Leverevolution .357 mag

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Leverevolution .357 mag

Post by in2anity » 02 Apr 2024, 8:50 pm

It’s was mostly a 30-30 campaign wasn't it? Like sure, it’s also offered in the other pills, but the 30-30 was the flagship product back when it came out. think the BC is up around .33 for the 30-30 version which is kinda noteworthy for the 30-30 which was traditionally below .3

I’ve shot the 30-30 FTX pills, over a full case of LVR powder, out to 500m steel before with an impressive degree of consistency (for what it is). The old flat nose pills don’t fair as well under wind.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Obie73 » 03 Apr 2024, 8:42 am

For shorter ranges, up to 100m, maybe if the BC is worse for .357 FTX projectiles it doesn't really matter much. The main thing for me is group size at those shorter ranges which, where I shoot, might be greatly influenced by the wind factor. I won't know until I try them in my model 73. For me, group size is all, not energy or any other factor. It's interesting that for the 30/30 the BC is better but for the .357 and .44 mags it's not. I got really interested in this whole lever action competition shooting when I saw my wife's brother shoot a 3.5" group (or smaller -- we didn't measure it) at 100m with a Henry 30/30 during a comp and that was with the FTX. But my interest is with the .357 mag.
Obie73
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Obie73 » 03 Apr 2024, 8:51 am

Quote: "For me, group size is all, not energy or any other factor"

-- which brings me back to a point a made earlier on this forum, that on Youtube nearly all of the .357 mag videos -- which by far are made by Americans -- go on and on only about energy and penetration. They almost never discuss accuracy. I don't understand this at all, as I was brought up by my dad to see accuracy as king. If the Americans want to shoot bigger game and stop it in its tracks, just select a .45/70 LA or a .458 Win bolt action. And there you have it. But they always seem obsessed with getting maximum energy out of small rounds.So boring.

Yes, I know, if I'm interested in accuracy why do I bother with the .357 and just shoot a 243 bolt action or something similar? Apparently my interest in an accurate pistol-round LA rifle is just too niche for most.
Obie73
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 03 Apr 2024, 10:05 am

To quote many a fullbore shooter "Accuracy is king, speed is prince. Trust the target". Point being, that everything else comes second to accuracy.

It's said that worldwide, more deer having been taken with 22lr than any other cartridge. Obviously this is never to be condoned, but the reason it happens is because precisely braining a deer at 50m or closer, is well within the realms of possible... and often our 22lrs group well enough to facilitate such a thing.

TLDR: seek out on-target accuracy above all else, via real world testing. The FTX indeed may yield this. In my experience they are a high consistency pill compared with their bretheren. :drinks:
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by mickb » 16 Apr 2024, 7:17 pm

Obie73 wrote:Yes don't like Rossi rifles myself. Had a 92 model that sort of bulged out the brass a bit at the base of the brass (near the primer). Had to take it back for a refund. The chamfer at the opening of the chamber was obviously cut too wide. Sounds like occasionally you can get a great one though. I've got .357 rifles by Miroku Winchester and Uberti, both 1873 models. Love that model. The cartridge stays parallel with the bore when being lifted up from the magazine. Thus, the chamber is less chamfered at its mouth and the base of the brass more supported by the walls of the chamber.

73's are lovely actions, nothing like seeing the lifter in action. I've had 5 rossi 92's, some needed tweaking/smoothing, all worked out okay. Though I have seen other folks with warranty issues. Of mine 4 out of 5 were able to feed both magnum and the short special rounds( 38sp and 44sp in the respective magnums), one 44mag I could never get 44 specials to feed in though.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Obie73 » 17 Apr 2024, 1:54 pm

"It's said that worldwide, more deer having been taken with 22lr than any other cartridge"

That doesn't surprise me. Yes not to be condoned but it's understandable, especially years ago when people had to make do with what they had, and eat ....

My dad and my grand dad used to shoot enormous kangaroos east of Grafton on the small farm my grand dad came from (not far from where Russell Crowe now lives). Dad said they were as big as a man. They needed the meat and the skins. They used a tiny, single shot .22 LR that I still have. They would put in the effort to stalk really close to the roos, and get them with a single shot to the head. Down they would drop like a stone, where they stood. My dad was a great shot.

"73's are lovely actions, nothing like seeing the lifter in action."

They sure are. They're just a little longer than 92 actions but I agree that brass lifter thing is a thing of beauty to see it function. I appreciate that many people love their Rossis. Perhaps I will give Rossis another go at some stage.

I'm out to the range again soon.
Obie73
Private
Private

Queensland

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles