www.7mm.com.au/ and Krieger from SARA.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by SCJ429 » 29 Jan 2024, 6:22 pm

zbenga wrote:looks like a nice one

I didn’t realise it was so difficult. I just bought two 6mm barrels with 1:8 twist from my gunsmith. I should have bought more.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by zbenga » 29 Jan 2024, 7:24 pm

was looking after a Brux in 6mm dasher, actually 2 of them but I'll try the LA105 and see what it can do, decided to support the locals but put in a order from two blanks from brux ... 7-9 months wait .. nice
zbenga
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by phill55phill » 31 Jan 2024, 5:19 pm

No brainer 6.5 prc speed kills
phill55phill
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by phill55phill » 31 Jan 2024, 5:19 pm

No brainer 6.5 prc speed kills
phill55phill
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by gunderson » 31 Jan 2024, 6:16 pm

yeah I'd take fast over slow all day long
gunderson
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Don_Stevenson » 26 Mar 2024, 12:09 pm

Tikka_CTR.jpg
Tikka_CTR.jpg (494.39 KiB) Viewed 1469 times
Update

The CTR action has been dropped into an MDT HNT26 chassis and topped with a Vortex Viper PST gen 2 3-15x.

I could only get the HNT26 in Mlok configuration so added an ARCA rail and an MDT GRND pod bipod.

Finished off with the MDT Comp muzzle brake.

I've now run a few boxes of Winchester through it and the accuracy is great but I get a failure to chamber in 2 out of every 20 rounds.

Hornady Match runs like a dream but is of course a lot more expensive.
Don_Stevenson
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 26 Mar 2024, 12:56 pm

I am guessing that barrel life never came into the equation congrats on a very nice rifle.
I hope you are going to be hand loading It is a very expensive calibre for ammo .
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Don_Stevenson » 08 Apr 2024, 1:24 pm

deye243 wrote:I am guessing that barrel life never came into the equation congrats on a very nice rifle.
I hope you are going to be hand loading It is a very expensive calibre for ammo .

It's not going to be a high volume rifle. I'll use it for hunting and some dabbling in longer range shooting but I reckon if I put 200 rounds through it in a year I will be doing well. I've got a Taipan lite and a 22 for when I want to shoot lots!

I thought about handloading but the set up cost and time required are putting me off at the moment.
Don_Stevenson
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 08 Apr 2024, 1:37 pm

Don_Stevenson wrote:
deye243 wrote:I am guessing that barrel life never came into the equation congrats on a very nice rifle.

It's not going to be a high volume rifle. I'll use it for hunting and some dabbling in longer range shooting but I reckon if I put 200 rounds through it in a year I will be doing well. I've got a Taipan lite and a 22 for when I want to shoot lots!

I thought about handloading but the set up cost and time required are putting me off at the moment.

Yes when I see the prices for a decent reloading setup I can see why so many use factory loads .
And at that rate of use it will last a long time .
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles