303 cleaning patches

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

303 cleaning patches

Post by Gun-nut » 29 Jan 2024, 10:45 pm

Hey all,

Just wondering what material people are using for cleaning patches? Do you cut your own or buy them pre sized? If the latter I assume standard 30 cal patches will work fine for the 303 despite the bore diameter of .311?

Cheers everyone.
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: 303 cleaning patches

Post by No1Mk3 » 30 Jan 2024, 1:28 am

30 cal patches will work fine, I have plenty of 4x2 so make my own, not to mention old flannel sheets and t-shirts
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 30 Jan 2024, 3:03 am

Gun-nut wrote:Hey all,

Just wondering what material people are using for cleaning patches? Do you cut your own or buy them pre sized? If the latter I assume standard 30 cal patches will work fine for the 303 despite the bore diameter of .311?

Cheers everyone.

I bought lots of rolls of "4x2" years ago so I just cut my own.
Yes. .303 is .30-cal.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by straightshooter » 31 Jan 2024, 8:13 am

Bought!!!
Oh what horror.
Worn out bedlinen torn into long strips and cut to size as needed for the caliber or better still light coloured flannelette pyjamas with vertical stripes for ease of cutting.
Waste not want not.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Border_Bloke » 31 Jan 2024, 2:22 pm

But the bedlinen doesn't have those nice blue lines that show you where to tear it so its the right width :D
Border_Bloke
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by JohnV » 31 Jan 2024, 5:00 pm

You can save a lot of money by just using a roll of chux toweling from Bunnings . Tear it into strips lengthwise . Wrap it around a straight wrap jag so it fits nice and firm in the bore . You can use that for every rifle calibre by using the right bore jag and adjust the strip width and wraps . Once you get used to it it's easy and cheap . To do the chamber just wrap a big thicker wad and mop out the chamber . To do the locking lug recess which I highly recommend , use round dental wads . Drill a hole at the end of a piece of dowel crosswise so the dental pad can squeeze into that . Trim it to width and then insert into the lug recess and twist around . Don't forget to put a small dot of moly grease on each bolt lug mating surface after cleaning the recess . I have not used any 4x2 or cut patches in decades . Cut patches used on a piercing type jag are a bit quicker for comp shooters BR shooters etc. but if you don't need speed then chux toweling does the deed .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Return to Centerfire rifles